Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tips for filling up the gas tank?

I have a 35' Dolphin and tow a Honda CR-V whenever we're traveling. I've found it to be pretty challenging finding places to fill the gas tank. Pilot/Flying J, despite touting themselves as RV friendly, are the worse - the lanes are short and just too busy with cars to maneuver the coach+towed through. This is true of Love and TA truck stops as well. I have the best luck with smallish gas stations off the interstate in between more populated areas.

Any tips / suggestions for finding gas stations I can more easily use? I have to say that this is one definite advantage for having a DP... you can just go through the truck lines at truck stops - could not be easier!

caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 39' MH towing a CRV and use truck stops and Costco without a problem. I take a quick look to make sure there is an easy exit before pulling in.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, sometimes is a challenge to find a good entry and exit. I don't wait to when I am way down on gas before looking to fill, so as to not get into a jam. Often drive past and come back around so as to be able to see the space and especially the exit plan.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We we traveled cross-country in 2012, we also found that Pilot was not the best choice for a gas RV towing a car. We are only 30' plus toad, but even then we had problems. Look for stations that have the lanes parallel with the store rather than perpendicular to the store. Most Pilot stations are the rather part. I found a Pilot station with a gas RV lane once that was not usable in my opinion. Most Shell and Chevrons are parallel although more expensive. Sometimes the TA stations are better to get in and out of.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #5

Tips for filling up the gas tank?

I always try to 'look ahead' before setting out on a day's journey. I use AllStay's apps on my iPad to pick out potential gasoline fill up points and then I Double check them for good access by using Google Maps satellite view or Google earth. Takes a lot of stress out of fill ups for us long gassers when we have a plan before needing a fillup.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with Ed G, Planning ahead with google maps and google earth view. I have also driven to a station first thing, filled up, before hooking on the towed. Also the campground you are leaving would be a good source of info.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 38 ft dp which is actually 39ft 11 inches long. Plus I pull a 2012 enclave. I actually fill up at Murphy ( think Walmart) service stations quite a lot. Most of them have the outer lane where bigger vehicles can get in and out of it easily. The outer lane if they have diesel will have a diesel pump and a gasoline pump on the same island. If you get a Walmart credit card a lot of the murphy stations will give from 5c to 15 c per gallon discount with the card. I take my card to the attendant have them charge 500.00 on it then I do not have to continually reswipe the card and start the pump. If I use less than 500.00 the card is only charged the amount on the pump.

I do not know if that would work for you but it is an alternative.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #8

Murphys does not have stations west of Albuquerque or Denver. I do use them when traveling east but not all are large RV friendly.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
I agree with Ed G, Planning ahead with google maps and google earth view. I have also driven to a station first thing, filled up, before hooking on the towed. Also the campground you are leaving would be a good source of info.
That's the way I do it also, always checking on Google Earth and Street view first. If we are staying at an RV park for a few days and I know that I'll have to fill up when we leave, I'll drive the toad around checking out the gas stations. I hate to go through all of those gyrations just to fill up but that's the way it is as long as I have a gasser.

I try to fill up at 1/2 to 1/4 of a tank left so that I'm not forced in to filling up at any old gas station that I happen to come across. I've never had to disconnect the toad and back the MH around to get gas but it's been really close a couple of times because of cars or deliver vehicles parked so that I didn't have a big enough turning radius.

If I find a gas station with an easy in and out I feel like I've hit a home run and I can enjoy the trip-until I have to fill up again.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I start looking for a gas station (if not already plan out) when down to 1/2 tank. I stick to the outside lanes at gas station, and ALWAYS look for the exit (cant backup with toad). My fuel filler hose is in the back so it alway seems I am blocking two pumps, blocking traffic or maybe just sticking out to far. I also leave the backup camera on so the DW can see me and can call for help. Most people are good, the rest not so much.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I now have 108k miles on my Motorhome so I have purchased a lot of gas. After I started using perpendicular gas pumps like most gas stations are designed, it is now getting easier and less stressful.

I am always looking ahead, if I can't see a way out, I don't go in.

As stated earlier, the end pumps are the pumps to try to get, but not always, For me, I prefer counterclockwise, pull in, and turn parallel with the building and turn at my pump and face outward ussually with the outbound driveway straight in front of me or room to turn towards it ahead of me.

Sometimes I even park at a 30 degree angle with the pump, because a car is getting gas at the forward pump, and the hose will reach my tank at angle.

Usually my toad is sticking out, but cars that are parked in the front parking spaces at the building, either wait, go around it, or go the other way. It is rare that I am actually blocking anybody, I can only remember one time.

I can now pull into almost any gas station and get gas.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
caheath....I do the same thing you do, look for stations outside of populated areas.

Last week I had to use a TA in Wildwood, Florida. 15 minutes waiting to get to the pump because of one person doing I don't know what.

Then the pump shut off at $75. That's normal so I reinserted my card like I do everywhere else.....too bad for me. Can't do that there.

I don't use truck stops at all for all the reasons you mentioned. We just eyeball places as we go along and if it looks easy to get in and out that's where we go. I don't care what it costs.

Saving $5.00 on a tank of gas isn't worth it to me if one of the morons run into me. There are a lot of people wandering around who shouldn't be left alone....they wander among us.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_G View Post
I always try to 'look ahead' before setting out on a day's journey. I use AllStay's apps on my iPad to pick out potential gasoline fill up points and then I Double check them for good access by using Google Maps satellite view or Google earth. Takes a lot of stress out of fill ups for us long gassers when we have a plan before needing a fillup.
Which Allstay's app do you use to find gas stations? I use their Military Campground app...
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
I now have 108k miles on my Motorhome so I have purchased a lot of gas. After I started using perpendicular gas pumps like most gas stations are designed, it is now getting easier and less stressful.

I am always looking ahead, if I can't see a way out, I don't go in.

As stated earlier, the end pumps are the pumps to try to get, but not always, For me, I prefer counterclockwise, pull in, and turn parallel with the building and turn at my pump and face outward ussually with the outbound driveway straight in front of me or room to turn towards it ahead of me.

Sometimes I even park at a 30 degree angle with the pump, because a car is getting gas at the forward pump, and the hose will reach my tank at angle.

Usually my toad is sticking out, but cars that are parked in the front parking spaces at the building, either wait, go around it, or go the other way. It is rare that I am actually blocking anybody, I can only remember one time.

I can now pull into almost any gas station and get gas.
Very good strategies for filling up at perpendicular pumps and I have used them myself in a lot of cases.

Tags
gas, tank