Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #29
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I installed and balanced tires for many years when I was younger. I was a HUGE believer in spin balancing and spun balance every tire I bought. A few years ago I tried beads I the front tires of my Diplomat. They worked really well and changed my mind about using beads.

With that said, I would still spin balance my passenger car tires because they are more precisely built, often use little weight and don't have large hubs, brakes and rims that can cause some out of balance issues, like RVs. You also typically change out passenger car tires more often.

My choice for balancing RV tires would be Centramatics first and beads second. Centramatics are expensive and the ONLY reason to not use them would be a budget issue. To say someone told you they were no good, makes you look foolish or cheap if that was your only research.

Personally, I think balancing beads are the BEST choice for the majority of RVers. If you're really persnickety, go with the Centramatics. They balance the entire wheel, brake and hub assembly from a more central position than the beads.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 08:39 PM   #30

I had the tire balancing beads installed in my six new Cooper Tires and drove it for the first time today. The first ten or so miles, I was almost beaten to death. It felt like I was driving on square tires. I was getting ready to turn around and take it back to Tires Etc, when it seemed to smooth out. Is this normal for tire balancing beads? Does it take that long for them to balance out? I hope it doesn't do that every time I take her out.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #31

Sometimes they throw in the beads, bag and all.

I guess they rip it open first.

When I had my tires changed the bags with a bunch of beads in it, were still in the tire.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:59 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My tires were done in Bullhead City and I watched the tech tear open the bags and dump the contents in. He then wadded up the empty plastic bag and threw it in the garbage.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:28 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
My tires were done in Bullhead City and I watched the tech tear open the bags and dump the contents in. He then wadded up the empty plastic bag and threw it in the garbage.
So ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:50 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post

I had the tire balancing beads installed in my six new Cooper Tires and drove it for the first time today. The first ten or so miles, I was almost beaten to death. It felt like I was driving on square tires. I was getting ready to turn around and take it back to Tires Etc, when it seemed to smooth out. Is this normal for tire balancing beads? Does it take that long for them to balance out? I hope it doesn't do that every time I take her out.

Nope, the beads should be fully distributed by the time you reach about 25-35 mph. Sounds like you got knock-offs versus the real McCoy from Innovative Balancing.

Chances are the installer had gotten moisture inside the tire during installation which will cause the beads to clump together.

From the FAQ's of Innovative Balancing web site.

The balancing principle is based on centrifugal force, and enough force is developed to keep the beads in position at approximately 25 - 35 MPH, but the exact speed is dependent upon tire diameter.

This illustrates How They Work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Sometimes they throw in the beads, bag and all.

I guess they rip it open first.

When I had my tires changed the bags with a bunch of beads in it, were still in the tire.
The recommended procedure for AUTHENTIC Dyna Beads is to slip off the clasps holding the bag closed and place it into the tire, NOT rip it open.

Here is a bag as you received it from Innovatiove Balancing.

Pull the bag gently while removing the bag clip.

Make sure the bag clip pieces are discarded, and press the tape seal between your thumb and forefinger before installation.

Notice the first bead has been placed over the rim, the top of the tire pulled up and the EZ Open Bag™ inserted upright against the inner sidewall opposite the valve stem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post

Most likely the beads they were selling were knock-offs and not the real McCoy otherwise the tech would have followed the instructions above.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:08 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Nope, the beads should be fully distributed by the time you reach about 25-35 mph. Sounds like you got knock-offs versus the real McCoy from Innovative Balancing.

Chances are the installer had gotten moisture inside the tire during installation which will cause the beads to clump together.

From the FAQ's of Innovative Balancing web site.

The balancing principle is based on centrifugal force, and enough force is developed to keep the beads in position at approximately 25 - 35 MPH, but the exact speed is dependent upon tire diameter.

This illustrates How They Work.

The recommended procedure for AUTHENTIC Dyna Beads is to slip off the clasps holding the bag closed and place it into the tire, NOT rip it open.

Here is a bag as you received it from Innovatiove Balancing.

Pull the bag gently while removing the bag clip.

Make sure the bag clip pieces are discarded, and press the tape seal between your thumb and forefinger before installation.

Notice the first bead has been placed over the rim, the top of the tire pulled up and the EZ Open Bag™ inserted upright against the inner sidewall opposite the valve stem.

Most likely the beads they were selling were knock-offs and not the real McCoy otherwise the tech would have followed the instructions above.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard, I am just the driver. The tech was doing tires for an 18 wheeler at the time he stopped to install mine for us. He had done the same for the wheels he was mounting for the big guys so to me he did it the way it was supposed to. I do know that the front tires ride way more smoothly after the installation of the two tires with added beads. I will let you know if things change.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote