Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #1

Talking timeless designs

Ok, been looking and researching DP's for a month or so now and it has become apparent that few coaches (IMHO) hide theirage well - with respect to overall appearance. For instance a 1998 DP (say dutch star) looks rather dated compared to a newer model - not saying its of lesser quality. I guess my point is that I am looking for something in mid 2000's range that isn't gonna look really outdated by the time it's paid off in 5 yrs. Looking for insight on models that may have a more timeless design. I may be way off here as looks are very subjective but I think the Country Coach allures (early-mid 2000's) look pretty good and with a new paint job every 10 yrs or so should still be easy on the eyes for years to come. I guess, I just to want to invest in something that is going to look like hobbled piece of plastic in 10 yrs..
Drop In is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was looking for a coach with the same criteria and picked a Itasca 34 H,DP. I wanted a manufacturer that had the most chance of staying in business and could give good tech support. I also wanted a Freightliner chassis with Air Brakes and a Cat engine with a 6 speed Allison. I aslo didn't want anything longer than 34 feet so I could get into National park campgrounds. I aso wanted something with basement air to keep a lower profile and also keep a lower center of gravity. Look at the different posts of other manufacturers and chassis and all the brake, suspension, and coach problems they all have. I do all of my own work and in 60,000 plus miles I have had no problems. One other thing about a diesel pusher, they have a much shorter overhang and handle the wind much better. With the rear engine design there is no noise up front.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You are mostly talking styling and motorhomes get a lot of styling changes in an attempt to have a modern fresh look. Some modesl, though, do have a style that loks classy even when dated and I. like you, tend to see Country Coaches in that light. Most Prevost bus conversions also have their own style that is appreciated wherever they go. Maybe the style is just $$$, but it works! American Coaches (American Eagle/Heritage/Dream/Tradition) also seem to age like a queen.

At the end, you are the one who is going to have to like the styling, so choose what works for you.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree that the more expensive RVs age better than the rest, but seing as we didnt' have money groing on a tree when we went looking for a motorhome we wanted something with neutral colors both inside and out, thinking that bold colors change from year to year and the neutral colors tend to carry over through the years and not "age" so much.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #5

Monaco products of the early to mid 2000's have aged well. We were at the Tampa super show last week & also toured some used coaches at Lazydays. My wife & I discussed how some coaches did not look as dated as others & the Monaco's topped the list of aging well. In the interest of full disclosure, we have an '03 Monaco & are very pleased with that aspect.

Steve O
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #6

We think that the CC's all have held up very well both physically and cosmetically. Also, for the most part they have understated interiors which hold up better with regard to not looking out of date.
Techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Find what appeals to you and then check under SEARCH and see if other folks are having problems with those models. Chassies are one of the more important features of anything you buy.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Easyrider you are correct about the colors. In the boating industry we call them dated colors. In bow riders (run abouts) stay with a base of white or off white (neutral) with accent in blue, beige or red. In the last few years we have seen yellow, purple, teal and others. If you are out in your boat and it is one of these colors everyone knows your boat is probably 10 years old or older. You will and do see the same thing in the RV industry. If you stay with a white, beige or off white (neutral) base color with graphics that are NOT purple, pink, orange or turquoise ect. you will be better off in the long run. We have all seen RVs with wild colors and graphics that are just a few years old and look really bad but just a few years ago they seemed OK.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop In View Post
Ok, been looking and researching DP's for a month or so now and it has become apparent that few coaches (IMHO) hide theirage well - with respect to overall appearance. For instance a 1998 DP (say dutch star) looks rather dated compared to a newer model - not saying its of lesser quality. I guess my point is that I am looking for something in mid 2000's range that isn't gonna look really outdated by the time it's paid off in 5 yrs. Looking for insight on models that may have a more timeless design. I may be way off here as looks are very subjective but I think the Country Coach allures (early-mid 2000's) look pretty good and with a new paint job every 10 yrs or so should still be easy on the eyes for years to come. I guess, I just to want to invest in something that is going to look like hobbled piece of plastic in 10 yrs..
I bet that '98 DS would look fresher with a new paint job - - I am not sure but I believe they were mostly white and did not have the great gel coat coverage when built. Really the paint jobs are what help a rig look newer. And, as someone mentioned, the neutral interiors are easier to update with some splashes of color than the overdone interiors who horrible colors/patterns. In fact, if that '98 is in good shape, stripping out any unflatterning window treatments, etc. and a good paint job would give you a great coach with lots of life that looked good.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have any idea what a paint job coast? Bunch!
Old 01-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Do you have any idea what a paint job coast? Bunch!

Depending on type, design, pre-paint work required etc. between $10K and $25K.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lightbulb Cost ?

a paint job runs between US $ 12.500 - $ 15,000.

There was a post about a paint job on a DSDP at "Extrem Paint and Graphics" here on this website... Maybe you can find it via 'Search'

and another nice (good) Paint company is in Bremen, IN
"Precision Painting"

RVgreetings
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes I know about how much they are. I should have said...Barbaraok do you know how much a paint job cost?
Old 01-25-2010, 10:50 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Yes I know about how much they are. I should have said...Barbaraok do you know how much a paint job cost?
Sure do - much less than the cost of a new coach. If someone finds a great coach at a very good price, then a new paint job maybe warranted.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote