Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #15

Purchased our Monaco in 2007 with 8 year old BFG tires. We could see the chord in the 1/8 inch cracks in thes sidewalls! It scared me to test drive the coach. After settling on a price we had tires installed before we left the dealership.

Although I am impressed that the old 11R-22.5 tires held and did not let go I never ever want to see that look again.
Windecker

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had no experance with Blowouts on anything but a PT Curiser and I have never owned a recap. I also had never owned a MH until June of last year.

Tires were a concern when I purchased, but not because of age (I was unware of that issue at the time) and I inspected all 6 tires and was very pleased that they had almost new tread (Why not, the MH only had 13,000 miles on it.

I took three weekend trips, hauling one or two grandsons with me each time as well as the wife and a daughter. Then the wife and one daughter and grandson took a week long trip and I was comforable with it all. One thing I had noted while install covers on the tires was that there was some kind of black stuff on the side walls that came off all over my hands. I assumed it was a tire dressing and called the dealership to ask what it was and how could I get it off so I could use a different dressing. They told me they did not know what it was, but it should wear off with a little use.

Then while the wife, daughter and grandson were on their trip I discovered IRV2.com and a thread about tire age and the assocated problems, so when they returned I checked the tires for age and discovered they were the OEM Tires installed at the factory and 11 years old.

I then started shopping for new tires and two of the places I talked too told me the black coming off the sidewall was also a sign of age and over use or incorrect use of Tire Dressing.

I also talked to my brother and cousin who are OTR Truckers, but they both told me they wore the tires our too quicky to worry about age. (about 18 months max). Maybe they were safe and maybe they were not, but I am not going to risk my family members (and others on the road) with questionable tires, they mean way more to me the the cost of tires.

During this same time I also saw a Motorhome on the side of the road and the driver walking away, so I stopped to give him a ride or help if I could. He had a rear tire blow out and it caused a ton of damage to the side of his motorhome. Lucky for the others on the road it was a passenger side tire and he was driving in the right hand lane when it blew.

Each to his or her own, but to me my family and others on the road are worth more then a set of tires.

Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just replaced my Michelins after ten years---and the old ones really looked good inside and out. I take excellent care of my tires, covered, aired up properly etc; Hard to believe they were blow out prone--but I am not sorry that I changed them. Even the emloyee changing the tires admitted they really looked good---44000 miles ten years. Michelin reccomends ten years---and I just think that rubber ages so it was about time.

I spoke to a friend who does not subscribe to the age of tire palaber---his tires are about 14 years old, never had any problems. He said "well it is just about how much risk you are willing to accept". My response was "with my tires not much and certainly not as much as you are". So I cut the best deal I could get and got some new shoes.

Incidently I went with Equal for a front balance---rides nice---both front cores leak---drives me crazy---so when I get back after winter I will have the equal dumped and spin the tires for balance. Installer says they used correct valve cores---so who knows---I'm just a little put off by it.

My new tires feel great underneath--I can tell the difference in the ride from the old. More supple.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #18

Ive seen a few posters saying Michelin says to change the tires at ten years. Is this true for the 11R-22.5 tires also or is this more of a LT type tire?
I have always heard 6 years...
Windecker
Old 01-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #19

njs42,

Call Equal and see if they have a newer version of the cores. You may have gotten an old batch.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #20

I hear comparisons between "over the road truck tires" and MH tires. When I owned a truck and trailer I was replacing all the tires (18) yearly. I was averaging between 130,000 and 150,000 miles a year. They did not sit like a MH. Yes they can be the same tires but service is far too different to compare the two.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Has anyone ever dismounted their tires to inspect, prior to deciding to replace one or all?
As our motorhome tires enter their fifth year I pay to have each tire dismounted and inspected inside and out every spring by a tire shop I trust. I can view what is happening but since I do not pretend to know tires I trust the "experts". Provided all continues to look good, all tires will be replaced by us at seven years.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #22

Quote:
A couple of of the big manufactures have recommended a five year service life for their tires....but they are in business to sell tires.
Who are they?
I have never seen this. Goodyear & Michelin both recommend yearly inspections for RV tires and replace at 10 years.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdbus View Post
Thanks all for sharing your tire experiences. Has anyone ever dismounted their tires to inspect, prior to deciding to replace one or all? An RV's use and the reasons our tires go out of service are different than OTR trucks, thanks Ken for paying attention to the original post. Let's just keep it experientially based and constructive, ok!
"Has anyone ever dismounted their tires to inspect"?

I'll bet it's happened. In fact several people on other threads have specifically said they do. Haven't you read the other threads on tires?

" the reasons our tires go out of service are different than OTR trucks"

Really? OTR trucks often have tires go out of service because of under inflation, and road hazards, potholes, debris and the like. Please explain in detail how RV tires don't suffer from underinflation and from road hazards.

One difference is age on RV tires which OTR's typically don't worry about UNLESS they are using recaps (probably not a very common thing as I seldom see 'alligators' on the highways) then they just might run into an age problem.

So I've dicussed OTR truck tire failures, Underinflation, Road Hazards, and Age. Please inform the group why those aren't problems for RV's. Again your quote says "An RV's use and the reasons our tires go out of service are different than OTR trucks" Thanks in advance Freebird for clearing this up for us.

Ken
Old 01-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
Who are they?
I have never seen this. Goodyear & Michelin both recommend yearly inspections for RV tires and replace at 10 years.
The employee at the Goodyear store that I went to to said this. I wanted them to dismount and inspect the tires. They said that they would dismount them and look, but because they were more than five years old they would not be responsible for any damage they may do to them dismounting or remounting them. The guy at the service desk told me that Goodyear recommends RV tires be replaced after five years, but like I said, they are also in the business to sell tires. I just want to make a good decision to replace them or not, based on the good information from the good people here who have more experience with older RV 22.5 tires than I do.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is my factual based experience----when my tires, Michelin XRV 235/80-22.5's, at ten years 44K, were removed and inspected by me and the installer they looked just great. But they were ten years old? So how much longer are they going to last---five years---or five yards? My strongest "hunch" mind you is that they had a lot more wear in them, but everything has a shelf life. Changing them at ten years met the manufacturer reccomendation and my personal sense of how much risk I was willing to accept.

I have never had tire problems in my RV and very few road hazard problems in vehicles of any stripe.

So I do this w/o regret---but I must admit some angst because they looked so good off the rig.

I can warrant that mine were always inflated properly, load weight checked, covered and cared for, no shiny goop to make them pretty---which I believe enhanced their life. During their 44K miles they were probably subjected to every road hazard a OTR tire was (driving the length of I-5 will do that) and evidently weathered the storm just fine. But they did not travel the miles in as short of time not by a long shot.

It would be easier if we all drove our RV's like we drive our cars and wear them out. I'm sure as a result there would be fewer tire failures in RV's (if properly loaded etc because the aging of the tire is relentless and must be recognized it is a factor in RV's.

I have seen, read, have in my possession, the reccomendation from Michelin regarding ten years---it follows a disclaimer that no one can say how long a tire is actually going to last. That disclaimer is probably the most factual thing that can be said of RV tires based on their "part time" usage.

The five year time frame---I disregard it as absolute because I have never seen it except in this forum and it does not make sense to me when I looked at my own tires---not anyone elses---just mine. However five years combined with what---cracks, drying, splitting---well maybe five years is the ticket----under those circumstances. Ten years and none of the above obvious insults to your tires then age is the most identifying factor. Does it add up to a slam dunk to replace---no, unless you happen to be me.

Another absolute with tires, any tire, has to be the older the tire the more prone to failure. It comes down to a personal decision base on what you know of your tires and their care, their obvious condition and age combined and the amount of risk you are willing to accept.

When you ask for an opinion from a tire "expert" the safe play will be to reccomend replacement or at least not be definative-----when my installer looked at me he said "well they look really good---but they are ten years old". So where did that get me? I installed new tires as I had planned.

At ten years it was fairly easy--it would have bothered me from a practical sense of getting full value from my tire to be doing this at five years---but circumstances might have warranted a change-----so perhaps we are each left with our own sense of risk, the circumstances, the condition of our tires and their age. I have a hunch manufacturers could even agree on that scenario. It's evasive enough.

Roll the dice and best of luck.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post

When you ask for an opinion from a tire "expert" the safe play will be to reccomend replacement or at least not be definative-----when my installer looked at me he said "well they look really good---but they are ten years old". So where did that get me? I installed new tires as I had planned.

At ten years it was fairly easy--it would have bothered me from a practical sense of getting full value from my tire to be doing this at five years---but circumstances might have warranted a change-----so perhaps we are each left with our own sense of risk, the circumstances, the condition of our tires and their age. I have a hunch manufacturers could even agree on that scenario. It's evasive enough.

Roll the dice and best of luck.
rjs42, Thank you so much for sharing your perspective and experience, it is valued and appreciated, and was along the lines of what I was looking for. I am sure that I will not be the only one who will benefit from you taking the time to share it.
Ken, I have read many of the treads here, and I also did a search and read what I could before asking for additional/updated information. OTR truck tires wear the tread out, most RVer's tires 'age' out. Either case places the tire out of service and warrants replacement. All tires are subject to hazard injuries. I am a little surprised that you could not figure that out, but that is why this forum exists, to help each other out with useful and helpful information. Safe travels!
Old 01-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdbus View Post
The employee at the Goodyear store that I went to to said this. I wanted them to dismount and inspect the tires. They said that they would dismount them and look, but because they were more than five years old they would not be responsible for any damage they may do to them dismounting or remounting them. The guy at the service desk told me that Goodyear recommends RV tires be replaced after five years, but like I said, they are also in the business to sell tires. I just want to make a good decision to replace them or not, based on the good information from the good people here who have more experience with older RV 22.5 tires than I do.
Of course they are desperate to sell tires. The GY store by me rarely has more the employee's cars in the parking lot.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #28
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
I am going to run my tires as long as they look good, up to 10 years,no cracks or bulges. You should look at the tread area make sure no cuts scrapes. Keep your air up to proper pressure. I am not going to dismount my tires and look inside ,if they look good on the outside and I have not hit anything I think you are asking for trouble If you dismount your tires every year, you are at more risk to damage the beads. I have been doing tires for 33 years and I am still in the tire business ,don't get me wrong I don't know everything. just my 2 cents

D M is offline   Reply With Quote