Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #15

I would replace them as well. I would not want to risk our lives or coach damage. Why not replace them and not worry about it on such a long trip. You know the first thing you are going to say if one blows out.

vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #16

Replacing the tires when the tread looks so good can be a hard decision. When we traded our 03 coach, the Good Year tires were seven years old. They looked good with no cracking yet. They had about 60,000 miles on them. It did not sit for long periods of time, which kept the oils moving I think contributed to them looking good. I was at the point of having to decide, but bought a new MH instead and it came with new tires. It can seem like an unnecessary expense, but a blown tire at 60 mph can be a much larger expense. How much is "Peace of Mind" worth?????

Old 01-06-2016, 12:54 PM   #17

Too many people replace perfectly good tires because it makes them feel better. Do what Michelin advises and start getting annual inspections by a reputable tire dealer. Spending a couple of bucks every year on inspections is money well spent. Also, do what Michelin says to do and not do in regards to normal maintenance such as washing them, keeping them out of the sun as much as possible, proper inflation, and how to store them.

If it will make you or your other half sleep better at night to have new rubber, then that should be a consideration. I've talked to people at the local Michelin plant about age and sidewall cracking and the net is that minor sidewall cracking may look bad, but has very little to do with tire failures.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #18

Blowout

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Too many people replace perfectly good tires because it makes them feel better. Do what Michelin advises and start getting annual inspections by a reputable tire dealer. Spending a couple of bucks every year on inspections is money well spent. Also, do what Michelin says to do and not do in regards to normal maintenance such as washing them, keeping them out of the sun as much as possible, proper inflation, and how to store them.

If it will make you or your other half sleep better at night to have new rubber, then that should be a consideration. I've talked to people at the local Michelin plant about age and sidewall cracking and the net is that minor sidewall cracking may look bad, but has very little to do with tire failures.
I have Goodyear. 6.5 years old and 32000 miles. Had a blowout last week due to sharp object and have to buy a new tire. Started to replace them all but they still look great. Just buying the one and having annual inspections. Would like to get another year on them before our Alaska trip.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Blowouts while no fun are not unmanageable as some would have you believe I've driven triple trailer commercial trucks for 26 years and had maybe 5 blowouts in over a million miles.And those were on recaps.
If a rear tire you will barely notice and be able to move off the road. If the front as long as you have both hands on the wheel and are paying attention ( I think this is where the MH driver gets in trouble, one handing the wheel, eating or drinking coffee etc when the blowout happens ) here will be a big pull to the blowout side but with power steering and no panic braking you can still be in control!
It is a big pain getting it and the damage fixed, but Its all covered by Insurance and not thousands out of your pocket , Right?
I'm in the, have proper inspections and if they check out ok run em camp. You can have a unseen blem in a new tire also ! Proper tire pressure and not overloading with proper care are the biggest things to worry about.
Only you can make the call
Old 01-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
Huh... why didn't I think of this?

So replacing just the steers makes a lot of sense. Use the best 6 for the drive/TAG axles and spread my tire replacement costs over subsequent years instead of shelling it out all at once. Gives me an excuse to align the front end and install balance beads, too!

Hellavan idea, IASM. Thanks
Yeah, many of us do it this way !

When the time comes to replace the tag tires, put the new tires on the steer axle, and have the 2 or 3yr old steer tires remounted on the tag axle rims.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #21

Tire age

Perspective:
My Michelins are large 295s. Out the door for 6 was $4700.
I think $56/month over 7 years is not too bad. Pretty much chump change compared to the time, rig damage, waiting for repairs, possible bodily injury, et al. It's 13 bucks per week! Some may spend that and more on junk food.
Cheaper tires at $3000 would be $35/month, if they last 7 years.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:50 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I would not waste the money having them dismounted and inspected. You will see the damage on the outside before it shows on the inside. The only damage that will show on the inside will be if it was run to low on pressure or punctured.

If you are uncomfortable with your six year old tires check out a couple truck tire shops and they may buy them as used tires or for casings.
I got $70.00 each for my nine year old 295 70 22.5 Goodyears last year and would have got more if they were younger.
I did buy the new set of Firestones from them.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:31 PM   #23

I now replace mine on their 5th birthday regardless of condition. My first coach had 7 yr old Goodyears on it that looked like new. The first trip had a left inner dual blow. Spent 5 hrs waiting for roadside assistance to arrive and 10 weeks and $12k to get the coach back in shape. So, I am in the replace 'em camp. Peace of mind is worth a bunch.

David, Heidi, M and Moose(the lab)
2011 Damon Astoria
Pulling an'09 Chevy CrewCab.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
wildtoad
I agree with much of what you said.... (with 2 exceptions):

1.) Not many competent tire shops will dismount and inspect 1 motor home tire for a "couple of bucks", (let alone the 6 or 8 tires on a motor home).
The one 9R22.5 tire I had dismounted and inspected at a Micelin tire dealer last June cost me $35.....(that would amount to $210 for 6...$280 for 8).

2.) Based on a visual inspection by an authorized Michelin tire dealer and the report and photos they sent to Michelin... Michelin Customer Care agreed that my 6 then 42 month old sidewall cracked XZE tires were no longer safe to use... (and that they had to be replaced).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #25

And which mechanic will risk inspecting your tires and declaring them "fit" if he has any doubts....
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Keep in mind that with a rear blowout it's not JUST a matter of keeping the rig on the road, but what damage those spinning chunks of rubber do to the coach before you can get it pulled over to the side of the road.

Also, back when I drove a dump truck for a living, a coworker had a rear blowout - that tire's mate blew immediately after because it couldn't handle the extra load (naturally this happened on a full truck). The trucks we drove had two rear axles (both with duals) so he still had control to bring it to the side of the road - but boy was he pale and sweaty when he stepped out of the truck!

Basically I agree with the idea of changing the steer tires first, but just wanted to point out that there could be other factors involved with a rear blowout.
Excellent points, and I completely understand and agree. I didn't intend to make it sound like a rear-tire blowout would be a cakewalk but it's got to be easier than a steer-wheel blowout, which puts the safety emphasis on the fronts.

I wouldn't put junk tires on the rear just to save a few bucks, but I don't want to waste all the good tires I already have either. I think we all agree splitting the difference by replacing just the fronts is a viable option.... I can live with wasting a few years of their usable lifespan, just don't want to do it x8

Thanks for the info!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:29 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe

So replacing just the steers makes a lot of sense. Use the best 6 for the drive/TAG axles and spread my tire replacement costs over subsequent years instead of shelling it out all at once. Gives me an excuse to align the front end and install balance beads, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
When the time comes to replace the tag tires, put the new tires on the steer axle, and have the 2 or 3yr old steer tires remounted on the tag axle rims.
To clarify, my tires are going to be six years old this year, but they're in excellent condition - I think: I'll have that confirmed when I replace the steers. I'll have them pull all the tires, inspect inside and out and rotated.

At six years old in this condition, I think I can safely get another 1-3 years out of them.... especially with new steers on board. It's not much, but it helps spread the costs out and makes it much easier to convince my wife... uh, I mean... my money manager that it needs to be done

Old 01-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
And which mechanic will risk inspecting your tires and declaring them "fit" if he has any doubts....
YES. This, and not only would them signing off on your tires put them at some risk down the line if something bad happens, but it's in their best interest to fail your tires and sell you new ones, regardless of their actual condition.

Is "reputable tire dealer" an oxymoron?