Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 08:28 AM   #1

Tire Balance Advice?

6 new Toyo 245/70 19.5 tires with balance beads on my MH. We've put about 500 miles on them so far, and they run very smooth, except at 45 mph. They are fine at every other speed, including 44 and 46 mph. No vibration in steering wheel ever, so I suspect it is one of the duals, but only at 45 mph, and this is a light vibration. Road conditions do not change anything. Inflated to 85 psi, 20,500 F 53 chassis, weighed 19,300# loaded, under GAWR on both axles.

I'm thinking of living with it instead of giving the tire dealer a chance to make it worse. Thoughts?
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #2

My opinion, go to a heavy truck tire shop, with the proper equipment, and get a real tire balance.
That takes the guessing out of the equation.

Beads are a cheap workaround for proper balancing and will hide tread seperation, later down the road. As the tire falls apart, the beads will rebalance it and hide the shake, until it totally fails.

Been there done that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #3

Think I'd also have them tape the two tires that are running together.....by that, I mean take their tire measuring tape and check both tires to make sure they're the same size, not by just what's moulded into the tires
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:23 AM   #4

Sounds like more of a harmonic imbalance of the driveline, but unusual that it would be at such a limited range. I have had it on a Jeep, however, it was over a 3-4 mph range.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #5

Well,
A couple of points here. One, although tire manufacturing has improved over the years, the potential for making a tire "out of round" is definitely still there. It's not a very common occurrence but, it still has the potential. There is a cure for an out-of-round tire. It's called "Shaving" or, "Truing". For those that are not familiar, it's simple. The tire (and wheel) is spun, preferably on one of the front spindles (rear won't really work due to very limited work space and, you're dealing with a second tire right next to the one you're working with).

A machine, like the old On-the-car spin balancing machine, spins the tire to basically road speed. Then, a very, VERY SHARP disc, held on another section of the machine, is manuvered by hand, with its very sharp edge, traveling across the tires treads. It is done ever so slightly so as not to gouge the tire. All you're doing is SLICING off the high spots of the out-of-round tire off, little by little until, just like a lathe, as soon as the sharp disc is touching ALL THE WAY AROUND THE TIRE, then the process is now finished. You now have a PERFECTLY ROUND TIRE.

I have had this process done many times and, without a doubt, it makes one heck of a difference in each and every instance. A really good benefit is, you don't need nearly as much weight to balance the tire after this process is complete.

But, the hard part, TRYING TO FIND a company/tire shop that still does this process.

Anyway, that's just a suggestion. Just exactly WHAT constitutes an out-of-round tire? Well, it's normally one that is showing at or above .060 or more runout. And I think that's a matter of opinion from the tire wizards out there. I just know that when you experience the serious difference, you'll think "Why doesn't this process happen more often"?

Second, I'm not a real fan of balancing beads. I have them right now in my newer set of 265 75 22.5" Yokohama RY-103s I recently installed on our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. So far, I've got mixed emotions about that process. I'm an old school dude on this. I'd actually prefer the old LEAD weights. But, I'm TRYING to venture into the 21st century.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #6

My guess is it isn't the tires at all. I would look at the driveline or transmission. Many Ford transmissions including the 5R110W are known to have a shudder or slight vibration during mild load conditions in the 45-50MPH range. Many suspect this is caused by the torque converter lock up. You may have never felt it before because it was being masked by the worn tires you had before installing the new ones.

I have Toyo's with balance beads on both of my coaches. I'm very impressed with how smooth the tires are at all speeds.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I use and recommend beads. With weights, your tire is in balance when balancing is complete, and has to be rebalanced with wear and stones and thrown weights and such. With beads, and the discs, your tire stays in balance throughout its life. If you get a tread delamination, no amount of balancing will hide it; beads, discs or weights.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
My opinion, go to a heavy truck tire shop, with the proper equipment, and get a real tire balance.
That takes the guessing out of the equation.

Beads are a cheap workaround for proper balancing and will hide tread seperation, later down the road. As the tire falls apart, the beads will rebalance it and hide the shake, until it totally fails.

Been there done that.
That's the best advice! Don't let anyone take shortcuts (beads). Verify alignment and have the shop check/correct axial and radial runout on the tires during the balance - you'll be safer and happier and the tires will last longer.

Thanks for promoting proper maintenance twinboat!
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice