Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2005, 03:09 AM   #1

My wife and I are planning on staying in our 32' RV, in the Rockie's this winter from mid November till the end of Febuary. Anyone have any special tips or tricks us Southern'ers should know? Like insullation in the windows, moisture buildup, etc. Thanks for any info you can give.
B&L

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2005, 03:09 AM   #2

My wife and I are planning on staying in our 32' RV, in the Rockie's this winter from mid November till the end of Febuary. Anyone have any special tips or tricks us Southern'ers should know? Like insullation in the windows, moisture buildup, etc. Thanks for any info you can give.
B&L

Old 09-22-2005, 05:34 PM   #3

We hve spent a winter in our motorhome. I took styrofoam and blocked the two vent fans shrouds and also the skylight in the shower. I also took some thin foam and slid in the windows behind the day-night shades and put some of the aluminum backed bubble pack sheeting (4' X 10' from camping world) across the windshield. I also found that the dash vents allowed cold air in so make sure that it is switched to off before shuting down the ignition. Also towels and soft rags around any air leaks helps. Make sure you have heat tape and pipe insulation around the water hose and it helps to put black plastic bags over the drain hose to help keep any low spots from freezing and blocking the line. hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:09 AM   #4

Also don't let your propane level get low. As the temp. drops so does the pressure in the tank. Propane tank pressure is temperature related and it's BTU efficiency decreases as temps drop while at the same time you need to use more of it. If you are plugged in you can help off set propane usuage with an electric heater, it will have to work hard but it does help, just be careful.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:52 AM   #5

To help prevent moisture build up leave a vent or window open a crack. If you use your oven/stove a by product of combustion is moisture so keep a vent open when cooking. Be sure your carbonmonoxide detector(s) are working because the RV is sealed up more than in warmer weather. If you are using your generator keep snow away from the exhaust pipe and keep windows that are near the generator closed, fumes can and will get into the interior of the RV. If your detectors are working they will let you know if there is a problem. Personally I never let the generator run while we sleep, every year there are incidences of people dying in their sleep from monoxide poisoning.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:56 PM   #6

We use an electric oil-filled radiator, as there is no open flame to worry about, and they are the most energy efficient. They keep things really cosy, once they have warmed up.

Don't Drink and Drive, EVER!!
LakeConroePenny,TX is offline   Reply With Quote