Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #1

Tiffin vs. Entegra vs. Winnebago

My wife and I have been researching our next home for three-plus years now and we are ready to pull the trigger. We are 55-year-old working professionals who are looking to travel, work from our RV and visit future grandchildren. Whatever we buy needs to be a driver, it will not sit on a lot! We live in Northwestern PA and I have visited the Cummins plant in Jamestown, NY numerous times.

We have narrowed our search to the 2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus, 2013 Entegra, and 2014 Winnebago Tour. Since we are going to have two home offices, we have been focusing on the 42 to 45 foot coaches and are leaning toward the 45. Since most of our research has been with dealerships, we are looking to owners for the honest good, bad and ugly about their coaches. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #2

Can't wait to read all the good answers to your question. We are looking too! Leaning toward Entegra, but still open.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tltaylor View Post
We have narrowed our search to the 2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus, 2013 Entegra, and 2014 Winnebago Tour. Since we are going to have two home offices, we have been focusing on the 42 to 45 foot coaches and are leaning toward the 45. Since most of our research has been with dealerships, we are looking to owners for the honest good, bad and ugly about their coaches. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.
So far we have been very happy with our Entegra Anthem. Entegra customer service is tops. We owned a Tiffin Phaeton prior to this coach and really had very few issues with our Tiffin.

If you are working with dealers, I would give the folks at NIRVC (GA and TX locations). Quite a few people with Entegra coaches have recently upgraded to 2017 Entegras and I believe NIRVC has a good crop of excellent slightly used Entegras for sale...
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If yu can take the time visit the Winnebago plant in Forest City, Ia. You will be impressed by their construction techniques. The tour is free and one of the best dealers is just a half mile from the factory.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You will have issues with any coach you buy. That is the RV way!! Having said that I don't think you can go wrong with any of the coach brands you mentioned. All quality coaches with good support. Pick the one that fits your life style best. Happy camping.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:19 PM   #6

I suspect you will get a number of biased answers to your questions, so here's another one. We have been Tiffin owners for 13 years, partly because of a great dealer 40 miles from our home and Tiffins customer service that was more than willing to make changes we wanted. Very few issues to deal with. That being said, I think that the construction used by Entegra and Newmar provides a better insulated and quieter coach. Easier to heat or cool and quieter on the road. We preferred the Tiffin floor plan to what they offered in 2013, or we might have bought an Anthem or Dutch Star. Our son had a bad experience with a 42' Ellipse. Poor Quality control and a service department that would not help. I've talked to others that had similar experiences with them. Neither of us would consider Winnebago. My son bought a Mountain Aire.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought a new Tour from Lichtsinn in Forest City. Have had a few issues and taken it back to the dealer for work. After a couple visits will not take it anywhere else for work.

We like the service there and with the factory so close parts are not an issue. I would rate the service as "family".

Our Tour has had a few issues but reading the forum it would appear to be no better or worse than the other brands you have mentioned.

IMO the most critical thing is for you to like (really like) the floor plan you will be spending time in. IMO the most trades are made because the floor plan was not appropriate.

I suggest you spend some time in each coach without the salesman around and pretend you are living in it. Don't forget the inclement weather where you may be confined for a few days. What would you do and how will the layout work if you both want to watch a different program, how does the cooking facility work, are the chairs comfortable?
Old 04-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #8

I've owned all three and in my opinion Tiffin and Winnebago don't hold a candle to Entegra. ENTEGRA is built much better, much quieter, and insulated MUCH better.
They will all have problems, but for the dollars you can't beat the Entegra. Noel
Old 04-10-2016, 02:36 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
For those of you who don't know Loisjop, they have just ordered their fourth Entegra coach in the past five years. That's right. They upgraded each year, and each time they chose another Entegra. That tells you something about brand satisfaction.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
For those of you who don't know Loisjop, they have just ordered their fourth Entegra coach in the past five years. That's right. They upgraded each year, and each time they chose another Entegra. That tells you something about brand satisfaction.
It sounds to me like they need to try some other brand so they can stop buying new coaches.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
They have had Winnebago and Tiffen before and they switched brands. Since they bought their first Entegra, they have not switched.

They obviously like the smell of a new coach!

Sorry Lois and Noel, I did not intend to make you the topic of discussion. Just trying to make a point about Entegra.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #12

We're in our third coach. Usually keep 'em about a decade before replacing them. Usually then only to keep pace with improved technology. All have been gas. Our current coach, a 37' manufactured by one of the aforementioned, doesn't handle as well in the wind. Fantastic floor plan though. We started looking at DP's simply because owners told me DP tag axles really helped in windy conditions. Our first trip to the Gulf Shores area, we noticed that ever third high end coach was a Tiffin. Back in So Cal, we started looking at them. Then came across Newmar. Then Entegra. We personally prefer the Newmar. We are currently looking at purchasing a new car. The 3 we are looking at are all highly regarded by all those that evaluate such things. With cars, lots of evaluatory material is out there. Not with RV's, at least not to my knowledge. For the car purchase, I'll be looking at not only the price, but the service department. But also, which one is just flat pushes my buttons the most. Same thing with RV's. For us, the Dutch Star is what we are likely to upgrade to when the time comes.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had two Dutch Stars and probably should have bought a third rather than the Magna we have now. The '02 DSDP was the best rig we've ever owned, even after 13 years it was still basically trouble free, much more so than the Magna has proven to be.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:47 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We've had two Dutch Stars and probably should have bought a third rather than the Magna we have now. The '02 DSDP was the best rig we've ever owned, even after 13 years it was still basically trouble free, much more so than the Magna has proven to be.
Hello Mr D
I am thinking it is time to start to talk a little better about your Magna,,,,,,,,,,before "Karma" starts to set in..........
Your Country Coach is a wonderful, well built, easily recognized Motorcoach in the RV world, nothing like them...........I would like to own one, and have watched/looked at them for some time, and will continue, as in the years to come.......there will be a upgrade for me. Your trouble was with Cummins, not CC
Have you had any big problems with the Coach it self?
I remember back some years ago, A fella bought a brand spanking new Zephyr, and it had engine problems(same problem you had, if I remember right), he got it fixed, started to travel, and have not heard to much from Rudy since.........

Tags
tiffin, winnebago