Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 07:56 PM   #1
UAV

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Time for New Shocks?

Hey All...

My coach has the original shocks from when she was built in 2002. It is a new to me HR Navigator with tag axle.

While I am not really having any issues with the shocks right now, they do not seem nearly as smooth as I think they should be.

Since the original shocks are pushing 14 years old, would replacing them make that much of a difference? In other words, would it make a huge difference or not that much?

Or is this an upgrade that I will really be glad I did?

Any/all input is appreciated as always.

UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 08:12 PM   #2

I replace the stock shocks on my 2007 class c with 30,000 miles on the odometer to Bilstein Shocks and I noticed a big improvement over the stock shocks. Not sure how many miles your MH has or if it is equipped with Airbags, that might make a difference. I haven't decided if my class A with airbags and 35,000 miles needs a shock change or not.

Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:44 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Removed Bilsteins with less then 5,000 miles on them. Replaced with Koni, whole different moho much nicer ride no more jarring from each crack in the road.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:50 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm thinking Koni here in the next few weeks. Nothing but good feedback from current users.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:31 AM   #6

Just changed factory Bilsteins out for Koni shocks at 38,000 miles. I could not believe the difference in the ride. In fact DW said this sure rides a lot better. Well worth the $$.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
In past my reading it seems that the Monaco products had Monroe shocks on them and they only lasted about 30-40,000 miles. I bought a used HR that had 69,000 on it and elected to replace the shocks as the ride was very poor. I put Koni's all around and it was like night and day. Some people like the Bilstiens, a few like Kings. Your dollar and your choice but replacement is highly recommended to keep your teeth in place.
Good luck, good health and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #8

Here is a link to an article from MH magazine comparing shocks. I just bought a set of Bilstiens for my MH, I'll have them installed next week. Ford uses a dual tube Bilstien shock as OEM on their F53 frames. The Bilstien B6 aftermarket shock is mono-tube, different technology, different performance.

Shock Therapy: RV Shock Absorber Test
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #9

Just curious if shocks for motorhomes age out like tires or do the wear out as the odometer clicks away? In other words can a shock that is 20 years old still function as designed with only 7,000 miles of actual use?
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:07 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
David, when we bought the 2002 Windsor in 2012, I immediately noticed two problems. When going over dips in the road the "porpoising" was BAD! Also, it was very rough hitting the lines on concrete highways.

I replaced all the shocks with the Bilsteins. That stopped the "porpoising" and reduced the impact of hitting the lines in the road! I considered the Konis but after a lot of research decided they weren't worth the huge difference in cost!

Unless your shocks have been changed by a previous owner, I think you will notice a huge difference to replace them. JMHO!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I installed the Koni FSD shocks on my new Knight at 12,000mi, should have done it sooner...
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #12
UAV

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Excellent information. Thanks to all! I think I will be replacing them as I continue to make the coach "mine" if you know what I mean.

It is time...they are old, have 90,000 miles on them and even though my mechanic may not agree.

Thanks again and will let you know my honest opinion as to whether or not I notice a difference.
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Removed Bilsteins with less then 5,000 miles on them. Replaced with Koni, whole different moho much nicer ride no more jarring from each crack in the road.
the bilstiens you removed were ford valved ... the bilsiens you buy are bilstien valved big difference...
Old 04-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
David, when we bought the 2002 Windsor in 2012, I immediately noticed two problems. When going over dips in the road the "porpoising" was BAD! Also, it was very rough hitting the lines on concrete highways.

I replaced all the shocks with the Bilsteins. That stopped the "porpoising" and reduced the impact of hitting the lines in the road! I considered the Konis but after a lot of research decided they weren't worth the huge difference in cost!

Unless your shocks have been changed by a previous owner, I think you will notice a huge difference to replace them. JMHO!
the bilstiens you bought are the better shock... I bought the konis and took them off and went with bilstien...

Tags
shocks