RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2017, 07:24 AM   #29

I talked with Michlin, they told me on the phone to have tires inspected at 5 years, if AOK replace at 10 years. I keep the tires clean and covered. Drive about 5K per year. They were installed 2011 and look great. Will go for the 10 year replacement.

05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #30

Old tires: X Green 275/80R 22.5 XZA3+ Load Range H;
New tires: X Green 275/80R 22.5 X Line Energy Z Load Range H

Trans. Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #31

Caution on load range. After weighing my front axle at 12,200 # the load range H was the better choice instead of the load range G which would require max air pressure for the tire load capacity.
Trans. Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:03 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans. Cajun View Post
Caution on load range. After weighing my front axle at 12,200 # the load range H was the better choice instead of the load range G which would require max air pressure for the tire load capacity.
There is the name of the game .. most don't want to fork out more cash. Lower cost tires more psi. 👍 Bang bang down the road. Mine came with Es I put on Gs
65psi freeway ride is sweet. To add to this point Gs had less side wall flex also. Witch was noticeable in front . The Es I started with were michelins.

Itasca66

GS and supersteer springs in front fixed all my handeling issues.. 12,300 lb rig . 4000 lbs in front . In my case the air bags in front had to go.
Itasca66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:55 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshoby View Post
Hi everyone, just a heads up to both buyers and sellers regarding tires. I was under the impression that most RV'ers considered 7 years to be max age for tires but I visited with an RV dealership owner on Saturday and he said they, insiders, use 5 years on 22.5 tires! When a unit is sold or consigned with them they stress 5 years as max! Whether buying or selling keep that in mind. He discribed the damage he has seen from blowouts and firmly believes in replacing 22.5" tires at 5 years from date code on the tire. Stating 80% tread left means nothing in his opinion, go by date of manufacture. Just reporting an informed persons opinion, please keep the negative opinions to yourself! Thanks, Dave
Unless you know why a tire failed, it tells nothing. A tire made today and in good physical condition rarely just fails on its own.
Low air pressure, either over time or relatively suddenly or hitting major road debris is the major culprit. And a brand new tire is just as susceptible.
RV salespeople are clueless as to why any particular tire failed. How could they?
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Unless you know why a tire failed, it tells nothing. A tire made today and in good physical condition rarely just fails on its own.
Low air pressure, either over time or relatively suddenly or hitting major road debris is the major culprit. And a brand new tire is just as susceptible.
RV salespeople are clueless as to why any particular tire failed. How could they?
agree with you on this, they say 5 years because if they sell anything with more then 5 years the buyer has no time to decide where to change. if they believe that 5 years is the limit then they should not accept anything with over 4 years.
truck drivers use our used RV tires for years with no issues.
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #35

I spoke to a Michelin eng last year about tire life, i was told to have the tires inspected at 5 years and if ok to replace at 10 years baring tread wear or hazard damage. Works for me!!!!
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Q View Post
I spoke to a Michelin eng last year about tire life, i was told to have the tires inspected at 5 years and if ok to replace at 10 years baring tread wear or hazard damage. Works for me!!!!
What most people call a blowout is caused by low air pressure and the resultant heat and tire bead separation from the wheel which makes for quick deflation.
A well working TPMS at least keeps you aware of tire pressure in real time which can make a real difference in preventing a "blowout".
Old 06-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshoby View Post
Hi everyone, just a heads up to both buyers and sellers regarding tires. I was under the impression that most RV'ers considered 7 years to be max age for tires but I visited with an RV dealership owner on Saturday and he said they, insiders, use 5 years on 22.5 tires! When a unit is sold or consigned with them they stress 5 years as max! Whether buying or selling keep that in mind. He discribed the damage he has seen from blowouts and firmly believes in replacing 22.5" tires at 5 years from date code on the tire. Stating 80% tread left means nothing in his opinion, go by date of manufacture. Just reporting an informed persons opinion, please keep the negative opinions to yourself! Thanks, Dave

Daveshoby: What the dealer told you is the truth. Tires usually after five years will start getting sun rot or checking on the side walls. Blowouts can cause a lot of damage which could run into the thousands of dollars. But I still read some posts here claiming they go ten years. LOL! That is insane!
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #38

Mine last longer. Last RV had 15 year old tires. Around $25k miles. Otherwise looked like new.
Stored indoors and kept at proper pressure which matters. So don't say 5-7 years across the board. It ain't true.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Q View Post
I talked with Michlin, they told me on the phone to have tires inspected at 5 years, if AOK replace at 10 years. I keep the tires clean and covered. Drive about 5K per year. They were installed 2011 and look great. Will go for the 10 year replacement.
I tried that with our '02 DSDP. Took it to a Les Schwab and asked for them to inspect the tires. Kid came out, looked at a couple of the tires and said "Yep, they're cracked" and walked away!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
Daveshoby: What the dealer told you is the truth. Tires usually after five years will start getting sun rot or checking on the side walls. Blowouts can cause a lot of damage which could run into the thousands of dollars. But I still read some posts here claiming they go ten years. LOL! That is insane!
insane is generalising all tires. If you use your tire properly and maintain them well pressure covered and protected they will last longer. If you run with incorrect pressure let them sit on the hot desert sun baking for months deforming they will not last 2 years. explain that. Trucks run tires untill they dissapear and what is the difference.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
insane is generalising all tires. If you use your tire properly and maintain them well pressure covered and protected they will last longer. If you run with incorrect pressure let them sit on the hot desert sun baking for months deforming they will not last 2 years. explain that. Trucks run tires untill they dissapear and what is the difference.

The difference is that truck tires are rolling most of the time and the chemical reaction in the rubber keeps them in good condition. Motor homes set for long periods at a time. That is the difference. Also heavy duty trucks use a higher rated tire then what most RV's use.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:16 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
The difference is that truck tires are rolling most of the time and the chemical reaction in the rubber keeps them in good condition. Motor homes set for long periods at a time. That is the difference. Also heavy duty trucks use a higher rated tire then what most RV's use.

That is exactly what I said. If you use your tires properly making sure they do not sit for long periods, are properly inflated. Then you are doing the same as they do. Most of the tires used in RV these days are truck tires. Toyo , Yokohamas, sumitomos, Dunlop, Hankook, etc, etc, etc.
Now why should we live in fear, when we can use technology to help us. TPMS, tire covers, uv blockers all cost much less the RV tires and you can change them in shorter intervals because they cost less. Now if you own a RV that cost 750,000.00 then you can change tires every 3 years. Not my case