Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2015, 09:55 AM   #1

Tint

I have read several comments regarding window tint. A few have mention a tint strip across the front windshield. Does the 12 or 14 inch strip really do much good in reducing glare? Front window shade lowers a good distance and would serve same purpose except being able to see through it of course. Just trying to determine if it is worth the money and effort? Any thoughts?
olddog49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my coach, it does very little, its just way to high up
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #3

I put the tint across mine 16" down and it cut the glare to the point I don't put my sunglasses on most of the time
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #4

I have that large tint strip on my windshield. My interior cabinets hang down as low as the tinted glass. If needed, I lower the power visor when running into the sunlight. I would vote, the tint is not needed.

Sidenote: I have much more sunlight reflection off my fancy chrome rearview mirror arms mounted ridiculously out front.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:36 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
I have that large tint strip on my windshield. My interior cabinets hang down as low as the tinted glass. If needed, I lower the power visor when running into the sunlight. I would vote, the tint is not needed.

Sidenote: I have much more sunlight reflection off my fancy chrome rearview mirror arms mounted ridiculously out front.
How far down can the huge front windshield be legally tinted? Seems to me that the drivers' view is only a small portion of it. I know the wipers only cover a fraction of it. I feel like I need to do something. It's feels like sitting under a large magnifying glass.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
Community Moderator

i tinted it myself, 12" down (bought the film from autozone, which is 24" x 6'. split it just perfect to cover both sides). sure worth it.

CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:52 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
It looks like your windshield may have already had some tinting? Mine has some but it doesn't even come down to the bottom of the o/h cabinet. My windshield is gigantic and I could easily tint 24" or more w/o obscuring the driver's view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0254.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	101264  
Old 07-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ours is tinted at top and we also have an electric sun screen that we can bring down. No idea how far it can come down as I stop before it gets into my line of sight. I hate looking through the shade cloth.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:33 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
It looks like your windshield may have already had some tinting? Mine has some but it doesn't even come down to the bottom of the o/h cabinet. My windshield is gigantic and I could easily tint 24" or more w/o obscuring the driver's view.
yes, it had a light tint a few inches wide along the top edge, that didn't help much when sun was low i drove toward it. the movable tint plates hanging in front were too small which could be pulled down or moved sideways but not always in the best positions. now i feel good.

your rig is 7 years newer than mine with a single bigger windshield, awesome. you may tint it down to a line slightly higher than your horizontal visual line when you sit straight on driver seat and look at front. it's definitely worth the investment.

happy trails.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:50 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I have the power sunscreen also. I does OK for blocking the sun light, but doesn't do much for the heat gain. Same thing with the full shade, it blocks the sunlight but there is still a lot of heat passing through and into the coach. I'm wondering if there is some type of Low E or infared coating to reduce the radiant heat. One of our previous cars had what they called "Infared glass" It was very effective and was virtually clear. The downside was that garage door openers and toll booth readers had a hard time passing through the glass. There was a little square cutout by the mirror for the toll tag.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
How far down can the huge front windshield be legally tinted? Seems to me that the drivers' view is only a small portion of it. I know the wipers only cover a fraction of it. I feel like I need to do something. It's feels like sitting under a large magnifying glass.
If you look near the top of your windshield you will see a letter "A" printed there. That is the lowest that windshield tint can be legally applied. To that end we had our windshield completely tinted with a 3M ceramic film which is 95 transparent. There is no noticeable tint but it is very effective at screening UV and IR radiation and it does seem to help with heat. Now the downside. When we were having the film applied the installer (after a couple of failures) asked if he could apply the film in strips as it would not shrink both across the width and length. He explained that our windshield had some extreme curves and the film would not conform if he did it in one piece.
Nievely I agreed. The installer made sure no seams were in my immediate field of vision so that part was fine. The film, however, is polarized and the polarization planes did not align
So now if I wear polarized sunglasses I get to experience a 60's flashback with splendid dynamic re coloring of the road and cars ahead! You have no idea how hard it is to find non-polarized, comfortable sunglasses!

Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #12
Community Moderator

there is a heat blocking film for residential use, that might meet your needs. i used it 20 years ago for my house side windows and forgot the brand, might be "gila". normally residential tint films do not have the level of clear vision light transmission than that for auto.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
there is a heat blocking film for residential use, that might meet your needs. i used it 20 years ago for my house side windows and forgot the brand, might be "gila". normally residential tint films do not have the level of clear vision light transmission than that for auto.

The Gila Platinum residential tint is what I'm planning to use on all our side windows, except the ones right beside the driver and passenger seats. I will probably use an automotive tint there in order to be able to see out better when driving at night!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The Gila Platinum residential tint is what I'm planning to use on all our side windows, except the ones right beside the driver and passenger seats. I will probably use an automotive tint there in order to be able to see out better when driving at night!
yep, "gila platinum residential" is the term. i tinted driver side window and passenger side door with 20% vlt auto tint, no issues.