Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
I thought that balancing was to true up the tire and the rim, not jut the tire?
I'm not convinced that factory-new tires are balanced as is. I paid the $$ to balance my new Michelins. All 6 wheels have some balance weights on them. Some for the wheel--some for the tire? Who knows? But I never noticed any unbalance from the previous set in 35k miles and 7 years, and I didn't rotate or rebalance.

I would have tried beads, but the dealer only offered powder, and I didn't want to take the time and expense (more than spin balance) to order them.
Has anyone had experience with the bolt on hula hoop-like rings that are filled with fluid and weights? I saw some on display at Speedco.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I am a BIG FAN of spin balancing and lead weights.

But when I bought new rear tires this past spring, my nieghbor / local truck tire dealer had gotten rid of his balancing machine and switched to equal.
So I did that.

No difference in ride that I can tell.

I asked for the "special valve stems", and they tried them, but for some reason they didn't work with my tst pressure sensors. I ended up going back to regular stems, and doing some careful juggling to make sure the TST system worked right.

One thing worth mentioning... If you have a TPMS, the sensors hold your tire valves open all the time. The sensor, and it's sealing o ring, are the only thing keeping the air in your tires.

I fought this concept long and hard, believing that checking pressure daily was better than a system which by definition defeating the tire valve...

But when we got the DP, I went with a pressure monitoring system, and (knock on wood) it has proven itself 100% trouble free, and it has warned me of a tire going down before a catastrophic event, and under conditions that my previous habit of checking pressure at every stop would not have found.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #17

I'm a big fan of beads as they are a true dynamic balance -- that is, they continually correct for any issues not just in the tire, but anything induced by the suspension or coach itself.

Other than the (fairly small) cost, there's no drawback to DynaBeads that I am aware of.

Steve
Old 08-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go
I'm not convinced that factory-new tires are balanced as is. I paid the $$ to balance my new Michelins. All 6 wheels have some balance weights on them. Some for the wheel--some for the tire? Who knows? But I never noticed any unbalance from the previous set in 35k miles and 7 years, and I didn't rotate or rebalance.

I would have tried beads, but the dealer only offered powder, and I didn't want to take the time and expense (more than spin balance) to order them.
Has anyone had experience with the bolt on hula hoop-like rings that are filled with fluid and weights? I saw some on display at Speedco.
I have Centramatics (the bolt on rings) on the Jeep. The oversized tires can slip on the rim when aired down for off-roading, tires can loose chunks from rock cuts, metal weights get knocked off, etc. So when you get back on the highway the Centramatics automatically compensate. And unlike beads or powder they are not lost should you lose a bead and the tire comes loose of the rim.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
They are very fancy. I have four on my 22 inch rims. I got those because there is more surface for them to grab my rims. The little sticky tape weights did not cut it. The will work the same on your RV rims. Plus the weights usually go on the inside of the rim vice on the outside. If you have wheel simulators that will help with fit.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #20

Hula Hoop Things

The brand name is Centramtic. They work like the beads and powder. They have holes that match the bolt pattern for your rim. You put them on and then the rim. They never wear out. The valve core never leaks. You can take them with you to your next motorhome. We installed them on both steer tires and rear axles on our semi trucks, and the trailers. We liked them and felt that we got excellent tire wear. We also spent money on aligning all the axles, checking wheel bearings, shocks, and maintaining proper tire pressures. That attention to detail will get you 175,000 to 200,000 miles on a set of tires, that haul 80,000 lbs day in and day out.
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
The Michelin truck tire manufacturing plant is basically in my back yard here and I know several guys working there. One guy I know is an engineer there and I talked to him one day about tire balancing. He told me that the tires built today are basically balanced when they leave the factory. Truck tires spin at about half the rpm that your car tires do. So you pay $25 to have your MH tire balanced, you drive out onto the street and pick up a stone in the tread of your tire...there goes your balance. He told me to install my new Michelins and then decide if I need them balanced. That is exactly what I did and at 60 mph they drive as smooth as silk.
My rig (2004 Phaeton) was equipped with Michelins from the factory with adhesive weights on aluminum rims. They lasted about a year and then started flying off on hot days traveling down hot highways. I then went to the internal balancing and it served me well.

Two years ago I replaced all six tires with new Michelin's that the dealer said would not require balancing. Being a natural born skeptic I was well, skeptical but time has proven him to be correct. Since the new tires were installed we have been to the west coast as well as the east coast (our home is in Alabama) and a couple of trips to south Florida accumulating about 14,000 miles without a shimmy.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith45 View Post
I am on my 2nd set of Michelins. I used Equal in both sets of tires. No problems and smooth ride. My dealer did use the special valve cores.

Chuck
That's my experience also.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
One big problem with external weights is the corrosion induced on aluminum rims where ever the weights are attached. This may only be a problem in the northern climes where salt is used on the roads. It did cost me a set of rims on my old 99 Denali, so I have switched all my vehicles over to beads.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #24

I had installed the "powder" and they needed the "special" cores which contain a screen to prevent valves from sticking. To date am very happy with mine. Rides nice n smooth.

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #25

Anyone ever try 'Ride-on'?

The product has 2 purposes, it balances the wheel and it seals small punctures. I had used it on my Can Am Spyder motorcycle and it worked very well but I'm new to the TT game so I can't say for sure. Good luck.
SaltyoftheAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I put Equal in my 22.5" tires by their chart for oz to use in front & rear 7 years ago. Has worked good with my Pressure Pro sensors. Along with the special valve cords(required).
IMI | AirX Filtered Valve Core eliminates dirt, particles, debris

Or use a Special Valve Stem Extension
IMI | Valve Stem Extensions protect core, prevent tire air loss
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote