Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2014, 07:32 AM   #1

Tire BALANCING question

I replaced all six tires this summer and the steer wheels have been balanced twice, and need to go back again. It's still a lumpy ride, and I'm a bit frustrated at the shop, because they do truck tires alot, and (supposedly) spin balance tires.

While doing other things to the MH, I extended the front jacks enough that the front tires came off the ground. AHA! maybe I could check them. Here's what I found.

LF seems just fine. minimal runout or out of round

RF has up to 2mm out of round, and also has 2mm wobble/runout.

Why a spin balance wouldn't show this is another question, but do you tire experts think that it's a seating issue? I can't think of how a tire can be made to have runout, but what do you think?

Are they better off moving the tire around the rim, or exchanging that tire for one from the rear?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #2

I don't know how long the tires have been on but if brand new with just a few miles have them replace the out of round one. I use beads and they have worked very well for me for over 2000 miles. If you move that tire to the rear you will still have a vibration in the unit, out of round is out of round.

jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #3

I would also have them spin the wheel on the balancer with no tire installed to check the wheel itself for wobble. Unlikely but possible that it is bent.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
I would also have them spin the wheel on the balancer with no tire installed to check the wheel itself for wobble. Unlikely but possible that it is bent.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060

Good idea. To the previous post, if they find that the tire is out of round, then moving it to the rear might solve the immediate problem of driving comfort while I source another tire.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #5

OP, what brand of tire? Some brands are know for being 'out of round' and some are much better. On our last MH, we had an issue with a Goodyear tire that caused rough driving. After two times of attempting to re-balance that front tires, we did a complete tire rotation and may sure that the tire giving us issues went in the inside rear. This involved removing all of the tires from the rims and remounting them. While it helped, I still was not happy. We then decided to replace all of the tire with new ones. All was good then!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #6

I think that brand is a function of marketing for a lot of reasons. Market a lot, sell a lot, so a lot of people have your tires, and people being people, we justify our buying decisions.

Since most RV people don't have 100,000 mile years where they could change tires twice/year and really see differences, I think we all just pay our money and take our choices.

My GY670s were very popular tires, and expensive. There are also a lot of threads dedicated to failures of GY and Michelins...so there's that.

I went with Samson tires because they were inexpensive (zero advertising to cover). If I have to buy another one, so be it. It's less expensive to buy another one than to ship one back.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #7

I was blown away when the truck tire place told me they never balance truck tires. Say what?! nope. They threw equal in my fronts and no balance in the rear. I have to say I haven't noticed any vibration.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Rick I posted this in another thread a while ago. May help you. There are tire dealers who will "shave" the tire to get rid of the vibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
Maybe these will help you understand what I am trying to explain about out of round tires which could very well be the cause of your vibration. Again not trying to be right...just trying to help.

Vibration Diagnosis
Also read Slate's post #5 in this thread:

Help......Extreme front end vibration
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #9

That video looks like my tire. Just about the same amount of OOR. Mine also has lateral movement, to boot.

My plan will be to have the tire shop make a third attempt to get the tire right, or find a shaver if needed. While they might blame the tire, they let the MH go out the door...twice...without noticing that a steer tire wasn't right?

Seems that a spin balance would have warned them that a tire was weird before they ever let it get off the rack.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
In my experience the lateral movement signals a belt has shifted or is beginning to shift. Hope you get it figured out.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
You can have a tire that will balance perfectly even if it is out of round. You can have a tire that will balance perfectly and then go out of round at highway speed.

The only way to ensure that a tire is perfect is to use a system where the tire is balanced on the coach where the tire can be spun up to highway speed using a machine that spins the tire up. If the machine dances around while applying pressure to the tire, it is out of round and should be replaced.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I would have the tire remounted. Making certain the tire is concentric on the rim.

-Tom, W3TLN

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My tire man, who I used for many years, always when seating the tire on the rim, put the tire and rim on a five gallon bucket, laying horizontal, then applied the air, and when it pop'd he would stand it up, put it in the cage, and finished airing it up! The tire stores and truck stops, said it was against their policy to do it that way? So, if they would not do as I ask, I would leave, I even had one guy tell me he would do it as I requested, and then did it the way he always did, standing the tire upright in the cage and seating it that way, thinking I would not see him! I made him put my old tire back on and I left! But I never had a out of round issue, from the bead not seating properly! With that said, I would make them replace the tire in question, if they cannot get it to your satisfaction, do not put that tire on the rear, as it is defective and will cause extensive damage if it comes apart! A out of round tire will do nothing but get worse, believe me, they will not get better! On a MH tire, if it takes more than 4 oz,s weight, tell them you want a different tire! Period! You are the one that is paying for it, they will tell you they do it all the time,, but it is your decision! If a tire needs that much weight, it has a manufacturing defect, and will give you trouble down the road! JMHO!
Old 10-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #14

DOT says you must cage a truck tire when blowing up. What you want done is against the law and unsafe.