Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2016, 06:37 AM   #1

Tiffin Replacement parts?

Good morning,

I'm new to the group and happy to be here!

We have a 2008 Diesel Tiffin Allegro. We love our RV, but unfortunately have not have the best luck with it. We bought it in late 2013. We are the 2nd owners and the first owners appeared to have take excellent care of it. It only had 15,000 miles on it. In 2014 we took it on a 2 week trip out west. Day 2 the awning popped open while driving down the interstate and pretty much shredded it. Day 3 of the trip the engine was obviously having trouble. We pulled over at a rest stop, found a mechanic familiar with Diesel engines (not easy) and pretty much lost our RV for the rest of the trip. The engine had to be replaced. It was mess. Well, here we are 2 years later trying to get the awning replaced and to find a replacement backing camera (ours stopped working and our local RV repair can't fix it and says it needs replaced).

So, here are my questions.....

1. It seems like we've had multiple issues with our Tiffin. The engine thing totally blew us away. We went with a diesel thinking the engine (with 15,000 miles on it) thinking it would last forever, but that clearly didn't happen. The awning popping out while driving seems kind of like an unfortunate fluke, but now with the backing camera not working, we've had trouble with the electric drivers seat working and issues in general with the AC/DC working in the coach not working (it pops something in the fuse box). Is this kind of stuff normal with Tiffins? I feel like we really did our homework before we bought an RV (we always did pull behinds before) and Tiffin seemed to come out on top every time.

2. Where is the best place to get a replacement awning that will match and a new camera? Our local RV place can replace an awning and camera, no problem. I called Tiffin and they said the closest recommended place to fix our problems was 2 hours away. Is there a place online where we can order tiffin parts?

Thanks guys! We appreciate any info you can give.

Julie
Juliemom27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 07:06 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliemom27 View Post
Good morning,

I'm new to the group and happy to be here!

We have a 2008 Diesel Tiffin Allegro. We love our RV, but unfortunately have not have the best luck with it. We bought it in late 2013. We are the 2nd owners and the first owners appeared to have take excellent care of it. It only had 15,000 miles on it. In 2014 we took it on a 2 week trip out west. Day 2 the awning popped open while driving down the interstate and pretty much shredded it. Day 3 of the trip the engine was obviously having trouble. We pulled over at a rest stop, found a mechanic familiar with Diesel engines (not easy) and pretty much lost our RV for the rest of the trip. The engine had to be replaced. It was mess. Well, here we are 2 years later trying to get the awning replaced and to find a replacement backing camera (ours stopped working and our local RV repair can't fix it and says it needs replaced).

So, here are my questions.....

1. It seems like we've had multiple issues with our Tiffin. The engine thing totally blew us away. We went with a diesel thinking the engine (with 15,000 miles on it) thinking it would last forever, but that clearly didn't happen. The awning popping out while driving seems kind of like an unfortunate fluke, but now with the backing camera not working, we've had trouble with the electric drivers seat working and issues in general with the AC/DC working in the coach not working (it pops something in the fuse box). Is this kind of stuff normal with Tiffins? I feel like we really did our homework before we bought an RV (we always did pull behinds before) and Tiffin seemed to come out on top every time.

2. Where is the best place to get a replacement awning that will match and a new camera? Our local RV place can replace an awning and camera, no problem. I called Tiffin and they said the closest recommended place to fix our problems was 2 hours away. Is there a place online where we can order tiffin parts?

Thanks guys! We appreciate any info you can give.

Julie
Tiffin did not make the awning. Tiffin did not make the engine. Tiffin did not make the back up camera. You have not had a problem a problem with Tiffin, you have had a problem with supplier parts. This is the problem I had with many of my customers. Trying to make them understand that most of the problems they have are not from Fleetwood or Tiffin,but from the suppliers. Maybe someday Honda will start making motorhome equipment and we can buy a motorhome with decent parts.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:19 AM   #3

Sorry to hear about your troubles. If I had begun the relationship with my new motorhome with a diesel engine replacement I'm not sure I would have started my post with We love our RV. Anyway, you've been at this for a couple of years so I admire your persistence.

Regarding your camera -- in my limited experience with RV shops they seem to like the replace the whole system approach. I sympathize with them, there is a lot of varied technology to have the expertise to fix it all. That's why you'll run into many on this forum who try to do the work themselves. Your camera system may need a replacement camera or cable or maybe just a little attention to connections, but troubleshooting and running down parts on the Internet for a system that's likely discontinued takes time and dedication.

Regarding your awning -- do you need to replace the whole thing or just the fabric? If it's just a fabric issue there are many vendors who sell all varieties. If it's the mechanism itself, can you provide some manufacturer's info? I wouldn't think this should be a big challenge for this group.

Anyway, welcome to the group. I hope you get things sorted out.

Charlie
Bloodyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin parts, like your camera, are easy to come by. Email Tiffin Parts (parts.tiffinmotorhomes.com) and include your VIN number, and description or photo of the part.

Some of the vendor supplied parts are easier to get through the manufacturer but checking with Tiffin Parts is not a bad idea either.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with Ga Traveler - your problem really isn't Tiffin, or anything Tiffin did or didn't do. And most of the parts you are talking about are from suppliers who sell them to anybody who wants them, either direct or through a vender or retail dealer. You certainly don't need Tiffin to get you an awning or a camera. Just Google the part name or part model (e.g. Carefree for the awning) and you should find lots of sources. PPL Motorhome Parts is one good choice.

It's hard to imagine what caused any engine, diesel or gas, to fail at 15,000 miles, but if not an engine (Cummins?) defect, it had to be lack of care. Even then, it's hard to imagine why it had to be totally replaced. Too late now, but was Cummins contacted about possible warranty help? You were out of the 5 year base warranty, but the miles were so low that they might make an exception.

The sort of stuff you describe sounds pretty much common with all large motorhomes. Some of it is perhaps traceable to poor assembly quality by Tiffin, but their methods and quality control are about the same as Fleetwood, Thor, and others. These are complex beasts and it seems something is always breaking down...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, parts, replace, replacement, tiffin