Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi All, I've been thinking about my tires as well. Mine have a date code of 5203, have only 3600 miles on them and very little sidewall cracking. I have only owned the coach for 6 months so I don't know what previous owners storage situation was, but I store on the shady side of my house. It is hard justify replacing them! I understand the safety aspect of course, but it will be hard to swallow!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Parajays, I have never met a qualified tire technician at a tire store. All the do is look at the outside of the tire and tell you it is OK. This guy may have worked at a 7-11 Mini-mart store a month ago. There is too much risk in trusting somebody that you don't know anything about. You change the tire at 7 years unless it rots sooner.
Yeh, that is my point.

Jim E

Old 05-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
I moved up to motorhomes from trailers in 1974. In the 70's 80's and 90's I had several tire failures. In the late 90's both Goodyear and michelin reworked their tires. they changed compounds and improved the ozone resistance. As a ser. mgr. I saw a big improvement in tire life. I have talked directly to tire engineers from both companies.They now say ten years is the expected life of their tires. Of course the tire retailers are still pushing 5 to 7 years. (DUH) I ran the tires on my 98 pace for ten years with no problems.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I moved up to motorhomes from trailers in 1974. In the 70's 80's and 90's I had several tire failures. In the late 90's both Goodyear and michelin reworked their tires. they changed compounds and improved the ozone resistance. As a ser. mgr. I saw a big improvement in tire life. I have talked directly to tire engineers from both companies.They now say ten years is the expected life of their tires. Of course the tire retailers are still pushing 5 to 7 years. (DUH) I ran the tires on my 98 pace for ten years with no problems.
Can you tell us the tire manufacturer and model of tire, and what you did to maintain your tires. Thanks.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #19
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
For my information, what is a "qualified" tire technician and do you identify one?

Jim E
That's a very good question without a clear-cut answer, which is why so many people say to just replace tires at 6 or 7 years of age. Unfortunately, the "good guys" don't always wear signs around their necks or white hats, and it's probably easier to tell who isn't an expert rather than who is. If a guy looks at the outside of a tire and says it's OK without suggesting breaking the tire down to look at the inside, or without even checking the date code, then he's probably not an expert.

If you're serious about trying to stretch tires beyond 6 or 7 years, I would start by going to a company-owned tire dealer. These are most likely the dealers listed on the tire company's web site rather than just anybody listed under that brand of tire in the Yellow Pages. If in doubt, call the tire manufacturer's customer service number. IMO, you have a better chance of finding someone at a company-owned dealer who has had some company-sponsored training.

Once you find a factory dealer, I would look for the shop manager rather that the 18-year old kid swinging a tire iron out in the shop or the salesman behind the desk.

Finding a "qualified" expert sounds good, but I have to admit I just replaced 4 of our tires last winter at 6 years of age without bothering to have them inspected. The peace of mind was worth it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm also at the point of deciding whether to replace my tires or not. The have a mfg. date of 2005, so that makles them 6 years old. plus they have 50,000 miles on them. However, they still have good tread and no cracks or rivering.

This week, I took the RV to Lazy Days, in Tampa, for fogged window repairs. While it was there, I saw that they were "pushing" new tire sales. So I asked the service writer if LD had any tire "experts" that could look at my tires and help me make my decision. I was told that they did not have any tire experts, that they just went by dates and how the tires looked on the outside. I was given an estimate of about $600 per tire, which included mounting and balancing, plus labor. $3,600 plus taxes. Whew......I think I will keep looking.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Can you tell us the tire manufacturer and model of tire, and what you did to maintain your tires. Thanks.
First I cover the tires that face the sun. The right side of my MH is in the shade so I don't cover that side. Second I ALWAYS air up the tires before leaving on a trip. Third I always scrub my tires clean after a trip.(I have been told by all tire manuf. to keep the tires clean. I really don't know the importance of this but They are the experts.) I am a big believer in Goodyear. It seems they are trying to make a good MH tire. As a ser. mgr. I saw very few Goodyear tire failure. Almost all were caused by tire valve extension hoses. I use G670 series. My size is the245/70R19.5
Old 05-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
If you're serious about trying to stretch tires beyond 6 or 7 years, I would start by going to a company-owned tire dealer. These are most likely the dealers listed on the tire company's web site rather than just anybody listed under that brand of tire in the Yellow Pages. If in doubt, call the tire manufacturer's customer service number. IMO, you have a better chance of finding someone at a company-owned dealer who has had some company-sponsored training.
Paz,

Where on Goodyear, Michelin or Bridgestone company's web sites do you find "company owned dealers"? I wasn't aware that these companies had their own stores. There are a lot of dealers but not company owned.

Jim E
Old 05-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anyone heard back from the originator of this thread---are we helping that person----have they made a choice----has he/she learned what they came here to learn?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #24
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
Paz,

Where on Goodyear, Michelin or Bridgestone company's web sites do you find "company owned dealers"? I wasn't aware that these companies had their own stores. There are a lot of dealers but not company owned.

Jim E
I'm only familiar with Michelin, and I assumed the Dealer Locator took you to their dealers. Maybe that's not the case.

When I called Michelin a couple of years ago about a problem with premature weather checking, they gave me several choices of Michelin truck tire dealers near where I was located. Maybe "company owned" isn't the correct term, but the dealers that gave me were definitely directly associated with Michelin. I found the names of additional Michelin truck tire dealers using online Yellow Pages, but Michelin only wanted my to go to one of the places they named. The distinction could be franchise vs. retailer or distributor vs. retailer rather than "company owned."
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I read and listened for years all of the info you read above. I just replaced my Michelins on my 2000 38' MH last week. The tires were manufured in 99 so they are actually 12 years old. I carefully inspected them every year and also stopped at a trusted tire shop every summer for their input. I decided based on what I learned to trust my judgement and this month I found the first signs of some cracking. I only had 44K miles on them and they have been perfect up to now. I would trust Michelin's input concerning the 10 years and pay attention to covering and protecting them from direct contact with the ground when stored. I believe the old 5 - 7 year is not really necessary if you pay attention. If I hadn't of found the first signs of cracking, I would still drive my old tires this year but I decided to buy news ones because of the cracks and the 12 years!
Old 05-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
I have recently purchased a 2002 Damon Daybreak with only ~12,000 miles.
All 6 Goodyear G670RV tires looked great (externally) with zippo-wear (as you might expect).....and were at ~82LBs pressure.
The front's were date-coded 3400; the rear's were date-coded 3700.
I chose to replace them based upon age.
I hope that is not the reason I purchase my next set.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
It's my understanding that the Wingfoot Commercial Tire Locations are owned by Goodyear and the managers I've talked to are Goodyear company people. The Goodyear tires are warranted for 7yrs on weather cracking on the sidewalls. I just replaced mine after 6yrs because I don't want to see what kind of damage a blowout on an all steel tire can do to my coach. Plus I kind of like my DW and want us to grow old together
Old 05-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
There are some really good testimonials here and I'm the second owner of this coach so I chose to replace mine now because I don't know how they were cared for. I cover mine when sitting, keep them clean, and check the pressure everyday before driving. I'm hoping this new set will last me 10 years if I take good care of them. A Goodyear guy I trust told me to keep the right pressure, wash them and cover them. Nothing else needed. At some point I will buy a pressure monitoring system to help keep an eye on them.

Tags
fleetwood, pace arrow, rims, tires