Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2014, 05:46 AM   #15

It would not be unsafe to air a tire until it popped (after which caging it for full inflation)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 06:16 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
It would not be unsafe to air a tire until it popped (after which caging it for full inflation)
I have to side with cwit here, I think what you ask is unsafe and in violation of most shops procedures, the "pop" is the tire beading up, if there is an issue with the bead wire it is at that point that I would think you would be in danger of being harmed by the tire. Maybe ok if using remote fill process and standing well clear of the tire, but for the life of me, having spent several years managing a tire shop, I do not see the point of this method.

Any explanation? Just because he did it that way and you did not end up with out of round tires, does not make it cause and effect.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
I have to side with cwit here, I think what you ask is unsafe and in violation of most shops procedures, the "pop" is the tire beading up, if there is an issue with the bead wire it is at that point that I would think you would be in danger of being harmed by the tire. Maybe ok if using remote fill process and standing well clear of the tire, but for the life of me, having spent several years managing a tire shop, I do not see the point of this method.

Any explanation? Just because he did it that way and you did not end up with out of round tires, does not make it cause and effect.
This came from my tire man, he told me that having the tire horizontal, and airing it till the bead set, made sure it set evenly on the rim, and when you stand it up, it might bead properly, might not? He had been doing it a long time, so I just knew I never had a tire that was not on the rim straight with this process? And I had tires aired up the other way, and had balance problems! So be it what it is? Also my Front end guy that is second gen. did it the same way? And he would spin balance the tire on the truck, so he balanced the whole wheel, drum, everything that turned! Both of these guys were from Central Illinois, so may it was just the way they were taught! But it always worked very well for me! That is just so the tire sets on the bead correctly! Nothing to do with a out of round tire! A tire that is out of round is just that, does not matter if it is on the bead correctly or not! When they spin a tire around, to help it balance, that is another thing I do not understand? It has a dot on it showing where to put the valve stem? So why do they do that? It just tells me that the tire has a problem, and should not be accepted. JMHO.
guardrail53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit View Post
DOT says you must cage a truck tire when blowing up. What you want done is against the law and unsafe.
I think this law applies to "split" rims, which are no longer in general use.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
I don't think think DOT has any say...maybe OSHA? But seating the beads with the tire laying down is how it's done. A tubeless ".5" tire can seat unevenly if it even takes air standing up. Once the bead is seated it should be caged. The tire bead being uneven will translate to the tread being uneven also. "Former Tire Guy",
SuperSteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
I was blown away when the truck tire place told me they never balance truck tires. Say what?! nope. They threw equal in my fronts and no balance in the rear. I have to say I haven't noticed any vibration.
They never balance the duals, because they can't. I put dynamic balancers on all my wheels and am much happier with the level of noise and vibration, but it could be the new tires.

Bamaboy473 said: "I went with Samson tires because they were inexpensive (zero advertising to cover)". I have no opinion on Samson tires, but the idea that not paying for advertising results in a lower product price is pure fantasy. Failure to market a product means lower sales, which means higher cost to manufacture, and smaller production to absorb research and design costs.

Much more likely that the low cost comes from NOT having design or research, from paying low wages, and other traditional cost reduction measures.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #21

Commercial Member

RE ride problem and "Balance vs Out of Round

It is possible to spin balance a cinder block to 0 un-balance but the block is still not round.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post

Much more likely that the low cost comes from NOT having design or research, from paying low wages, and other traditional cost reduction measures.

I'm a consumer, not a tire engineer, but Samson has been made for many years by a company in Isreal. Their moving to China doesn't toss manufacturing into the bucket. If I have a bad tire, so be it, but what if it's the installer's problem?

What I want to understand is how an installer can supposedly spin-balance tires to proper spec, then when they check the tires....they have to do it all over again. What (or who) went sideways?

IMO, if a tire couldn't be spin balanced, wouldn't the installer be best served by telling me right away?
Old 10-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I think this law applies to "split" rims, which are no longer in general use.
I have a trailer with split rims. I only know of one person that will put new tires on it and they put it in a cage with a remote valve to air it up. there is not a lot of danger in airing up non split rims. I am sure everyone knows stories and I know someone that actually had a problem but he was doing split rims and was leaning over the tire when he aired it up. (40 years ago) Split rims have a ring that if not seated right when aired up the ring can fly out like shrapnel. What is there on a tire to fly out and be dangerous when seating the bead. As far as seating the bead. Do you really believe that it has to be laying on its back or at an angle of the cosine of 22.79 degrees to seat it correctly ? I had an idiot that did not know the freightliner cap over the lugnuts on the drivers side had lefthanded threads on it. He could not get the cap off and could not get to the lugnuts. The tire had a slow leak in it so he just took the tire off (outside tire) with it on the MH cleaned and wire brushed the rim and put it back on. Tire has been holding air for over a year.

Bottom line I would not worry about how they mounted it. If it does not seat properly it will lose air. I do not have my tires balanced because i have centramatic rings on each tire.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
Here the regs that the tire guys are supposed to follow so that they aren't killed or maimed on the job. Smart employers will enforce them.

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/wh...rt-booklet.pdf
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
I have often heard that people lower their air pressure as this seems to be the only way they get a better ride. This is SO dangerous and a recipe for tire blowout. That being said, I have come across many RV front tires inflated to 110 lbs and greater. Check your weight and tire manufacture recommendations. You may well find that 95 lbs is the proper inflation for your front tires. That will improve the ride.
bobkathy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
Here the regs that the tire guys are supposed to follow so that they aren't killed or maimed on the job. Smart employers will enforce them.

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/wh...rt-booklet.pdf
OHHH MAAAAAN!!!!! You're taking all the fun out. Using FACTS instead of rumors, opinions, and "always done it that way" reasoning!

Seriously, U Da Man!

(but just wait, someone will chime in and say "just because OSHA says so, don't make it right" Just wait, some one will.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am not going to be the one that says OSHA regulations should not be followed. They are the safest way to do it. I have seen very few shops that use them. I noticed that they say to use a quick inflate tank such as a cheetah to initially seat the beads. I have never seen that done as a standard practice. Usually the shops that have them only use them on tires they cannot get to seat any other way. But the OSHA rules are the safest way to do it.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:22 AM   #28

There's the right way, the wrong way, and the gubmint way....

There are those that follow all rules religiously, those that break all the rules they can, and those that adhere to rules if they make sense. (most do)

No way on God's green earth that seating a tire on a rim will cause explosion. No way. Once seated, the amount of air pressure is barely higher than atmospheric pressure.