Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #1

Tire Age

I have seen numerous threads on here dealing with tire dates and age. I know that some tire manufactures recommend replacement at five years from the tire's build date. Tires and the cause of tire failure can be simple or very complex, and I was wondering if anyone here has used tires for eight or ten years or more (specifically 22.5 sizing). The reason that I ask, is the recapped tire industry's use of casings that are that old, and their putting a new tread on to replace the worn out one, and putting that eight to ten year old casing back into service. If a tire had usable tread depth, were dismounted and inspected, and shows no signs of damage or weather checking, why wouldn't the original-ally treaded tire be just as safe as a retreaded one? Please try to limit responses to facts and first hand experience, not conjecture or speculation. Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Freebird,

I have 10 year old 22.5 toyos on my coach now. I have them inspected every year and they continue to meet DOT sppecification for OTR use. I must tell you that I am meticulus about taking care of them, propoer inflation, checking for road damage, careful not to scuff them etc. Good enough for me.
just my .02
Luck,
Bob

Bigbluedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluedog55 View Post
Freebird,

I have 10 year old 22.5 toyos on my coach now. I have them inspected every year and they continue to meet DOT sppecification for OTR use

Luck,
Bob
10 years old... How are you able to determine they are road worthy? Visual will only point out glaring defect's. Why wait longer to replace them with what is on the line?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #4

We bought a used DSDP that had a good looking set of 8 to 10 yr old 22.5 Michelins on it. We put another 15k trouble free miles on them before replacing them.

The recappers around here(TX) will pay handsomely for any age carcous.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been RVing for 40+ years and have never replaced a tire before 10 years. Only had one blow out and that was my fault.
I have never heard of a manufacturer recomending replacement after only 5 years.
There is a world of difference between a recap and a rebuilt tire. Recap only replaces the tread, while rebuilt also replaces the sidewall.
Although I have never used them I believe that it would be wise to follow the same rules that govern trucks in that they are not to be used as steering tires.
I am also one that believes there is more damage done to tries by under inflation and lack of use (sitting in one place) Than age.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I have never heard of a manufacturer recomending replacement after only 5 years.
Although I have never used them I believe that it would be wise to follow the same rules that govern trucks in that they are not to be used as steering tires.
Thanks all for the great info!

A couple of of the big manufactures have recommended a five year service life for their tires....but they are in business to sell tires.

I know of one trucker who trusts a recap from the place he has used for years more than a new tire. He uses them in all positions. I think the Fed code about steer axles only applies to buses, and is a carry-over from the bias ply tire days and a time of poorer quality control and before builder codes were required to be on the tire.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #7

Most airliners we ride on have recaps
Old 01-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #8

I have a spare on my trailer that I bought in 1978. Also parked next to a Winnebago that the tires were so bad I wouldn't drive it of the lot and he's still going and that was a year and a half ago. Go Figure
Old 01-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
We replaced our Toyos (22.5) at 7 years with about ~70,000 miles on them. Looked great, but why take the chance.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Okay...20 years in the trucking industry has taught me a couple things about tires.

Re-treaders/re-builders do look at the date stamp. I have had good casings rejected because of age. If I remember correctly, somewhere around 10 years was the cut off.

Re-treaded tires IMHO are good for nothing but commercial trailers. If/when they do fail, they create a HUGE amount of damage to the vehicle. 50+ pounds of flinging rubber tears the heck out of whatever it hits at that speed. Yes, personal experience.

The 5 year thing:
In service heavy trucks tend to wear out tires between 90-120K miles. This tends to be one year of service. So any comparison to heavy trucks won't work for us.

In our situation there are 3 main reasons tires fail:

1. Under inflation. This overworks the side walls and creates heat.

2. Damage from road debris, potholes, improperly fixed puncture wound etc.

3. UV / Sun damage. More prevalent in Southern climates where more direct sun exposure is found.

Bottom line:

Tire life is not limited to a set number of years, but a compilation of condition over the life of the tire. If you take exceptional care of you tires, always keep them inflated, never hit a pothole and cover them the second you arrive...you will get longer life out of them. Lalala...none of us can guaranty this.

Personally, I have no issues with running them well over the 5 year mark. I do however take extra care to watch them closely.

I know some here will disagree with me, and that's fine. This is just my opinion based on 20 years and close to 2 million miles traveled.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #11

But Tyler, what does first hand experience and common sense have to do with it? I read on the internet where someone said that........

If you have questions about tires, stop at a truck stop and look at the dates on the tires you see there. Look and see which are recaps and which are new. Talk to the driver and see how many blowouts he has with the way he runs the tires. Ask him about the calibrated stick/rod/hammer he thumps his tires with to ensure he has exactly the psi he needs in each tire. Ask him which tire pressure monitoring system he uses. Ask him where he carries his spare tire at and how he plans to put it on if he gets a flat out in the middle of the desert on a Sunday night when the cell phones won't work and his load needs to be at the dock at 0800 the next morning.

All right, call me a skeptic, but I don't think tires come even close to rocket surgery. And brain science? I leave that to someone who wants to worry about what if's. I'm just living day to day enjoying the heck out of traveling in my RV.

Ken
Old 01-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #12

When I bought my Breeze, it had 15K on it and 8 year old Goodyear G670s that looked almost new. I waited until just before my camping season started and bought 6 new tires for the MH and 4 new tires for my 20' enclosed. I also installed a TST 507 TPMS. I am well aware of what a blow-out can do. I had enough of them on my 5er till I went to LT rated tires and got rid of all the ST tires.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post

All right, call me a skeptic, but I don't think

Ken
Thanks all for sharing your tire experiences. Has anyone ever dismounted their tires to inspect, prior to deciding to replace one or all? An RV's use and the reasons our tires go out of service are different than OTR trucks, thanks Ken for paying attention to the original post. Let's just keep it experientially based and constructive, ok!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Could somebody name a tire manufacturer who has a 5 year recommended replacement time? It sure isn't Michelin, who recommends 10 years in their RV tire service life TSB (subject to annual inspections after 5, though).

http://www.michelintruck.com/assets/...e_RV_Tires.pdf

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote