Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #15

Another consideration is what effect the U.S. EPA emission standards have on the engine reliability. 2007 was a major milestone with engine makers having to meet much stricter levels. I've heard that EGR valves in 2007 engines were problematic. 2010 engines I believe use SCR vs EGR....rather than have the "cleaning" done inside the engine, it is done by a diesel particulate filter. Easier on the engine and more reliable. But I'm no expert on engines. But the technology in 2007 and 2010 is pretty different.
PorscheVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #16

We have a 2008 Mandalay 40G. It has everything that was on our list for our next rv, Every Mandalay owner we talked to all agree that they, like us are very happy with our choice.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheVille View Post
Another consideration is what effect the U.S. EPA emission standards have on the engine reliability. 2007 was a major milestone with engine makers having to meet much stricter levels. I've heard that EGR valves in 2007 engines were problematic. 2010 engines I believe use SCR vs EGR....rather than have the "cleaning" done inside the engine, it is done by a diesel particulate filter. Easier on the engine and more reliable. But I'm no expert on engines. But the technology in 2007 and 2010 is pretty different.

What you say is correct. The EGR valves were introduced on various engines between '03-'07. The DPF is on engines produced after 1/2007. The DEF system is on engines after 1/2010. These systems are additive so a current engine is equipped with EGR, DPF and DEF. It is true that the current EGR system has been detuned somewhat because of the DEF system. That is why the current engines carry a slightly higher HP rating and may get slightly better Milage.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #18

fortunately and unfortunately we are not quite ready to pull the trigger yet either due to our current situation. I went on the Tiffin RV network and the majority of the posts state if you are full timing do not get anything but a tag axle.

When we first started looking into this way of life we originally thought under 30 ft would be good. Then we saw a 36 footer with a w/d set up. Now people are suggesting tag axle which is 42 ft minimum. That doesn't include a possible car being towed. I am just getting a little nervous thinking about driving something with that kind of length. I am just glad we have time still to look into this more.
rbaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaris View Post
fortunately and unfortunately we are not quite ready to pull the trigger yet either due to our current situation. I went on the Tiffin RV network and the majority of the posts state if you are full timing do not get anything but a tag axle.

When we first started looking into this way of life we originally thought under 30 ft would be good. Then we saw a 36 footer with a w/d set up. Now people are suggesting tag axle which is 42 ft minimum. That doesn't include a possible car being towed. I am just getting a little nervous thinking about driving something with that kind of length. I am just glad we have time still to look into this more.
Fulltime needs vary across the board. I know people who fulltime in a class B We have a 35ft coach and I would not go bigger because we spend time boondockng where you could never get a 42ft diesel pusher in the area. It all depends on your needs/wants.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #20

dont worry about what 'others' say, we all have our own likes and needs-
some like 10' as enough for them, while someone else will complain that their 45' ain't enough!
We love our 35', and we have two teenagers!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaris View Post

We're in a similar situation...doing our research before making the plunge, plus it wouldn't be for 'full-timing', as several months at a time would probably be where we'd start, as we'd miss our kids/grandkids too much. I personally wouldn't want a tag axle unit, more because of the acquired additional tire cost, and I'm pretty sure we would be more than comfortable with something in the 36' - 40' length.
Was just reading this morning, of a couple 'full-timing' in a 990 slide in camper....so if folks can spend that much time in a unit of that size (we currently own one of that size as well) all the power to them, but we'd drive one another crazy! Even now, the camper works for short trips, but long periods of time sitting at the dinette isn't my cup of tea either.
To each his/her own, but I'm thinking a full size Class A is where I want to start, and try and be happy with my decision. It seems most on these forums seem to be having a ball with their coach/buses!

Tags
tiffin