Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2016, 06:06 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Check with Beaver Coach Sales and Service in Bend. They have a great reputation and have heard they can even be authorized to do warranty work for Tiffin.

Ready2Travel is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2016, 06:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphaynes View Post
Thanks much for the info! I emailed Tiffin service at 9am with a detailed description of the problems with the coach, still haven't heard anything yet. I think I will go the independent shop route as I really, really dislike paying vendors who make it clear they're not interested in my business in the first place.

Even if I have to pay out of pocket, my #1 priority is getting the problems fixed so that I know it isn't going to melt down a wiring harness or catch fire or self-destruct while I'm driving down a rainy highway.

Pick up your phone and CALL Tiffin, and forget stupid email if you really have these urgent problems.

And park your ego if you want to get anywhere. The "That's not the kind of crap I should have to worry about with a quarter million dollar coach", as well as the general tone of your emails, raises flags to me that you may be gettng exactly the service you are asking for (which RV dealers / manufacturers see way too much of, and respond accordingly).

Sorry if you are just irritated, I get that, but a "I'm special attitude " is not going to get anyone to want to help you. In fact, it just is going to put you at the back of the line of all the other customers who think they are special too.

Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:36 AM   #17

Quote:
That plus the food in AL is pretty... uh...el-barfo grande
..... at least the brand of football being played is better than where you are from. (No matter where that is)
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:53 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Call Bob Tiffin

Most people who have issues goes straight to the top to Bob Tiffin. If you have a new Tiffin and have not joined www.tiffinrvnetwork.com then I highly encourage you to do so. You will have to join to view the forum but again, I highly encourage this.

We have owned our Bus for 8 years now and this forum has been invaluable to us!

This is a link to their phone number list. If Bob is unable to answer you when you call, he will call you back. Just saying!
RV Tech Library - Tiffin Phone Numbers

Good luck.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
I understand your coach is on a Freightliner Chassis, if so there is a possibility that your wiper problem is not a Tiffin problem but a Freightliner problem. While Tiffin installed the wiper motor, mechanism, and blades Freightliner provided the switch, wiring, and controller. If you have a new Multiplexing RV that the wipers will not park, there is a SEAR 2016-048 to update the parameters in the Bulk Head Module (BHM). You might want to ask your local Freightliner shop to contact FCCC to see if SEAR 2016-048 applies to your issue.

Mike
Thanks much!

I finally had time to slide out the generator and have a look up at the wiper mechanism. Guess what's up there?

There's a piece of heavy translucent plastic that looks like it was some sort of packing/protective material that should have been removed (either that or it's something that's supposed to be there that's falling apart)

That's bad/annoying, but I suspect the cause of the intermittent wiper issue is the good sized wad of bright green masking tape and masking plastic that the folks who painted it left behind. It's very tightly jammed/wadded up in the passenger side linkage.

Someone deserves to have their cookies and milk taken away for a few days for that.

I still don't know if/how that could cause the massive hammering sound on the dash/windshield. I suspect either it bent or broke something that causes it to knock, though I don't understand how outside wind speed could have anything to do with that. If I run them at 65mph with a light crosswind, they're fine. If I run them with the typical 30-40mph cross winds of SD, WY and MT, it goes "WHACK....WHACK....whack...WHACK..."

It was evening when I discovered that, I'll see if I can get under there in daylight today and cut the masking tape and plastic away and see if that does anything. If there's some sort of contact switch for parking/sensing in there I can't imagine it's a happy one because the wad of material is screwed up pretty tightly.

Thanks for the info, I'll bring that up with them. Hopefully it's just the plastic bits jammed into the mechanisms.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:20 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The low battery warning you got is normal, especially in cold weather. It is a heater turning on I engine. Using the high idle setting will reduce the time you see this warning.

I hope other new owners learn from your problems to spend more time at the selling dealer checking out everything before driving away. Don't trust the dealer PDI and don't sign until everything checked out.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Pick up your phone and CALL Tiffin, and forget stupid email if you really have these urgent problems.

And park your ego if you want to get anywhere. The "That's not the kind of crap I should have to worry about with a quarter million dollar coach", as well as the general tone of your emails, raises flags to me that you may be gettng exactly the service you are asking for (which RV dealers / manufacturers see way too much of, and respond accordingly).

Sorry if you are just irritated, I get that, but a "I'm special attitude " is not going to get anyone to want to help you. In fact, it just is going to put you at the back of the line of all the other customers who think they are special too.
Thanks for the advice. Filed appropriately. Keep the great tips and tricks coming.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:22 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Using an independent RV service place that is authorized by Tiffin to do warranty work is an excellent suggestion. I have over 20K miles on my Phaeton and have never been back to the dealer or Red Bay.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:26 AM   #23

Anyone spot anything wrong with this picture?

That one is definitely wrong, but this one I can't tell if it's something that should be on that's falling off, or something that should be off that got left on:

Old 10-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Masking tape and plastic left over from the paint shop. Pull it off. Too bad your dealer didn't do a better PDI and it's really too bad that you didn't spend some time and do some shakedown trips before you headed off cross country.

Anymore rants you want to get out of your system? You need to take a deep breath and start listing the issues you are having and approach the problems logically and without spewing your frustration all over the web. Call Don Boyd and discuss what needs to be fixed and where to go to get it resolved. He is truly a resource you want to cultivate. That fact that Tiffin allows you to use independent contractors to get warranty repairs is a real plus for you.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Masking tape and plastic left over from the paint shop. Pull it off. Too bad your dealer didn't do a better PDI and it's really too bad that you didn't spend some time and do some shakedown trips before you headed off cross country.

Anymore rants you want to get out of your system? You need to take a deep breath and start listing the issues you are having and approach the problems logically and without spewing your frustration all over the web. Call Don Boyd and discuss what needs to be fixed and where to go to get it resolved. He is truly a resource you want to cultivate. That fact that Tiffin allows you to use independent contractors to get warranty repairs is a real plus for you.
You may have missed the part where I expressed dismay at the dealer for refusing to schedule a return visit after my 10 day shakedown trip during which I stayed at parks within 150 miles of the dealer.

Exactly how many people do I have to contact before someone at Tiffin or a dealership gets off their ass and addresses the problem?

I'm serious. Put a number on it. How many people do I have to write/say "My dash lights flicker" or "My windshield wipers sound like they're going to break the windshield" to?

When I have a problem with my 10 year old Honda CRV, I pick up the phone and call the dealer and they always say something like "Well we can fit you in tomorrow if you can have it here first thing in the morning" or "We can't do tomorrow but we can get you in the day after tomorrow" When I was 500 miles away and my Honda had a problem on a Friday afternoon, I called the nearest dealer and they said "Bring it right in" and within an hour and a half they diagnosed the problem, fixed it, and had me on my way.

I didn't need to call 3 or 4 Honda dealers and beg them to look at my car for me. I didn't need to call the Honda factory and say "Hey, your dealers aren't interested in taking care of problems, who can I take it to that will fix it?"

The whole point of buying a Tiffin rather than a Thor or any other brand, is the that the service and support is supposed to be top notch. So far all I've seen with the Tiffin brand/logo on it has been inferior to what I get on my Honda.

The fact that I still haven't even received a response to my email to Tiffin speaks volumes. They provide the email address on their website, I provided them with a phone number for contacting me. I got an automated confirmation email that it landed in someone's inbox.

Decent CRM is not that difficult in the 21st century. One contact should have resolved the problem.

BTW, if I cut away the plastic and there's damage to the mechanism, are you going to offer to pay the tab if Tiffin says that I damaged any switches or mechanisms while removing the plastic? Do you know for a fact that the cracked plastic shroud looking thing on the wiper motor should not be there and that I should cut it off?

We could try a fun experiment. We could tangle up some plastic in your coach or tow vehicle wipers, wait until it causes extremely loud hammering noises and until the wipers stop working normally, then cut it off without having a qualified mechanic examine it, and then send you out on a 1,000 mile trip that will invariably involve rain and snow. We'll see how well you fare with roadside service and or a rear end collision when you have to pull over to the side of a two lane because the wipers stopped working and you can't see out.

Out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to pay to be the subject of that experiment?

Shoe seems a tad uncomfortable on that other foot?
Old 10-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #26

Affordable RV in Newcastle Ca, authorized Tiffin warranty and great reputation. I too had to pull masking tape and paper from our 2016 after we bought it. Havent been back to dlr but have been to Freightliner twice for issues. Also dryer quit while in Yukon, but called mfg and they walked me through trouble shooting it and found the part at Philmar RV in Whitehorse. Excellent customer service at Philmar by the way.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
You may have missed the part where I expressed dismay at the dealer for refusing to schedule a return visit after my 10 day shakedown trip during which I stayed at parks within 150 miles of the dealer.

Exactly how many people do I have to contact before someone at Tiffin or a dealership gets off their ass and addresses the problem?

I'm serious. Put a number on it. How many people do I have to write/say "My dash lights flicker" or "My windshield wipers sound like they're going to break the windshield" to?

When I have a problem with my 10 year old Honda CRV, I pick up the phone and call the dealer and they always say something like "Well we can fit you in tomorrow if you can have it here first thing in the morning" or "We can't do tomorrow but we can get you in the day after tomorrow" When I was 500 miles away and my Honda had a problem on a Friday afternoon, I called the nearest dealer and they said "Bring it right in" and within an hour and a half they diagnosed the problem, fixed it, and had me on my way.

I didn't need to call 3 or 4 Honda dealers and beg them to look at my car for me. I didn't need to call the Honda factory and say "Hey, your dealers aren't interested in taking care of problems, who can I take it to that will fix it?"

The whole point of buying a Tiffin rather than a Thor or any other brand, is the that the service and support is supposed to be top notch. So far all I've seen with the Tiffin brand/logo on it has been inferior to what I get on my Honda.

The fact that I still haven't even received a response to my email to Tiffin speaks volumes. They provide the email address on their website, I provided them with a phone number for contacting me. I got an automated confirmation email that it landed in someone's inbox.

Decent CRM is not that difficult in the 21st century. One contact should have resolved the problem.

BTW, if I cut away the plastic and there's damage to the mechanism, are you going to offer to pay the tab if Tiffin says that I damaged any switches or mechanisms while removing the plastic? Do you know for a fact that the cracked plastic shroud looking thing on the wiper motor should not be there and that I should cut it off?

We could try a fun experiment. We could tangle up some plastic in your coach or tow vehicle wipers, wait until it causes extremely loud hammering noises and until the wipers stop working normally, then cut it off without having a qualified mechanic examine it, and then send you out on a 1,000 mile trip that will invariably involve rain and snow. We'll see how well you fare with roadside service and or a rear end collision when you have to pull over to the side of a two lane because the wipers stopped working and you can't see out.

Out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to pay to be the subject of that experiment?

Shoe seems a tad uncomfortable on that other foot?
Hey man, I'm on your side. As an avid reader of this site and a few others, the situation you're describing seems the norm.

I read an industry article , a series actually, that hinted (suggested? Accused?) the industry of basically not paying dealers enough, and/or soon, for warranty work. It beat around the bush that dealers weren't profiting at all, and even losing money on warranty work. He suggested this as an explanation why dealers so readily punt the football down the road so quickly and easily.

Coupled with sloppy delivery, could this model be sustained?

I've been waiting to hear some brand turn this around, provide a dealer with adequate tools, money, time and requirements to make ready even before a customer lays down one hot dime. Alas, haven't seen it yet. Even if they built $5000 dollars into the price of the unit, and handed it to the dealer specifically for an amazing make ready, the customer wouldn't mind this at all I'm sure. Might not even notice.

Stories of units spending 7 months of their first year back and forth to shops... I dunno man, I think this is kinda on the unacceptable side... and to send you away with basically non functioning windshield wipers, and gauge lights that go out at night is borderline negligence.

Of course if you read your sales contract, I bet there's a paragraph in there where you've agreed to not sue anyone, even if the unit killed you because of their mistake....

Sorry for your woes, hope it upturns for you soon.

Could you imagine the red carpet you'd get if you bought a 280,000 dollar car?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Hey man, I'm on your side. As an avid reader of this site and a few others, the situation you're describing seems the norm.

I read an industry article , a series actually, that hinted (suggested? Accused?) the industry of basically not paying dealers enough, and/or soon, for warranty work. It beat around the bush that dealers weren't profiting at all, and even losing money on warranty work. He suggested this as an explanation why dealers so readily punt the football down the road so quickly and easily.

Coupled with sloppy delivery, could this model be sustained?

I've been waiting to hear some brand turn this around, provide a dealer with adequate tools, money, time and requirements to make ready even before a customer lays down one hot dime. Alas, haven't seen it yet. Even if they built $5000 dollars into the price of the unit, and handed it to the dealer specifically for an amazing make ready, the customer wouldn't mind this at all I'm sure. Might not even notice.

Stories of units spending 7 months of their first year back and forth to shops... I dunno man, I think this is kinda on the unacceptable side... and to send you away with basically non functioning windshield wipers, and gauge lights that go out at night is borderline negligence.

Of course if you read your sales contract, I bet there's a paragraph in there where you've agreed to not sue anyone, even if the unit killed you because of their mistake....

Sorry for your woes, hope it upturns for you soon.

Could you imagine the red carpet you'd get if you bought a 280,000 dollar car?
I can sorta understand lights that flicker, electrical problems can happen, and I fully expected to have a list of things that needed to be attended to after my shakedown run, which I had planned in advance. The microwave trying to shake itself loose from its mounts is a hopefully rare (if not freak) problem in a third party's appliance. Light switch failing seems like something was overengineered. Even the wiper problem, it only showed up in a strong crosswind. It's complicated equipment, and the day that I'm perfect at my job is the day I demand that others be perfect at theirs.

What I didn't expect is "Oh we're too busy winterizing other customers RVs to slot you in for a follow-up 10 to 14 days from now" and "We're not doing warranty work for anyone who didn't buy from us" without even a "gee we're sorry you're having potential safety issues with your brand new coach, have you tried calling this other outfit..." :\

They shouldn't dead end the customer's interaction, they should present at least one possible alternative solution to the customer's problem. It's really not that hard to do.

Tags
tiffin