Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 11:21 PM   #1

Tire balancing question

I recently replaced all 6 tires on my MH with Michelins XRV from Costco. They mounted the tires but couldn't balance them because they didn't have the correct adapter to fit their machine. At first I was concerned when they said that it really wasn't necessary to balance them at all so I decided to drive it for a while and see how it feels. Well it rides great. (even at hwy speeds)

Question - Do I need to take it to another shop and have them balanced if it feels ok? or can I just carry on without balancing them. Also I have seen treads on this site saying only to balance the front.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

BTW - the tires are 245/70/19.5

John

John Stott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 11:25 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have always gotten a Road Force Balance on all my tires, it balances both sides of the tires so you will see weights on the inside and out. They will also take the worst of the bunch and put it the furthest away from the driver if the shop knows what they are doing. Not sure how it would work with the bigger tires you have, I have a class C with 16" wheels.

RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:46 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You should always balance your tires, big and small. Even though you may not feel them, they can be bouncing and will eventually lead to cupping and premature tire wear. Even though it will be minimal, balanced tires run smoother, cooler and get better mileage.

Static balancing or spin balancing is better than nothing, but the balancing beads/powder really do a good job. They balance the entire assembly including anything the tire may have temporarily picked up, like mud. As tires wear, the balance changes. Beads and powder adjust for this.

I hate the Goodyear G670's as steer tires, but I ran them on my last coach on the rear with Centramatics. After 40K they were all wearing perfectly.

I have Centramatics on all three axles of my Dutch Star.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had mine balanced and best two went on front, the other four they put balancing liquid in and best ride I've had in this coach yet.

My old tires had one out of balance in the rear you couldn't feel unless you were in the bedroom.

You'd likely know if one was was out of balance, I'd drive me crazy
pmgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #5
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Put dyna beads in them you can do this yourself and not even remove them from your motor home.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stott View Post
I recently replaced all 6 tires on my MH with Michelins XRV from Costco. They mounted the tires but couldn't balance them because they didn't have the correct adapter to fit their machine. At first I was concerned when they said that it really wasn't necessary to balance them at all so I decided to drive it for a while and see how it feels. Well it rides great. (even at hwy speeds)

Question - Do I need to take it to another shop and have them balanced if it feels ok? or can I just carry on without balancing them. Also I have seen treads on this site saying only to balance the front.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

BTW - the tires are 245/70/19.5

John
John,
First off, in todays less than top quality, mass produced tires, especially in the upper end sizes, i.e. 19.5", 22.5" & 24", it's pretty darn rare to find a full set that runs smooth enough to not feel any issues in the cab area or, at least the steering wheel. Typically your higher speed rated tires, i.e. ones that are to fit things like Corvettes, Performance Mustangs, high end BMWs and more, are usually manufactured with higher specs and better quality.

In RV tire production, there are standards but, in about 99.95% of them, you'll find at least SOME weights on them. And, there's also more potential for "out of round" units too in tires of that size range. Rare, but it does happen from time to time.

There are tire shops throughout the U.S. that can handle the balancing of your tires. Les Schwab come to mind as one of the first. I'm not a fan of balancing beads or, any of that type. It's a preference thing. If one is happy with that style of balancing, great. But, I am a fan of balancing ALL SIX TIRES!

Just because you may not feel the effects of an out-of-balance tire or, set of tires on the rear of a coach, doesn't mean they're not at least trying to shake things apart back there. Not to mention, a tire that's out of balance, will wear differently and with normally more tire wear, than a set of balanced ones. And that's really true for an out-of-round one too. So, yep, I'd definitely find a place that will handle all of them. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #7
RHR

I would definitely balance them. Even though you feel they are OK now, I believe it will be an issue later when you have a few miles on them. I recently used the dynabeads on my new tires for the first time instead of the conventional balancing with weights. I must say I am impressed, never had so smooth a ride in this coach.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:46 PM   #8

Thanks for the comments everyone. It looks like the dyna beads might be in order. If any additional comments about the Pros and Cons about dyna beads, I would love to hear them.

Thanks again.
John Stott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:54 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never balanced my RV tires EXCEPT for the fronts. I do get a little bounce up around 90 mph though.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:42 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have centramatics on all three axles, and had the tires balanced with weights. After 30k they are still wearing even and ride smooth!

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4347, Active Air

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stott View Post
Thanks for the comments everyone. It looks like the dyna beads might be in order. If any additional comments about the Pros and Cons about dyna beads, I would love to hear them.

Thanks again.
don't.....

go to a good truck tire shop and get them balanced
Old 08-07-2015, 12:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Never balanced my RV tires EXCEPT for the fronts. I do get a little bounce up around 90 mph though.
you need a gps speedo
Old 08-07-2015, 01:13 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I would not put anything but air in my tires! JMHO! Get them balanced, at a shop that has the right equipment to do so! If you do decide to use the dyna beads, have your valve stems switched out with ones that have the screens in them, or you will have a problem the first time you check the pressure! I also have used the Centramatic's, and had the tires all balanced before putting them on the MH! Never had a smoother ride, and the tires wore perfect! The one advantage of having the tires spin balanced, you also can check for out of round conditions at that time. Their your tires, you do what you feel is the right thing to do! You will get all kind of answers on here, but bottom line, its your money! Rail!
Old 08-07-2015, 06:53 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use dyna beads, perfect!