Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #1

Time delay on a EMS-HW50C ??

The books reads the factory preset is 15 seconds. It also states you can change to 136 seconds if you want. What are some of you with this system setting your time delay at and why. Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
The books reads the factory preset is 15 seconds. It also states you can change to 136 seconds if you want. What are some of you with this system setting your time delay at and why. Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
I left mine on the factory setting, because my a/c units have a two minute built in delay when power is applied.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
I left mine on the factory setting, because my a/c units have a two minute built in delay when power is applied.
Thanks for your answer, I guess I just don't completely understand why the two different settings. Wonder when the 136 second display would be applicable
Old 11-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for your answer, I guess I just don't completely understand why the two different settings. Wonder when the 136 second display would be applicable
I'm pretty sure the longer delay is for your a/c compressor protection if it's not built into the a/c unit. I also assume most newer a/c units have the built in protection, but you know what they say about assuming. I also assume progressive thinks most a/c units have the built in 2 minute delay hence their reasoning for the lower factory setting.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
I'm pretty sure the longer delay is for your a/c compressor protection if it's not built into the a/c unit. I also assume most newer a/c units have the built in protection, but you know what they say about assuming. I also assume progressive thinks most a/c units have the built in 2 minute delay hence their reasoning for the lower factory setting.
Good explanation. So it more than likely is for the AC units. Sounds good to me I will leave at factory setting then. Thanks loisjop, and Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
Old 11-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not have that model the one I have delays aroudn 170 seconds. but I'd set it for the longer delay.. Here is why.

We have had several of what I call "Power flickers" here Power goes out for like one second.. Now if it's hot, and the A/C compressors are runninmg 15 seconds is not long enough for them to bleed down and do a "Cold Start" 3 minutes is. 136 seconds (2 minutes 16 seconds) might be enough epically if the A/C controller adds a few more.. But 15 is no where near long enough.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:04 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The 136 second setting would typically be used on and older coach with the old style thermostats that had no time delay. Newer coaches have digital thermostats with a built in time delay making 15 seconds the better setting for them. A/C units only need 2 minutes or so for the pressures to equalize.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
The 136 second setting would typically be used on and older coach with the old style thermostats that had no time delay. Newer coaches have digital thermostats with a built in time delay making 15 seconds the better setting for them. A/C units only need 2 minutes or so for the pressures to equalize.
Thanks, looks like the 15 second delay on a 2015 model would be the setting to go with. Though I always appreciate any and all suggestions.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks, looks like the 15 second delay on a 2015 model would be the setting to go with. Though I always appreciate any and all suggestions.
I would confirm that your AC units or thermostat do have a built in time delay. If you have the AirXcel RVComfort digital thermostat, then yes it does have a built in time delay. I contacted their customer support and confirmed this before I left the delay on my PI unit set at 15 seconds.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I left mine at the factory default . At this moment I don't remember why , but all
has been trouble free for several years .
Old 11-27-2015, 06:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I would confirm that your AC units or thermostat do have a built in time delay. If you have the AirXcel RVComfort digital thermostat, then yes it does have a built in time delay. I contacted their customer support and confirmed this before I left the delay on my PI unit set at 15 seconds.
Will call Thor CS when they open back after Thanksgiving holidays. Thanks!!