Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Phaeton vs Allegro Bus

Hopefully within a year or so my wife and I are thinking of joining the RV full timer world. At this time we do not currently own a motorhome but I have been looking and investigating quite a few models. I am narrowing the choices down to class A diesel, no larger than 37 ft.

At this point I have narrowed down the possibilities to the 2009-2011 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH or the Allegro Bus 2009-2011 36 QSP. These seem to be my favorite models at this time.

If possible can I get some input on these choices with some pros and cons on both. All info or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 04:04 PM   #2

Tiffin

Check the Tiffin owner's forum

Old 03-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #3

If you go to the Tiffin RV Network, you will find an abundance of information from owners of these units. I have an older Allegro Bus and can tell you that in general, some of the interior finishes, amenities and materials are a little nicer in the bus, but not a lot. Also, the Phaeton is a rear radiator and the Bus is a side radiator. Side radiator makes it easier to access the engine and the radiator stays a little cleaner. Other than that, they are very similar. We do love our Bus.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #4
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaris View Post
Hopefully within a year or so my wife and I are thinking of joining the RV full timer world. At this time we do not currently own a motorhome but I have been looking and investigating quite a few models. I am narrowing the choices down to class A diesel, no larger than 37 ft.

At this point I have narrowed down the possibilities to the 2009-2011 Tiffin Phaeton 36 QSH or the Allegro Bus 2009-2011 36 QSP. These seem to be my favorite models at this time.

If possible can I get some input on these choices with some pros and cons on both. All info or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
I have owned both; a 2006 Phaeton and a 2007 Bus. The Bus by far is better! Among its features is IFS, Smart steering wheel, the cabinets overall, fit and finish is a lot nicer.

Good luck with your search!
Old 04-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #5

Phaeton 2009 QSH

We love the layout and with the 4 slides there is ample room.Handling and fit & finish of our Coach is very good. I have been in a # of Busses and will say the interior is a little nicer but not a lot. The 36 with a 228 wheelbase is great for maneuvering and the 360 hp. Cummings is a good fit. I would say that the side radiator on the Bus is a plus as far as maintenance goes. When it comes to cost I would say the Phaeton has the edge. My Thoughts . Rich
Old 04-04-2015, 09:02 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you go to the Tiffin plant you will find that it takes longer to make the Allegro Bus than it does to make a phaeton. Some of the things that are standard on the bus are either options on the Phaeton or not available. Both units are nice and have nice finishes. I do not remember the exact numbers but when i toured the plant they told how many phaetons they can build a week and how many Allegro buses they can turn out. It might be worth while to take a tour of the factory if you can. I already had my allegro bus when i toured and it was a very educational and rewarding experience.

For full timing go with at least a 40 foot with 4 slides. I have been living in our 38 foot for the last year. We are not full timers just took a temporary job that was a lot longer than expected. If I knew I was going to be living in my MH this long I would have looked at 45 foot quad slides.

the diference between the 37 and 40 will not be that noticeable driving, parking etc. The difference in interior space will be huge. Having a love seat and sofa for instance will give some more seating space if you have company. More kitchen storage space etc. You will really apreciate it if you go full time.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #7

rbaris
If I were contemplating full time RVing, I would surely be looking for a tag axle coach.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:15 AM   #8

We are fulltimers now and just upgraded from a 40 foot Discovery 3 slide to a 40 foot Phaeton 4 slide. That would be my minimum for two people full time. A 40 diesel with 4 slides. Buy that first and you won't have to upgrade next year.
kb9tf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #9

We bought a 2010 Phaeton 42QBH. We had a 30ft and two 36ft Diesels. I was leery about driving the 42FT QBH. I find it easier to drive than a smaller class A. The tag axle's amazing on the highway as wind from passing 18 wheelers is unnoticeable. The two bathrooms really sold me. We stay in it 5-6 months at a time. Full time it would be like being in a house.. Before you spend those big dollars, drive one with a tag. I've spoken to many a Tiffin owners about the "wind sway" even new 40 fters and they still get buffeted......

ROB n Ellie and Lil "Tater"
2010 Phaeton QBH
2003 Rubicon Toad
Old 04-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #10

Thank you all for your input. It has been very helpful and has given me a lot more to think about and look into.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I believe that the years you are looking at, the Phaeton (and maybe the Bus too) were having problems with roof, wetbay, and one other item I don't remember what it was.

Your best bet would be to go to the Tiffin forum and ask questions there and get straight answers from those with experience.

Our Phaeton (2013) has been practically error free. A few minor problems that I either fixed myself or had Tiffin fix them at the Redmond OR FMCA rally last year.

Yes the Bus does have more extras that are normally standard whereas the Phaeton have them as options. There really isn't that much difference, but I can say that when we bought our Phaeton, if we had the $$ to spare, we would have gone with the Bus.

I also agree with others....the tag makes a big difference in driving albeit a little less basement storage. I will never have another mh without a tag.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:44 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What is the benefit of the tag axles?
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #13

Tags give a smoother and more stable ride especially when it's windy they also can handle more weight. I would not want a coach without a tag.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaris View Post

Nice to see another person in a similar spot as myself, as I've recently retired, and the two motorhomes mentioned above are my favorites as well, albeit the better deals for the budget minded, are in the 2004 - 2007 era it seems. I realize we're all different in how we want to use a unit of this size as well, as my wife and I tend to keep on the move rather than staying in one spot for too long. My wife is very active, and doesn't care to sit for long periods either, so I have to build that into our plan too.
I kind of like the Mandalay unit's, and Newmar overall has some nice floor plans as well, albeit, Tiffin often surpasses most others more often than not.
I keep hearing, to do lots of research (one of the reasons I'm here) as there is just so much to know prior to making one's purchase. My main thing is finding the right coach now, rather than reselling, and buying over and over as some have done, as just the taxes alone is throwing good $$ after bad. My inlaws have recently sold their motorhome, as they got to an age where the eyes just where not good enough for the safe operation of owning one, so they now fly to destinations. He started out with a slide in camper, went to two different fifth wheels, and eventually a motorhome....and as much as I love my pickup, I think I'll go 'straight' to a motorhome coach/bus!
One question came up the other day that I didn't have an answer to, that being what is the cost of 'insurance' on a large 37'-40' coach? I assume there are many options with regard to buying insurance, just like any other vehicle, but is there an average that most of you seem to put out annually?
Do many of you 'tow' with your coaches? Just wondering the difficulty in finding campsites when pulling a trailer (I have a 18' enclosed trailer with quads) and your length is higher than most?
I'm sure I'll have a million questions prior to making my purchase, but I do see 'many' coaches for sale out there these days, so I'll do my research, and come up with a unit I'll be proud to own for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Tags
tiffin