Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-06-2016, 11:28 PM   #43
Originally Posted by BobMontgomer View Post
What brand a model do you consider better than Tiffin. This is a serious question. Thank you.
First choice would be Entegra but I only need a 40' and they only have one model, the 40P, to offer.

Second choice would be Newmar and they have four 40' models in the Dutch Star line.

Bob, Sherron & Kinsey (Goldendoodle)
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 10:41 AM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
As both MR USA and I suggested, you need to talk to Tiffin Customer Service and let them help you find a facility. I think they will. Another suggested you talk to Beaver Coach in Bend OR, another good suggestion, as Ty and his bunch of folks are great and known for their good service. Also not a bad place to visit. I also suggested you can pull off the offending wiper and press on. People are making good suggestions that have worked for us. If you don't want the next two (or ten) years of the RV experience to be miserable, suggest less irritation and complaining, and engage on some of the good suggestions provided.

As to RV quality control, no RV company has made it through the expansion since 2008 without some issues...even Entegra and Newmar. I have some background in quality processes and dealt with my frustrations by working with the company, as have others, and we have seen that company make dramatic changes and improvements over the last two years. Tiffin can change too (my experience four years ago is consistent with what you have found). But you have made your purchase, and there are a lot of happy Tiffin customers, suggesting that you can get there. But you have to cool your heels/jets, or you're headed for a lot of heartache. Or, trade now, absorb the loss, and get a coach you can live with. Life is too short to try this lifestyle (and it is a great lifestyle) when you are this unhappy. JMHO and good luck.

Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #45
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
I understand your coach is on a Freightliner Chassis, if so there is a possibility that your wiper problem is not a Tiffin problem but a Freightliner problem. While Tiffin installed the wiper motor, mechanism, and blades Freightliner provided the switch, wiring, and controller. If you have a new Multiplexing RV that the wipers will not park, there is a SEAR 2016-048 to update the parameters in the Bulk Head Module (BHM). You might want to ask your local Freightliner shop to contact FCCC to see if SEAR 2016-048 applies to your issue.

You got it half right in one!

The windshield wiper motor hadn't been tightened down, which was the source of the "WHACK!" sound. When the wind blew hard, the torque of the motor would lift it up 1/2" or so and then slam it back down on the mounting bracket.

Your advice on the wiper was spot on, the tech observed exactly the bizarre behavior that I did, sometimes wiping twice, sometimes not working at all, sometimes parking vertically. It was the firmware upgrade or reprogramming or whatever they did. Fortunately I had some high winds on the interstate today and I was able to test them out, everything worked fine.

They also fixed the pull up power pedestal, apparently a wire came loose.

They thought they'd fixed the microwave by plugging it in, but I had actually unplugged it because after a while it went from just making noise to loading down the circuit to where it would reset itself so something is shorting in it somewhere. If they had tried to boil water in it, it would have been obvious that it's broken.

Tiffin wouldn't expedite shipping on the microwave so I'm still without that until I get somewhere west of the Rockies. It's down in the mid 30's already and we're supposed to get 1-3" of snow, but then some clear weather again when I hope to make the run over Raynald's pass or down Gallatin Canyon and through Island Park. I'm hoping that southern route will have less high passes though it's been so many years since I've driven it I can't remember :\

I-State Truck Center in Billings gets two thumbs up, they were prompt and everyone I interacted with wasn't just professional, they were pretty savvy. I'd definitely do business with them again and recommend them.
dphaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:27 AM   #46
Sigh. Still not fixed.

Driving across MT/ID yesterday, wind direction and speed was reproducing the thump under the dash, though it didn't have the sharp impact sound that it did initially.

Also the intermittent feature doesn't work. The wipers run 2 to 4 wipes and then give a twitch and stop. One time they parked themselves vertically.

The electric outlets in the galley don't work properly on the inverter. Put any kind of load on that circuit (electric kettle or run the microwave) and after about 30 seconds the breaker trips.

If I'm on shore power or generator, it's fine.

At least I have lights in the closet so I don't have to do laundry by flashlight anymore.

Hopefully there's a service center in OR that can fix things before my Nov 1 appt.

Ah well.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #47
Tifin Warranty Work

Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Masking tape and plastic left over from the paint shop. Pull it off. Too bad your dealer didn't do a better PDI and it's really too bad that you didn't spend some time and do some shakedown trips before you headed off cross country.

Anymore rants you want to get out of your system? You need to take a deep breath and start listing the issues you are having and approach the problems logically and without spewing your frustration all over the web. Call Don Boyd and discuss what needs to be fixed and where to go to get it resolved. He is truly a resource you want to cultivate. That fact that Tiffin allows you to use independent contractors to get warranty repairs is a real plus for you.
OK "Dad"! Are you kidding! The OP has a legitimate gripe and I feel for him and have been through the Dealer malaise. Really stinks to pay so much and get so poorly treated.
Either way to have a motorhome requires some repair skills and you must
find "friends" in the service industry.
I really don't think the OP deserves blame for QC problems and he will eventually realize the problems of the industry, service ,and QC from the factory. And I am offended at this type of atitude at the OP.
Our Tiffin is going to be 3 years old and am still fixing poor work from the factory. Love getting parts and service info on "how to" from Tiffin. Hate the fact that I am still doing it.
Maybe Tiffin will have a Factory Service center near the OP in the near future. The next MH I purchase will be closer to our stick home and MUST take appointments, which RB doesn't. Hope this is not considered "spewing" on the internet.
HGC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #48
Tiffin Owners Club
HGC - please don't start.

Yes, the OP has multiple legitimate complaints. His method of resolving those problems seems to be somewhat haphazard to a lot of us. Many of us have offered suggestions of who to talk to at Tiffin to get these resolved and there seems to be no acknowledgment that any of the proffered suggestions have been followed.
Roger & Mary
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Honda Fit toad
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #49
Yeah, they stand behind their product

Several miles behind.

Easily the worst service and treatment on any vehicle I've ever owned, and I bought my first new car in 1978.

Talked to Tiffin service on the phone, they suggested I "just call around" until I can find a service center that does something other than just Powerglide service, and that I should try calling those places too because some of them have become full-service shops since they were listed on the Tiffin website.

I talked to Tiffin service on the second try BTW, the first time around I was on hold for 32 minutes before I had to hang up to take another call. When I first called I was #4 in the queue, when I hung up, I was #2 in the queue.

Called RV Corral (dealer), they can't get me in until 11/14 at the earliest.

Called Beaver Coach, they're booked until early December.

Looks like I'm probably screwed until I get somewhere that I'm not liable to be snowed in while waiting to get the warranty work done. The other shops in the area are only listed as Powerglide service centers, waiting for calls back from a few of them.

Some of the issues with the coach:

Not pictured
  • Central vac that quit working on second use
  • Rear slide on driver's side never really retracts smoothly and I've had to recalibrate the thing twice now after the rear rack stopped retracting
  • Dead/dying microwave. Since Tiffin insists they can't expedite shipping of it, and since they won't ship it to me so I can just get it replaced as soon as I find someone willing to do it, I'll have to wait somewhere for at least 5-7 days until the microwave arrives at a service center. Try scheduling your service appointment around an indeterminate wait like that sometime.
  • Generator started emitting a big cloud of un-burned diesel fuel about every 3rd or 4th cold start. That really makes the trucks and RVs next to me at highway rest areas happy when I soak down the side of their rig with a big cloud of diesel.
  • I saw the Aquahot do the big cloud of diesel once, haven't seen a repeat. That was in pretty warm weather (~60F)
  • Wipers still have the same problems, intermittent doesn't work properly and becomes random, and sometimes after I turn the ignition key off and remove it, the wipers spontaneously turn themselves on and run for 10-30 seconds afterwards
  • Window behind the driver's seat won't close all the way, when it's "shut" there's a 3/16" gap at the top while it's closed at the bottom. Nice and cozy when it's 40F and windy with a drenching rain going on.
  • Some unknown piece of window trim fell off the bedroom window in the first week, I still can't figure out where it goes or if there are any leaks to the inside.
  • Windshield wipers shriek loudly when they move to the vertical position, probably due to the vent holes in the arms. Given that it's fall in Oregon and given that the intermittent feature doesn't work, the wipers are running most of the time. It gets really old after about the 2nd or 3rd hour of wwhhhhEEEE wwhhhhEEEE wwhhhhEEEE wwhhhhEEEE wwhhhhEEEE wwhhhhEEEE :\
  • Step cover has developed a very loud rattle that I can't locate
  • Outside trim that butts up to the fireplace mantel has developed a 1/8" gap for unknown reasons I can't tell if the wall the fireplace is in has shifted, or if the outside wall has twisted somehow.
But that's okay, all I have to do is "call around and ask" for someone to fix these things. Even the guy at Peterson CAT in Springfield is willing to call around to see if they can find someone competent to do the work for me, and they owe me nothing at all!

I expected there to be issues, I also expected Tiffin to address each issue with a phone call, two at the most. It really sucks to waste my time calling around begging for someone to look at it and to depend on the kindness of strangers to find a competent shop to get warranty work done. One call to either my dealer or to Tiffin should have been all it took to get a path to resolution on any one of the issues.

Full marks to Peterson Cat service dept! Unfortunately I've forgotten the gentleman's name, but he was very helpful.