Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2015, 06:58 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
This may sound trivial but get in the shower, pretend to drop the soap and then pick it up! We thought we found a shower large enough when we bought our first one but when we dropped the soap -well eventually we bought another one (obviously that wasn't the only reason). Floor plan is so important if you intend to spend a lot of time in it and a little thing like picking up the soap can make a big difference. As you go in the many coaches imagine yourself living in it and see what you like and what you don't.
Gauke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with getting your feet wet...we did quite a bit of research before we bought our ACE in 2012. It was exactly what we thought it was - a nice floor plan in a relatively inexpensive Class A gas motorhome. It was far from perfect, but it allowed us to learn, find the things we liked and did not like about it and have some great times. It also helped us learn about ourselves and how much we enjoy traveling in a Class A.

I won't say we went into the purchase with plans to change later, but we knew it wasn't a MH that we would want to live in full time. We still aren't sure we will ever go full time, but we are reaching a point where we want to take longer trips, up to and including planning for traveling around the country down the road. By this time last year, we had pretty much decided that we were going to change at some point and started reading and learning. We also talked with anyone we could at campgrounds about what they liked and didn't like about their MH.

Over the winter, we got quite a bit more serious about the reading and searching. This spring we pretty much knew what we wanted to concentrate on in terms of manufacturers, size, features and floor plans. It was more of a question of getting into as many as we could at some point. We seriously looked at several different brands in the 34'-38' range and went in a few of the larger MHs - enough to know that we didn't want or need to go that large. We also decided against the early favorite. We never found one close enough to get into but got in other similar sized, similar floor-plan units and even larger units with the floor plan. It just didn't work for us. When we saw the Meridian 36M for the first time, we really liked everything about it. Then we did more research on it, followed many of the comments mentioned previously and looked at it with slides closed as well as open before heading on a test drive and talking money...Early yet, but we are quite happy with the decision we made this time as well!

2016 Itasca Meridian 36M, 2009 Jeep Wrangler tow...
TurnTwoNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnTwoNet View Post
I agree with getting your feet wet...we did quite a bit of research before we bought our ACE in 2012. It was exactly what we thought it was - a nice floor plan in a relatively inexpensive Class A gas motorhome. It was far from perfect, but it allowed us to learn, find the things we liked and did not like about it and have some great times. It also helped us learn about ourselves and how much we enjoy traveling in a Class A.

I won't say we went into the purchase with plans to change later, but we knew it wasn't a MH that we would want to live in full time. We still aren't sure we will ever go full time, but we are reaching a point where we want to take longer trips, up to and including planning for traveling around the country down the road. By this time last year, we had pretty much decided that we were going to change at some point and started reading and learning. We also talked with anyone we could at campgrounds about what they liked and didn't like about their MH.

Over the winter, we got quite a bit more serious about the reading and searching. This spring we pretty much knew what we wanted to concentrate on in terms of manufacturers, size, features and floor plans. It was more of a question of getting into as many as we could at some point. We seriously looked at several different brands in the 34'-38' range and went in a few of the larger MHs - enough to know that we didn't want or need to go that large. We also decided against the early favorite. We never found one close enough to get into but got in other similar sized, similar floor-plan units and even larger units with the floor plan. It just didn't work for us. When we saw the Meridian 36M for the first time, we really liked everything about it. Then we did more research on it, followed many of the comments mentioned previously and looked at it with slides closed as well as open before heading on a test drive and talking money...Early yet, but we are quite happy with the decision we made this time as well!
We love our 2015 Meridian 36M! We went through a very similar process. We learned in a 25' Safari TREK Class A (gas) for 9 yrs. Bought it off eBay in 2006 for $19,000 in great condition and had a ball in it! In 2013, decided we were ready for a DP, a bedroom & slides plus a few other luxuries! We thought we had found it and were ready to order a Tiffin RED 33A this Jan and then saw the Meridian 36M. Bought the Meridian in Jan 2015 and have been on 4 week-long trips and it is a dream to RV in. Getting ready for a 21-day trip with our grandson! It will feel good to be "On the road Again!"

It is a pricess but so worth it. Happy hunting! ~Kay
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #32

Once you find a model you like come back to the forum and ask current owners their opinion.

If they are being honest you'll get some of the most constructive input you could imagine!

Take your time - Have Fun!
Old 06-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #33

I really appreciate the responses to my post. I can tell I'll become an active member on this forum as we search for, find, purchase, and travel in our future Motorhome. Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and wisdom.

John
Allfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #34

Tom-NC we are thinking DP because we plan to do a lot of travel in the mountains. We were told by numerous folks that a gas powered MH does not do well in mountainous terrain. Is that true? We looked at gas powered MHs at the RV show this year and liked several models. After climbing in and out of numerous models we went back the gas powered MH we liked the best and that's when we noticed the frame did not seem to be a stable as the DPs we were on. The gas coach rocked a little as other looky Lous like us got on and off the MH. Not a deal breaker for us, just an observation.
Allfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauke View Post
this may sound trivial but get in the shower, pretend to drop the soap and then pick it up! We thought we found a shower large enough when we bought our first one but when we dropped the soap -well eventually we bought another one (obviously that wasn't the only reason). Floor plan is so important if you intend to spend a lot of time in it and a little thing like picking up the soap can make a big difference. As you go in the many coaches imagine yourself living in it and see what you like and what you don't.
so so true!!!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #36

Perhaps invest in soap on a rope?
WannabeRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post
We love our 2015 Meridian 36M! We went through a very similar process. We learned in a 25' Safari TREK Class A (gas) for 9 yrs. Bought it off eBay in 2006 for $19,000 in great condition and had a ball in it! In 2013, decided we were ready for a DP, a bedroom & slides plus a few other luxuries! We thought we had found it and were ready to order a Tiffin RED 33A this Jan and then saw the Meridian 36M. Bought the Meridian in Jan 2015 and have been on 4 week-long trips and it is a dream to RV in. Getting ready for a 21-day trip with our grandson! It will feel good to be "On the road Again!"

It is a pricess but so worth it. Happy hunting! ~Kay
I would not quantify 9 years in a motorhome so much as a learning experience but you wore it out. Of couse you learned things but you obviously purchased the correct MH for your needs or you are the most patient folks in the world.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:00 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfish View Post
Tom-NC we are thinking DP because we plan to do a lot of travel in the mountains. We were told by numerous folks that a gas powered MH does not do well in mountainous terrain. Is that true? We looked at gas powered MHs at the RV show this year and liked several models. After climbing in and out of numerous models we went back the gas powered MH we liked the best and that's when we noticed the frame did not seem to be a stable as the DPs we were on. The gas coach rocked a little as other looky Lous like us got on and off the MH. Not a deal breaker for us, just an observation.
Well, there are mountains and then there are mountains...I drove the ACE 17000 miles or so over 4 years. I probably have about 170 on the Meridian so far. We never had the opportunity to take our ACE out west. However, it did spend a good amount of time in the mountains of VA, WV, KY, MD, PA. So far, I haven't had the chance to take our Meridian on some of those same roads, but...

The Meridian seems more stable than the ACE (in turns, in wind, near trucks). Just the weight difference alone should cause some improvement. I always "take my time" when I drive the RV. I adjust my speed to what I feel comfortable with in the given conditions. That said, I never felt the ACE was lacking in power - even when towing our Wrangler in the mountains. It was typically able to hit whatever speed I felt comfortable driving - and just as importantly, it was able to slow us down effectively.

What I will say is that the big V10 gas engine is pretty much right underneath you, so when it is working to increase or maintain speed in the hills, you will hear it and have to speak fairly loud to have any conversation. I also noticed that I really paid attention to those signs on the highway that indicate a lower speed limit for a turn just so I stayed at or below the posted limit. It made for less lean and a more "in control" ride.

Hope that helps!

2016 Itasca Meridian 36M, 2009 Jeep Wrangler tow...
TurnTwoNet is offline   Reply With Quote