Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2016, 10:30 PM   #1

Tips for running a quieter diesel generator?

Sort of a generic questions across all Class A's. This by the heading is related to diesel generators, and how to make modifications to make them run quieter.

For sure, different coaches have different ways of compartmentalizing the generators. Our coach has a 2003 era QD8000 generator. It's in a 'contained box', and on my coach it's a non slide out generator.

I talked to an owner of a Rexhall with the QD7500, and he said he added Dynamat sound dampener to the outside, and bottom of the box surrounding his generator. He also worked with a muffler shop to install a better flowing, but also quieter, muffler.

I can see that I can add Dynamat to many of the sides of the box surround our QD8000. I could even add it to both the outside, and inside, for a double sound proofing.

But was wondering what other tips some of you veteran RV'ers might have for making the generator (Gas or Diesel) less of a noise factor. Both inside of the rig, and outside too...

TIA for any thoughts, and best to all,
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 10:43 PM   #2

Here's what's on mine, it works very well. Doesn't get too hot but definitely quiets things down.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:03 AM   #3

Hey Smitty,
How is ya? Well, on your thoughts of quieting a QD, Hmmmm, not sure about this. I'm no design engineer (I was a fire engineer, does that count?) but, my QD is considerably louder in operation than many I've heard. And, it's definitely not the MUFFLER SYSTEM. My little kubot diesel in that gen just seems to make klatter-klatter noise than many. And, as you more than likely know, I've had mine torn down to almost the gills due to the replacement of both the rotor and the stator, as well as the infamous temp sensor.

When I did the replacement of the temp sensor, I had to remove the head to get at a broken thermostat housing. Upon re-installing the head, that entailed adjusting the valves. Well, I did that and, to Kubotas clearance requirements. So, it's not the valves that are making all that klatter.

But, I for one, would surely like to make my little Onan 7.5 considerably quieter. Adding that batting to the sides/top and back, "might" make some difference but, adding it to the front would be a tough one and ours IS on a slide out tray. As you can see, ours (as well as I think all QDs are outfitted with) is setup with the factory dynamat in the inside anyways. And, it's pretty well done. So, adding some to the outside, I'm just not sure would be of real benefit. I'm only thinking logical here. I mean, if the sound tries to get through the factory dynamat, it has to then go through the 14-16GA sheet metal walls and top too.

And, there's not that much sound anyways but, it is there, for sure. I mean, what the heck, maybe it would work. Might have to try it just for grins. Oh well, another winter project here in LaKe Havasu, thanks Smitty, as if I don't have enough already Pal.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020136.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	135146  
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #4

Hi Crabdaddy and of course Sir Scott!

Crabdaddy, was the inside of your cabinet sound proof like Scott showed? And if so, any SWAG on before and after our outside insulation (Nice looking job!)? 10%, 25%, 50%, etc. quieter?

And I envy you both. As our 04 CC Allure did not have the slide out generator. We've trimmed a bit of the lower air dam to make unbolting and dropping the unit out easier. Still either need to ramp or jack the front end of the coach up enough to drop and clear the generator down and then forward. The plus side to this, is once out, access is 360!

And yeah Scott, my inside generator surround cabinet is insulated too. And it is the 'diesel clatter' that I'm hearing too. Not real bad compared to some, but also not near as quiet as I've heard from some coaches. Of course, they were a bit newer then mine, and perhaps Onan has changed their design and quieted them more.

We're doing more National Parks with my Old Fart Card, and many the times the generator hours line up with the peak times of us enjoying being outside. This is usually only a problem when in the deeper woods, or after days of cloud covers, as our 1200W's keep our 800AH battery bank usually in pretty good shape. (We spent 14 days in Apgar Campground in West Glacier, where we were lucky to get a site that provided about 75 mins of direct non shaded sun, and probably another 3 hours total of partial sun - when it was not cloudy. And it was cloudy probably 8 out of those 14 days! Same thing when in Banff Village 1, but even less direct sun. So, generator hours, which are not as generous in Banff, were required to keep the SOC up! We'll be spending a month on the Olympic Peninsula, and expect more of the same on lack of sun to maintain the SOC levels.

Oh well, they say a generator that is well used, is happier - our generator should be very happy at the end of this trip.

Off season? We'll see what we can do to add some more sound proofing. (Or heck, maybe we'll hit the Canadian West Lotto - and order that new 40' Prevost Marathon!!!!)

Appreciate you both responding,
Smitty

On Edit: I forgot to link this site. Was hoping that once I get some measurements, that I could look into one of their 'quiet' muffler units. Might even call them and talk to see if they've had other RV'ers or Boaters approach them on the QDXXXX series - they may have some tips...

http://www.hardydiesel.com/acc/exhaust-kit.html
Old 08-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #5

Do you live near any equipment rental yards?

If so ask if they have any "theater mode" or quiet generators.

We had a fleet of such units in a past life from 25 kw to 45 kw and these were amazingly quiet.
Basically a large box with foam and some magic in how things were mounted and some tricks with the exhaust too.

The rental yard may let you look at their units so yiu can get ideas and take photos as well as just Google for same to get ideas.

There are many tricks with one being isolation mounting everything so any vibration from the unit is not amplified by the coach.

Used them for a rotary phase converter that was mounted to the top of our car lift column and difference was from could not communicate unless shouting to what is that humming someplace?

Isolation mounts are cheap too.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Do you live near any equipment rental yards?

If so ask if they have any "theater mode" or quiet generators.

We had a fleet of such units in a past life from 25 kw to 45 kw and these were amazingly quiet.
Basically a large box with foam and some magic in how things were mounted and some tricks with the exhaust too.

The rental yard may let you look at their units so yiu can get ideas and take photos as well as just Google for same to get ideas.

There are many tricks with one being isolation mounting everything so any vibration from the unit is not amplified by the coach.

Used them for a rotary phase converter that was mounted to the top of our car lift column and difference was from could not communicate unless shouting to what is that humming someplace?

Isolation mounts are cheap too.
Don't RV mounted generators have isolation mounts installed from the factory? I'm sure some are better than others. I would also like to reduce my generator vibration and noise level. I have the Powertech 8.0, also not on a slide. Another IVR2 member mentioned he replaced his muffler elbow with a flexible elbow from Powertech and it helped vibration considerably.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'll be watching this thread carefully as I am trying to figure out how to quiet my QD8000 genset down. It is too loud both inside and outside the coach. I've heard that a lot of the noise comes from under the generator... Don't know how that would be quieted down because that is where the air intake is...
I like the looks of the quiet board mounted to the outside of the cabinet.... What brand is that? Also would like to find and install a different muffler system.
Thank you for all the ideas so far!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #8

Isolation mounts on everything attached to the generator.

You can also look at isolation between genny and rv.

Imagine the genny is mounted on a frame member and there is a wall of the body nearby.

The genny is making noise that is acoustically coupled to the body panel.

You could add either foam or a sheet of masonic with insulation behind it to act as a buffer.

The trick is to have either something that is hard that fan reflect the sound waves then something soft to absorb them between the hard stuff and the outside or by having enough soft stuff to absorb the sound waves.

The quiet models we had were lined with a very thick insulation of some sort with heat reflective foil as well.

If air cooled like the older Onan which are very noisy carefully duct work to cause sound to dissipate is a hard one.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabdaddy View Post

Here's what's on mine, it works very well. Doesn't get too hot but definitely quiets things down.

Back to the land of the internet!

I talked with a gent at Martha Creek Provincial Campground with an older Safari Continental (Well maintained rolling classic!). He did not have a slide, same as me, but when he had it out he went around the outside of his generator's box (Was not the QDXXXX series, but know he said it was Onan.) with HardieBacker (Cement based tile backer board.). He said he had lots of small pieces left over from a few projects, enough to do the job. And, he wanted something that would hand moisture over the years. He said he cut them to fit, then drilled holes thru the HardieBacker and sheet metal of the box, and attached with rivets with large washers on the HardieBoard side (Some kind of unit that was a combo rivet with about 3/4" washer head on one end.) He said it cut the noise by about 20%. But, he also said if he had it to do over, he'd have gone with another product called QuietRock. (He said he'd used this on the walls of his Home Studio, and was impressed with he sound suppression.) His opinion was that it would have a 30%+ sound reduction.

Now, I suspect the HardieBacker will survive along time. But being rigid, I question it being the right choice for soundproofing. As he stated, it helped, but IMO it would also transfer the sound thru the rigid cement board.

Don't know anything about the QuietRock product he mentioned. But my thinking is moisture would wick it's way into the drywall material (Assuming it is some sort of gypsum mixed(?))

But, I wanted to share his approach.

I will share that I used a product that went between the drywall and the studs, it was placed between our kitchen wall and one of the bedrooms, to reduce the sounds of the kitchen AM moving around noises. It was a flack semi rubber/plastic material, between 3/8-1/2" thick (Been 15 years, so memory on that thickness.) I have a small hunk of it left, and will check it out when I get home to see if I think it would be a good material for outside of the box. (I believe it was a Dynamat product too, but one that was just pre hung like drywall on the studs, and then the drywall was installed over it. Had 16" on center markings, to help on the install of the drywall.)

It really made a difference on that bedrooms quietness.

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 08-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #10
YC1

I have spent many many hours trying to quiet mine down. Adding insulation to the outside did little for mine and I have since removed it. Mine is a 2008 model.

Experimenting with noise from my AC's inside and the generator I have discovered that most of the noise is not exhaust or noise coming from the well insulated housing.

The largest noise is from the air intake and and output. The muffler noise is small but it comes out at ground level and does add some noise to the complex issue.
I found that my Genturi helped a lot with muffler noise in redirecting that sound.

Sitting around the RV the noise comes out from all sides of the RV. Placing a moving blanket on the side of the rv where the activity is happening decreases the noise tremendously. This is a pain of course. I considered building some nice drapes the could be snapped into place but did not do it.

My generator is on a slide so making noise dampening devices for the intake and output was only experimental. However, the decrease in noise was stunning.

The object was to redirect the output air instead of it hammering the ground below the generator. The intake noise has the same issue. Redirecting the air flow to a horizontal direction versus straight down makes a huge difference.

I made some experimental baffles from tin and lined them with noise dampening material.

If your generator is not on a slide you should be able to easily attach something.

I used the same concept in making air conditioner covers on the inside of the RV. The noise level is about 1/3 of the original and makes living with them much easier.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #11

My generator noise is not that bad. I have a Powertech 8.0 not on a slide. My challenge seems to be quieting the various things that vibrate. My front hood seem to be one of the culprits. I have adjusted the latches and rubber bumpers trying to find the best fit. I have improved it for sure. If I pop the latch on the hood most of the vibration goes away. Some day I will need to remove the generator for service and when I do I might add some additional sound deadening insulation.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #12

I had a QD 8000 in my bus conversion and have a QD8000 in my Country Coach on a slide mount FWIW. I will concur that the noise is coming from the bottom of the genset generally and from the cooling air intake and discharge ports. The unit in my bus conversion seemed quieter because it was mounted in the middle of one bay; with the bay floor still intact aside from the air intake and discharge areas. So I think putting something underneath the entire generator and then baffling the intake and discharge would be huge.

And on another note, I think the relatively high speed (up to 3600 RPM) of these Onans is another problem. A constant speed 1800 RPM unit I think would be most desirable. The PowerTech diesel might be an 1800 RPM unit.

Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
Delano MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:17 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
YC!, do you have any info or pics on your A/C covers you made?
Old 08-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #14
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
YC!, do you have any info or pics on your A/C covers you made?
Not trying to hijack the thread here.

The closest vent is for the AC, the furthest is inserted flush into the Fantastic Vent opening. It is not used to quiet the Fantastic vents although it does when a filter is added to the vent,.

The front one is raised 1.5 inches from the surface. The vent fins are closed and a piece of sound dampening material is lining the inside of the fins. One end of the vent is cut off and faces the front of the RV. Any intake noise is directed that way and works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent cover.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	136337  

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, generator