Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2017, 03:19 PM   #1

Tiffin Quality Degeneration

I have a ton of problems with my 2016 Bus. Most every one has been quality of build issues, not vendor-related ones. For example:
1. Two-speed brake didn't work. Problem found: miswire. Solution: Re-wire from switch in cockpit to brake.
2. Suspension air bag deflated during travel. VERY harsh ride when that happens. Problem found: Ride-height sensor arm fell off. Solution: Reattach. (Really? Just reattach when it falls off??)
3. Shower drain leaks all over floor. Problem found: Misaligned show drain. Solution: A bunch of caulk.
4. Engine compartment door strut broke off. Problem found: Attachment point not properly bonded to fiberglass. Solution: Don't know yet. Fixed three times and broke 3 times.
5. Water flooded in motorhome. Problem: Crimps on pipes too low from fitting. Solution: Not yet sure - I found several more with bad crimps.

I have a list of 86 (and counting) items and 90%+ are Tiffin quality issues. Worse yet, I attend Tiffin Club Rallies and have been to the Tiffin Service Center (in fact there now), and am hearing a constant barrage of similar, and sometimes much worse, quality of build issues.

I'm sorry, but "these are just machines built by human beings" (an actual Tiffin service adviser quote) is a bit short of customer satisfaction. I hear stories that 2017 units are experiencing much less issues that 2016, which appears to be an exceptionally bad year. Couple that with the new (2015) Tiffin policy of only fixing coaches at their Red Bay service center that are 4 years old or newer just tells me that Tiffin is drowning in service-related issues. Too bad. They used to have a good reputation.

This is not my first "rodeo". This is my third motorhome and had several camping trailers. My previous experiences were a small number of problems. Nothing approaching the 80's in number of issues. The "good old days" are behind us in terms of Tiffin quality. Too bad. I've always been a big fan.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sure hate to hear that Tiffin is having so many problems!
Old 06-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Seems like a lot of RV manufacturers are having more trouble lately.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #4

I wont discount your list of 80+ issues but dang that is a lot.

We just picked up our 2017 and have a list of 3 items, mostly minor that I'm likely to fix myself.

In my world of one Tiffin owner - quality to me was top notch from what we received.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #5

My son had his 2016 Mountain Aire back the the Newmar factory three times in the first seven months with 45+ items mostly quality control. He had had enough and sold it two months ago and went to another brand. It's not just a Tiffin problem.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:25 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Sorry to hear of your troubles, it really, REALLY, takes the fun out of buying a nice rig.

We have a Tuscany that we almost traded in recently to just make the problems go away, the truth is we would just be trading old problems for new ones while losing a bucket of cash doing it. We decided to keep the Tuscany and work through some issues. None of our issues would keep us from using the coach, just some frustrations.

For what the manufacturers charge for a nice pusher you would think they would be near perfect when they get to the dealer's lot, but they aren't. Some of the quality issues are a downright joke.

There is light at the end of the tunnel just hang in there.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry to hear that as well, every once in a while I get on the Tiffin forum and it seems like things are pretty good. They definitely use high quality products in their mid and high end units. Regards
Old 06-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #8

Production of RV's in the U.S. is at a record high, these companies are pushing out units as fast as they can. In addition hiring people at $12.00 per hour guarantees a high turnover and a reduction of quality.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This is one of the reasons I prefer to buy a "gently used" MH! By that time someone else has gone through all this turmoil and hopefully gotten all the bugs out!
Old 06-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #10

It's too bad they have let it slip like you have experienced. Our 2013 Bus only had a few issues that the dealer took care of right away. After four years, our only expense is annual servicing of the engine/generator and aqua-hot. That's the way they should all be. Good luck
Old 06-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #11

Rjsupersonic hit the nail on the head. Demand and profits are soaring and all they see is $$$$$.
Let's not even start on the 12.00-15.00 employees they are hiring and charging 140.00 an hour for, and it doesn't matter how long it takes for the repair, the longer the better. Try to do most every thing my self it's still less frustrating.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #12

It's not just Tiffin.

Chuck Woodbury, the Editor of RV Travel Newsletter posted an article in the latest edition about the working conditions in RV factories in Elkhart, Indiana.
In the article, he also references a recent Reuters article on the RV industry.
As he says....quite an eye opener.
It exposes exactly why there is little RV quality control today.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #13

Sorry to hear about your Tiffin as well. I have a 2017 Fleetwood Diesel Pusher and purchased in Sept of 2016. 9 times in service to this day and picking back up tomorrow. It appears it doesn't matter what brand you have these days because that all have issues and bad service techs. I'm very frustrated as I can't believe you pay so much for these rigs and you are in service more than enjoying your trips. Very exhausting and disappointing and I try to keep an open mind that it will get better. Good luck!!
Old 06-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
This is one of the reasons I prefer to buy a "gently used" MH! By that time someone else has gone through all this turmoil and hopefully gotten all the bugs out!
X2!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
quality, tiffin