Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Somebody please define "tire expert" for me. Most of these guys changing these tires don't appear to have a whole lot of training other than how to change the tire, and that is more muscle than brain. Does this make them an "expert". Some of them have been on the job at least a week.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
njs42, I balance all 6 of my tires with Equal and had specal valve cores installed. If I recall right they are kind of a double seal affair which keeps the Equal from causing them to leak.

I did not have enough experence prior to installing the new tires with Equal to be able to notice any improvements in the ride, but I have had BB's in my 4x4 for years and hate weights on the rims, but that may just be a 4x4 thing.

Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I replaced mine (Michelin) at 8Ĺ years, never had a moments trouble but they were showing some minor cracking. I should have waited but I didn't want to get stuck during the spring update time and not be able to get the tires I needed so I did it about 4-6 months early, just as the fall "shutdown" started.
My batteries are new 9Ĺ years old and I had to replace the starting batteries yesterday, the house batteries are bulging too, so I'll start looking for new ones.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Somebody please define "tire expert" for me. Most of these guys changing these tires don't appear to have a whole lot of training other than how to change the tire, and that is more muscle than brain. Does this make them an "expert". Some of them have been on the job at least a week.
I took my MH to a local Les Schwab and asked for the tires to be inspected. All the "expert" did was circle the cracks I already knew where there and just point out they were cracked. No expertise there!
Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
So if tires should be replaced by 10 years, how many of you ask the tire store to show you the DOT Serial number of the new tire which reveals the mfg date? It's not uncommon for the tire to already be 2+ years old. Do we consider then those shelf years as lost life or only from the first day of mounting?
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
So if tires should be replaced by 10 years, how many of you ask the tire store to show you the DOT Serial number of the new tire which reveals the mfg date? It's not uncommon for the tire to already be 2+ years old. Do we consider then those shelf years as lost life or only from the first day of mounting?
Yes ask to see the date on the tires... I told the shop that did my tires I would not accept any that were more then 3 months old...

Age is age, sitting on the shelf or on a MH time passes...
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
Yes ask to see the date on the tires... I told the shop that did my tires I would not accept any that were more then 3 months old...

Age is age, sitting on the shelf or on a MH time passes...

Certainly rings true for me---I was pleasantly surprised when my new tires arrived that they were all of two weeks old--the salesman had called at my insistence to see how old my tires would be and they replied they will be made this week. I placed a gentleman's bet with the seller that it would not be true----you never know unless you ask. Baby tires just born---gets no better than that for me.

I insisted that they be "young" tires specifically because age is the issue---sitting still does not help a tire any more than any of us being motionless----it gets old---stiff and brittle---like me.

Gotta move to keep the juices flowing.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #36

Tyler, has hit it straight on. If you run your RV 100,000 miles a years it is not an issue. Most RVís never see 100,000 miles in their life, they sit and sit. On my Bus conversion I replaced the 8 tires on it and wanted a rebate for the old casings. They where 8 years old and no one would even take them let alone give me a retread allowance. A 5 years old tire can be retreaded and put on a semi-trailer because it will be worn out and thrown away in less than a year. Have none of you EVER seen a gator lying in the middle of the road? They weigh about 90lbs and can tear though your coach in a second as they come unwound off you rim. Not for me I have tried to push the years on my tires to 9 years. I have had two blowouts, Instant loss of air and control. Both times the tires looked to be in perfect condition with lots of tread, no sidewall checking and properly inflated. BAMMM gone!!!! I donít risk it anymore. Both times it cost me body damage.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Certainly rings true for me---I was pleasantly surprised when my new tires arrived that they were all of two weeks old--the salesman had called at my insistence to see how old my tires would be and they replied they will be made this week. I placed a gentleman's bet with the seller that it would not be true----you never know unless you ask. Baby tires just born---gets no better than that for me.

I insisted that they be "young" tires specifically because age is the issue---sitting still does not help a tire any more than any of us being motionless----it gets old---stiff and brittle---like me.

Gotta move to keep the juices flowing.
Yes, I too insist the tires have a recent DOD date - why wouldn't you want to receive new tires when you purchase new tires? I just tell them I'll check for fresh tires.
I'd also like to add that buying tires 2 at a time (every 3 to 4 years) ensures that you always have new tires on the steering wheels. When an old tire looks 'damaged or 'tired' I replace two at a time - new on the front.
OP asked for facts and personal experience dealing with tire age. For me (on my 2nd RV), this process ensures that only 2 tires that are at their age limit are on the motorhome at and one time (and the tires close to the age limit are on the rear and not steering wheels). This ensures that every 3 years the tires get pulled and inspected (due to install/rotating tires). I also use the Crossfire product to balance the pressure in the dually (P.S. I just started using Crossfire this year so I only have one year actual personal experience – this theory of providing even wear with the two different age tires looks good after 1 year). Add a TPMS to monitor for proper inflation (you only need 4 TPMS sensors with the Crossfire - 2 front and 2 back).
Having all 6 new tires sounds perfect for 5 years or so, but in 7 to 10 years you have 6 tires at their age limit and two of those are steering tires.
I keep the best as the spare - yes, a mounted spare. Does anyone else do this?
tomwalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
Tyler, has hit it straight on. If you run your RV 100,000 miles a years it is not an issue. Most RVís never see 100,000 miles in their life, they sit and sit. On my Bus conversion I replaced the 8 tires on it and wanted a rebate for the old casings. They where 8 years old and no one would even take them let alone give me a retread allowance. A 5 years old tire can be retreaded and put on a semi-trailer because it will be worn out and thrown away in less than a year. Have none of you EVER seen a gator lying in the middle of the road? They weigh about 90lbs and can tear though your coach in a second as they come unwound off you rim. Not for me I have tried to push the years on my tires to 9 years. I have had two blowouts, Instant loss of air and control. Both times the tires looked to be in perfect condition with lots of tread, no sidewall checking and properly inflated. BAMMM gone!!!! I donít risk it anymore. Both times it cost me body damage.
Sidewinder, sounds like you have valuable experience to share.
What kind (make/brand) of tires were these?
Where/how do you drive (desert, Northern, southern, do you park in one spot for months at a time)?
What can you attribute to these failures?
Old 01-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If I change the tires out at 5 years of age, my tire dealer will buy my tires back, paying me $150.00 per tire. He sells them to gravel haulers for their trailers.

If I wait to change the tires until they are 7 years old, then I am on my own. My old tires are worth nothing.

For me, that's added motivation to ride on new tires.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
And if you look closer you will see that 90% (or more) of the time they will have no cords in them, that means they were recaps that threw a tread.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Sidewinder, sounds like you have valuable experience to share.
What kind (make/brand) of tires were these?
Where/how do you drive (desert, Northern, southern, do you park in one spot for months at a time)?
What can you attribute to these failures?
Both of the tires that blew where Michelin. I am a fulltime Rver but I am North in the Summer and South in the Winter. No snow for me. I do sit form 3 to 4 months sometimes. The tires are covered with drapes every time I stop for more than a few days. Like most Rverís I am a little anal about checking and double checking everything before we hit the open highway, air pressure is always topped up to spec. The one blew when I was running around 55 mph in down town Chicago. Wow just what I needed with 8 lanes of traffic and you couldnít buy a break from the other drivers if you threw money out the window. But we got the rig off to the side. The next one blew about 1.5 years later. I had 4 different years of tires on the coach. When it blew I was doing about 25 mph and just left a campground about 2 miles down the road. When it went there were 3 young fellows riding their bikes along the sidewalk. They DOVE off their bikes and flattened to the ground. It sounded like someone shot a shotgun off and believe me they werenít taking any chances.
In both cases I inspected the tire and talked to the tire guy, he had nothing to offer but "OLD AGE". The side walls blew out on both tires, not a mark on the tire and they still had tonnes of tread left on them.
You donít HAVE to replace your tires after 6 years but you donít HAVE to stop when the fuel gauge reads empty ether. Just suit yourself.
Ron
Old 01-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Both of the tires that blew where Michelin. I am a fulltime Rver but I am North in the Summer and South in the Winter. No snow for me. I do sit form 3 to 4 months sometimes. The tires are covered with drapes every time I stop for more than a few days. Like most Rverís I am a little anal about checking and double checking everything before we hit the open highway, air pressure is always topped up to spec. The one blew when I was running around 55 mph in down town Chicago. Wow just what I needed with 8 lanes of traffic and you couldnít buy a break from the other drivers if you threw money out the window. But we got the rig off to the side. The next one blew about 1.5 years later. I had 4 different years of tires on the coach. When it blew I was doing about 25 mph and just left a campground about 2 miles down the road. When it went there were 3 young fellows riding their bikes along the sidewalk. They DOVE off their bikes and flattened to the ground. It sounded like someone shot a shotgun off and believe me they werenít taking any chances.
In both cases I inspected the tire and talked to the tire guy, he had nothing to offer but "OLD AGE". The side walls blew out on both tires, not a mark on the tire and they still had tonnes of tread left on them.
You donít HAVE to replace your tires after 6 years but you donít HAVE to stop when the fuel gauge reads empty ether. Just suit yourself.
Ron
Thank-you for the info. I'm always interested in what/what causes tires to blowout - Chicago, that's about as bad a place to have a blowout as it gets. I travel a lot, and knock on wood, have only had a few nail punctures (and I've had all kinds of tires). I drive a lot on the East coast, and about every 3 years take a trip out West (coast to coast) -Who knows. Thanks again for the info.