Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tire balancing beads

I was going to purchase a new set of tires for my motorhome. Has anyone used tire balancing beads or powder to balance their tires?
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I haven't ...and from what I have read from many who have, I don't plan to. Search for some of the past threads on the subject ... Equal would be one search word to use.

IF you do decide to use powder, make sure they also install the required screened valve stems to prevent the powder from getting into the valves and causing leaks.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I have use dynabeads for over two years and 15000 miles with no problems to date. I will use them in the next set of tires as I feel they work.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't use Equal. It turns to powder and plugs up the valve stems. Long term, it's not worth the trouble. Now, Dynabeads - that's a different story. There's small beads, and large ones. You want the large ones. They come in a package, all you do is open it, and dump it into the tire when it's being installed onto the rim. The large beads are no problem with any valve stems, they do not deteriorate, and are unaffected by moisture.

I have had tires statically balanced, spin balanced, and I have used Dynabeads. I now used Dynabeads exclusively. Nothing keeps the tires in perfect rotational balance for the life of the tire like Dynabeads. The tire changes as it wears. Dynabeads compensate for that and keep the tire in perfect balance.

When you use Dynabeads, it rolls s-m-o-o-t-h. If you're installing new tires, don't let the installer persuade you that the rear tires don't need Dynabeads. I made that mistake once. The rear tires not balanced on a heavy truck might not be noticed, but it sure will be on your coach!

I'm pretty sure that if you type in Dynabeads, you'll find their website.

Jim Sanderson
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just make sure you know what you are getting and in the right amount and that you deal with a reputable dealer that knows what they are doing.

Make sure they check the runout on the tires before installing. Beads can't correct a bad tire.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If your tire installer isn't familiar with Dynabeads, you can check with Dynabeads.com. They can supply you with the right size packages of beads for the tires you are changing. Just hand them to your installer to put in.

Jim Sanderson
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had Equal installed in mine almost two years and 19,000 miles ago w/proper valve stem. No problems and the coach rides great.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I investigated Equal in 2005 when we put new tires on and decided to use it. We've had the tires on since then and 30K+ miles and no problems.....run smooth as silk and no problems with the valve stems. They did install the screens in the stems.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #9

I have had Equal put into new tires on two separate motorhomes. Ended up having it taken out and balanced with weights both times. Also had to have the tires trued. Doesn't seem like anyone can make a round tire anymore. Truing really helps, though. I will never have any balancing beads put in tires again. Just my personal experience. Also had a gas motorhome with steel wheels that were out-of-round as well. Chassis manufacturer actually replaced them with alloy after almost 18 months of trying to get the shakes out of the MH.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #10

I just bought a new set (6 ea) of Toyo's for my MH. Part of the quote was for mounting and balancing, turns out their idea of balancing was to install the beads. While I'm not against the idea, I assumed a more traditional balancing approach. At least they only charged me $19.88 per wheel to put the bag in and no mounting fee. Most of the other shops wanted 25 to 30 bucks to mount and an additional 25 to 30 to balance!!! The concept is sound, we'll see how it works in the long run, haven't been on the highway yet, time will tell.

BTW, they used this brand, click this link: Counteract Balancing Beads for more details
Phaetonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #11

We had new tires installed in 2006, balanced with Equal on all 6, now have almost 50,000 miles on these tires with no problems, still rolling smooth. The correct valve stems have the filters and I check tire pressure before every trip with no problems.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Equal with the screened valve stem core used in our OTR fleet for years without problems.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote