Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Tinting Windshields

We have a 98' Itasca and while making a east to west coast trip I decided to have the windshields tinted totally to reduce heat and glare. A shop in Great Falls Mt told me no, it's illegal. Anyone out there know differently?
Godtomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

They are correct, the front glass can not be tinted except for the top part of about 10 inches or so. I have seen people do it themselves but a honest shop will not do it as it is illegal. Side windows, different story though.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #3

X2...

Think about it... It may reduce the sun's glare during daytime but at night-time, depending on the degree of tint, would reduce visibility to dangerous levels.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
dont known about plastic tint. but i needed a windshild for a sports car and had it made. i asked if they would make it in that dark smoke glass and they did
best windshild i ever had. keep the heat out and at night was fine. sold the car years ago but still see it has the same windshild i dont see why new cars
dont come with a full tint in glass.
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra1 View Post
They are correct, the front glass can not be tinted except for the top part of about 10 inches or so. I have seen people do it themselves but a honest shop will not do it as it is illegal. Side windows, different story though.
Correct!! Not only that, but it's illegal to put any film on the windshield (as in NASCAR tear-offs) either clear or tinted. Yes, the restriction is because these films and tinting cause a marked decrease in light transmission that you may need for night driving.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tinting Windshields

3M has created a new film called crystalline 90 that is dot legal for windshields. DOT law states that you can apply a clear protective coating to your windshield as long as the total VLT "Visible light transmission" doesn't go below 70% VLT. Crystalline 90 is 90% VLT and most factory windshields are between 78% to 80% VLT. Together this would darken your windshield to 70% to 72% VLT. Crystalline 90 is the lightest film available but offers a higher heat rejection than most darker window films.

Should have added to check your state laws. I had this done in Florida.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #7

I know in Texas it is illegal to tint your front windshield with standard tint. I am looking into 70% Ceramic tint which I believe is now legal to use on a windshield. The only caveat is the cost - about 3-4 times traditional tinting. If we decide to do it, I'll let everyone know.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #8

We have had the windshields tinted, clear in two coaches in TX. The car dealers are having it done on the high end cars. The new car buyers are often back in the first month with the family cars for windshield tints jobs.

The difference is amazing when driving east or west, or parked. No one can see the tint, night driving is not a problems. Expect no privacy from the clear tint, like the dark tints on side windows.

Both coaches passed inspections without issues. The clear tinter left a small area for the stickers to be removed and added.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #9

Should tinting be on the inside or exterior of the glass. Have been told that applying on the interior could destroy the insulating gas on dual layered glass.
glemo81540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
By any chance do you recall the approximate cost for the 90% crystalline?

Thanks, Thom
Godtomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
OP stated that he wanted to reduce heat and glare. Will these ceramic coatings reduce heat significantly? For me I lower my visors, turn up the AC, and put on polarized sunglasses. It's cheaper and I can even take the sunglasses off the MH when I'm stopped.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tinting Windshields

This is from the 3M website

"3M Crystalline Automotive Window Films feature a proprietary, multilayer optical film technology that combines over 200 layers in a film that is thinner than a Post-it® Note. This unique technology is the reason a clear film can reject more heat than darker films, without changing your car's appearance."

As far as cost - Expensive! I had my windshield done in a car, not my motorhome. It definitely makes a difference. I don't remember the cost, but it was around 3-4 times regular tint cost 2 years ago. My wild guess is well over a grand for a MH windshield. Maybe the cost has come down since I had mine done though.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godtomley View Post
We have a 98' Itasca and while making a east to west coast trip I decided to have the windshields tinted totally to reduce heat and glare. A shop in Great Falls Mt told me no, it's illegal. Anyone out there know differently?
Only Illegal if you get caught!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godtomley View Post

Here is Montana law

(4) A person may not operate a motor vehicle that is required to be registered in this state upon a highway if:
(a) the windshield has sunscreening material that is not clear and transparent below the AS-1 line or if it has a sunscreening material that is red, yellow, or amber in color above the AS-1 line;
(b) the front side windows have sunscreening or other transparent material that has a luminous reflectance of more than 35% or has light transmission of less than 24%;
(c) the rear window or side windows behind the front seat have sunscreening or other transparent material that has a luminous reflectance of more than 35% or has light transmission of less than 14%, except for the rear window or side windows behind the front seat on a multipurpose vehicle, van, or bus; or
(d) the windows of a camper, motor home, pickup cover, slide-in camper, or other motor vehicle do not meet the standards for safety glazing material specified by federal law in 49 CFR 571.205. - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/mtcode/6....B9W2Qj7P.dpuf

In other words, the whole windshield with colored tint would be illegal. The crystalline 90 being clear should be okay since the law appears to allow clear and transparent material.