Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #15

Our 94 HR Endeavor LE has tile on the bathroom floor that still looks great. No cracks in tile or in grout that I can see. We have manual-controlled jacks and over 110 thousand miles. I think it all has to do with the quality of the original installation. Good luck, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:04 AM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dunda:
Currently we are looking at three different coaches - 2008 Monaco Diplomat, 2009 Damon Tuscany and a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have ceramic tile but I know that the tiles are thinner than the ones used in homes. I have not read about any problems with tiles in MHs. Your choice of chassis and motor home manufacturer is a much bigger decision. I have a 2000 Damon Ultrasport that has been great. Look at the thread "Looking at Tuscany" for more about Damon. I am sold on Freightliner for their design and excellent customer service. Spartan has its strong supporters and it has some upscale features or at least more expensive features. Monaco makes their own chassis and some have eight airbags. You could get a great ride from it. I would be careful now with Monaco being questionable financially. You want both the chassis and MH manufacturer to be around in the future. I will say that Damon does a great job with the floor plan. You get a lot of utility and pleasing looks for the bucks. Here is one aspect for you to watch that is not apparent until well after the purchase. Some MHs are designed for ease of maintenance. This means ease of access to fuses, relays, electronic components such as the ECM, plumbing cutoff valves, etc. These things don't move the MHs off of the showroom floor but second time buyers do look for and pay for them. As a rule Damon is weak here and Newmar is strong. I don't know specifically about Tiffin and Monaco but I expect they are good in this area.

Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">don't have ceramic tile but I know that the tiles are thinner than the ones used in homes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not in my Winnebago ...they gave me several extra tiles to match in case I need to replace any (which I never have) and they look like standard ceramic tiles to me.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
We have extra tile also and they are standard thickness units.

Has anyone sealed the grout joints in their units?
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">sealed the grout joints </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not quite the same thing, but then again, maybe so... We have had our tile "cleaned and sealed" by Stanley Steamer once a year for the past two years. It really keeps the tile and grout looking nice.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #20

Would tile sealer purchased from Home Depot or Lowes be the equivalent, say once a year? This is what we use for the tile floors in our home.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:33 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
The tile and the grout are the same as that used in a stick house. It should be treated the same.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:05 AM   #22
doc

Appalachian Campers
Nope, not thinner on our Damon, standard - maybe 1/2 inch or better - thickness. We have a couple extra in the rear closet. Not sure that I had just as soon had vinyl. The ceramic is heavy.