Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 11:41 AM   #29

I know shocks....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
Bilstein B6 - 46mm Shocks for Motorhomes
Motorhomes are a great form of travel and recreation. But are they a joy to drive? Wallowing, top heavy, boat like, all phrases that have been used to describe the ride and handling of an RV. But not with Bilstein. Instead words like precise, confident, controlled and safe are what is said about a Bilstein equipped coach. With Bilstein, you won't find a generic "heavy duty" shock with ultra stiff valving and terrible ride characteristics, but rather a shock designed for your specific motorhome application providing you with a safe and compliant ride.
Bilstein RV Shocks come with Bilstein's Comfitrac® Working Piston. The Comfitrac® piston instantly reacts to sudden, high frequency road harshness, like dropping a wheel into a pothole, to deliver superior comfort and stability.
Features and Benefits:

• Greatly increases overall vehicle stability
  • Eliminates excessive sway and bouncing
  • Improves control and handling characteristics
  • Maintains safe, smooth and comfortable ride
  • Monotube steering dampers also available for some models

My MH drives and rides better than our car! I can ride for 2 hours in the car and my butt will be aching, signaling a rest stop is needed. I ran ride all day in the MH and not feel like that! I wouldn't say that all that is due to the Bilstein shocks, but they definitely do their part!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"LVRVLUVR"......You're absolutely correct, the coach doesn't know what fuel is being burned, but if you did you're homework, you would find out that Monaco uses a proprietary chassis, not the Freightliner that your coach uses. Many of the Monaco owners, (didn't see a Monaco in your past ownership) tried many shocks. The 8 airbag, 8 shock system rides the best with the Koni shocks.

I've been trying to follow your posts about issues with your new coach. One day it's the worst handling underpowered coach ever and the next day it's the best available coach. Many of us even offered some ideas as to solving your issues, but you seem to have all the answers and now you're a DP shock expert.....you're good!
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"LVRVLUVR"......You're absolutely correct, the coach doesn't know what fuel is being burned, but if you did you're homework, you would find out that Monaco uses a proprietary chassis. Many of the Monaco owners, (didn't see a Monaco in your past ownership) tried many shocks. The 8 airbag, 8 shock system rides the best with the Koni shocks.
I'm just say'nn I quit school in the 9th grade to not have to do homework

I would just leave gas coach out of the deal...
have you personaly tried bilstiens>>>

my homework would be to try the different shocks.....then drink the rum instead of the kool aid...
I read all over here posts from people who don't have a clue what shocks packing .rebound, piston, shim stack ... do or is yet they every chance tell others how good brand X is

sometimes the gas vs diesel gets old...say'n bielstiens won't work on a diesel powered coach????
Old 04-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #33

Quote:
"LVRVLUVR"......You're absolutely correct, the coach doesn't know what fuel is being burned, but if you did you're homework, you would find out that Monaco uses a proprietary chassis, not the Freightliner that your coach uses. Many of the Monaco owners, (didn't see a Monaco in your past ownership) tried many shocks. The 8 airbag, 8 shock system rides the best with the Koni shocks.

I've been trying to follow your posts about issues with your new coach. One day it's the worst handling underpowered coach ever and the next day it's the best available coach. Many of us even offered some ideas as to solving your issues, but you seem to have all the answers and now you're a DP shock expert.....you're good!
being paid to valve shocks make me a professional
oh... and it's still under powered... but I did my "HOMEWORK" and finished where freightliner/Fleetwood left off...

I have the best there is out there in under 34'r

it even rides way better and handles way better then a Monaco

puff puff give
Old 04-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
the bilstiens you removed were ford valved ... the bilsiens you buy are bilstien valved big difference...
Not quite, I replaced the original factory shocks with Bilsteins. Improved the ride and handling but didn't like the harshness when hitting cracks and bridge joints. At the time I bought the replacement Bilsteins they were not advertising the Comfitrac valving. I stll have the Bilsteins on the rear. Don't have anything against Bilstein still use them on my other vehicles. We're really happy with the ride with the Koni's up front.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #35

I still have a issue with my excursion...that doesn't seem right..

with the trailer on the back.. the rear goes down 1''

the fact that that could be allowing the front ride with less weight I have proven by weighing the coach...

the thing rides and tracks real good.. not effected by wind or passing trucks... really don't wanna mess with it ..

but read that it could be causing damage to my drive line....
Old 04-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Not quite, I replaced the original factory shocks with Bilsteins. Improved the ride and handling but didn't like the harshness when hitting cracks and bridge joints. At the time I bought the replacement Bilsteins they were not advertising the Comfitrac valving. I stll have the Bilsteins on the rear. Don't have anything against Bilstein still use them on my other vehicles. We're really happy with the ride with the Koni's up front.
well the good thing is they don't sell those anymore... and the new and improved is what you get... long as you're happy... so far everyone has been happy ..till they ride in mine
Old 04-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #37

the real problem with motorhomes is height vs wheel base width..

and good part about bilstiens is the rebound and the gas charged
Old 04-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
well the good thing is they don't sell those anymore... and the new and improved is what you get... long as you're happy... so far everyone has been happy ..till they ride in mine
Another thing that effects the ride in the front is being light. Front axle is rated at 7,000# only have 5760# total 2,700 on left 3,060 on right. Can't move anything up front to increase weight. Run front tires at manufacturers minimum 80 PSI.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Removed Bilsteins with less then 5,000 miles on them. Replaced with Koni, whole different moho much nicer ride no more jarring from each crack in the road.
I had a 99 pace arrow...the problem with the early f53's is the front spring deflection....
If I still had it I would go to the newer front leafs or have some custom made... the are way to stiff on the progression

another thing I did on my 99 was to remove one of the pads on the axel perch

seems it was always too high in front , even more so with the trailer hooked up
Old 04-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #40
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just about anyone who has owned dirt bikes, RZR's, Quad's, etc.... can rebuild, pack or re-valve a shock. That doesn't make you an RV shock expert. And yes....I've had Bilsteins, Monroes, Koni's and several other brands.....but that doesn't make me an expert either. My experience comes from owning a Roadmaster RR8R chassis and working on several others to get them to ride correctly, including ride height adjustment. You can read a Motor home magazine article and regurgitate all of their findings, but their test wasn't coach specific.

My suggestion, to anyone looking to buy shocks for the Roadmaster chassis is to go to the Monaco forum and do some reading.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #41

what it really comes down to is yes it is worth changing oem shocks.. as they always seem to be lesser than after market..what shocks you buy will be up to the individual... everyone is entitled to add an opinion...
Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #42

Quote:
Just about anyone who has owned dirt bikes, RZR's, Quad's, etc.... can rebuild, pack or re-valve a shock. That doesn't make you an RV shock expert. And yes....I've had Bilsteins, Monroes, Koni's and several other brands.....but that doesn't make me an expert either. My experience comes from owning a Roadmaster RR8R chassis and working on several others to get them to ride correctly, including ride height adjustment. You can read a Motor home magazine article and regurgitate all of their findings, but their test wasn't coach specific.

My suggestion, to anyone looking to buy shocks for the Roadmaster chassis is to go to the Monaco forum and do some reading.
I know very little about roadmaster...other than I almost bought one sight unseen.... I road in the 8 bag very nice.....the short version 32' was a 4 bag... thing was horrible...I thought they all were 8 bag.. shows how little I know about them..

as you can tell, I'm slowly warm'n up to the diesel deal...and was very used to my fords...

but ,... hey I'm learn'n... don't claim to know it all.. but what I do know i'll share with others...

and as it sits if anyone was to ask me about the road master chassis I would reply that from what I heard and my experience is there is a big difference in the 4 bag vs the 8 bag... other than that I know nothing....

peace

Tags
shocks