Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #15

Hmmm, a 1995 National Dolphin.

Retail price should be just under $6,000. Even with all of the recent work done to it. In the 22 years that this rig has been on the road, I would assume it has average mileage of just around 80K. Any more would not be too bad, but far less is an indication that it has set up for years at a time and the house systems could be at the end of their service life, so budget accordingly. Another issue with the 1995 model year - it was just before OBD-II came out, so diagnosing some problems can be harder. Also, it is most likely a Ford or Chevy chassis, so it probably has a 460 or 454 V-8, throttle body injected (Chevy), port injected (Ford). Have the owner start the engine (cold) with the doghouse cover off. Before he starts it, place your hand on the engine - it should be ambient temperature. Listen for the telltale ticking sound of a cracked/warped exhaust manifold. If it is a Ford chassis, the fuel pressure readings noted are a bit low and a fuel pump replacement could be due (about $550 at a reputable mechanic), if it is a Chevy with the TB injection, that is about right.

So, if you are able to pick it up for about $5,500 and it has "good enough bones" to justify sinking about about another three grand into it, you may have made a good choice. Of course, that also depends on your planned usage too - which you didn't mention. For short week-long trips of up to about 1K miles round trip (or less), I'd be comfortable with a rig that old. Anything more than that, such as longer trips and more frequent trips than every couple of months, I'd have to pass on the deal - and I'm a very mechanically oriented guy with lots of tools and diagnostic equipment in my garage!

So, two things we need to know:
1 - planned use and range
2 - your budget and asking price of this unit
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #16

BiG Thank You's !!! to all these amazing replies

I didn't expect to get this much helpful feedback! Wowzers! So much generosity.

Of course I'm feeling a little bummed... b/c I've put a ton of effort into getting to this point.

I don't know if anyone else will re-read or reply to this thread...but I should've included the price and odometer and something else.
The guy was asking $14,900. After some discussion he said he'd come down to $13,900. It's got 62K miles. (But new transmission) and new tires. Does that make any difference to some of the opinions / comments?

Also, I'd like to believe the seller is a good guy, honest and not trying to take advantage of me. He is a Reverend (white guy who lives in the Bay Area of CA) and works in the NYC ghetto supporting peaceful resolutions to Racism. He is a published author, and has been doing this work for decades. I have deep admiration and respect for those that do this type of altruistic work. I know that there are lots of unethical preachers out there...but ...if he is honest... (and I'm trying to believe in The Good of Life) and the inspection tells me everything looks pretty good... I'm wondering what other major things are likely to go wrong with this type of unit, since it's already had all these specific repairs?

I was first considering a 5th Wheel...but after much consideration, and looking at 5th Wheels for about 6 weeks, after riding in the Class A, I just felt the Class A matches my needs better. I sure felt more comfortable in the space!!! And I'm kind-of Creature of Comforts and High-Maintenance girl. I really strongly prefer being comfortable! There's enough that's challenging about this whole living-in-a-camper / motorhome-thing that's really UNcomfortable...at least for me...so perhaps the roominess that I felt in the Class A cast an enchanting (yet unrealistic) charm on me ... Maybe I should go back to considering the 5th Wheel. Oohh <sigh> ...the curse of being an indecisive one. Well, whatever I decide after checking out the one in CA...please know that I feel I have better informed perspective, now...and will hopefully make a more realistic decision about buying it or not, b/c of all your feedback. I may post another question after I have a look at it. Thanks again SOOO much to all that replied. Good Karma back to you!
Sunny-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:51 PM   #17

Regardless of his position or intentions, he evidently has been chasing his tail around a deep dark abyss called a money pit with this unit. To me, the roof problem is now even worse and more of a red flag. Had this unit been somewhere in the southwest (especially desert) I would think a little better of it, but the conditions in SFO and area aren't exactly conducive to eradicating a potential mold / mildew problem.

I really hope that if you continue on this journey with an open (and always skeptical) mind and are willing to still walk away from this if needed. However I am really afraid that at this point, you feel that you have invested too much to walk away from this coach.

Down deep, you have no clue how much it means to me (and others) that you chose to enter this forum and present us with this and to seek our advice, though some more learned than others. At the risk of offending some, I see several times a day where somebody made the leap into an RV with no clue as to anything about it or how the systems work, and then spend their first post screaming for help from the darkness that their RV dream has become. Please take our (nearly unanimous advice) that this probably isn't the coach for you (for several reasons) and at least pause and take some deep breaths before you sign on the dotted line. Once that is done and money changes hands, every problem with that coach becomes yours. If this seller is the person you make him out to be, he shouldn't have a problem with you taking the time (days) to consider your decision. Just remember, if a deal is too good to be true, it probably is.

Here is hoping for the best for you and your decision. (wishing for a prayer emoji)
Old 08-28-2017, 01:02 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
With a little more notice, one of us in Ca could have checked it out for you. I am 2 hrs from Frisco. The seller would not be able to fool me at all. If you want me to meet you for the show and tell send me a PM....Gary

PS: anyone closer than me?
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:45 AM   #19

The seller is asking 250% over retail. Ouch!

Can anyone out here look around to see what other class A's are available for $14k?
Old 08-29-2017, 09:54 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
With a little more notice, one of us in Ca could have checked it out for you. I am 2 hrs from Frisco. The seller would not be able to fool me at all. If you want me to meet you for the show and tell send me a PM....Gary

PS: anyone closer than me?
Great offer to assist. I hope she takes advantage of your generosity.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
i agree 100%
+1. This sounds like a money pit. And for someone with little mechanical know-how and less money, I would look elsewhere.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:20 AM   #22

Not only NO but H. E. double toothpicks no! I bought a 1999 Fleetwood locally with the express intention of a project to keep me busy. I enjoyed all the stuff I did to it over a three year period, $$$. My desire to make it reliable. I have run out of stuff to do to it so now we travel with it, but each creak and weird noise tickles the panic nerve.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice