Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #1

Question Tire care

I recently bought a 28 foot Bounder, older one. Wondering if it should be stored with jacks down, relieving pressure on 3 and 5 year old tires.

Thanks, Kenn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

There is no particular reason to "relieve pressure" on your tires, but you can leave the jacks down if you like. My primary parking site is a bit off level, so I always level when I park it there.

Driving occasionally is the nicest thing you can do for your tires.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most info I've read on the subject of storage relative to tires, indicates it is more important to provide a vapor barrier under the tires and use some method of covering them/protecting them from the sun or weather. Using jacks to take wgt. off the tires cannot hurt and might help prevent a flat spot. I store my coach with jacks down.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Storing Your Vehicle Properly To Help Protect Your Tires.

Unless you spend all of your time on the road, your RV will probably be parked in storage some of the time.

That’s why it’s important to follow these steps to help protect your RV tires when you’re storing your vehicle:
• Keep the vehicle in a cool, dry storage area out of direct sunlight or UV rays.
• Place the vehicle on blocks to remove the weight from the tires. If the vehicle can't be put on blocks, make sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well-drained and reasonably level.
• Unload the vehicle so that minimum weight is on the tires.
• Inflate tires to the recommended operation pressure plus 25%, but don’t exceed the rim manufacturer’s inflation capacity.
• Thoroughly clean the tires with soap and water before storing them.
• Move the vehicle at least every three months to help prevent ozone cracking and flat-spotting, but avoid moving it during extremely cold weather.
• Adjust the tire inflation before putting the vehicle back into service.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:23 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice. Is the idea with the 25% more pressure to keep from flat spotting during the non use time? I hadn't heard of that recommendation before.

Thanks, Kenn
Old 09-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

What is the source of those recommendations? It combines about every old saw I've ever heard of for storing a vehicle, but have never seen any evidence cited as to the value of any or all of these things. And do you do this every time you park? or maybe just for 3+ months or more?

Don't forget that other things in the RV need help too when in long term storage - battery charge maintained, generator exercised, etc.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Source is from Goodyear RV Tire Care PD

I add the 25% more air when parking at my winter spot for 6 months.

Makes it real easy next spring to only let some air out to the right PSI when getting ready to travel. And then screwing on the Pressure Pro sensors.

Don't have to drag hoses out then.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the Goodyear source - that's a newer and different version of the Goodyear guide than I had filed away on my hard drive.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
What is the source of those recommendations? It combines about every old saw I've ever heard of for storing a vehicle, but have never seen any evidence cited as to the value of any or all of these things. And do you do this every time you park? or maybe just for 3+ months or more?

Don't forget that other things in the RV need help too when in long term storage - battery charge maintained, generator exercised, etc.
Same info I have seen on manufacturers site. If you are a "FACT" monger then check wit the manufacturer and if you hear something different post it.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #10

tire care

Just an FYI. I was talking to a friend who has been an RV serviceman for 20 plus years and he indicated that leaving the pressure on the jacks for the winter months is not a good idea. He says he regularly replaces a lot of hydraulic hoses in those things, after they have been left in that position for months at a time.

So, who knows.

Kenn
Old 09-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennpriebe View Post
Just an FYI. I was talking to a friend who has been an RV serviceman for 20 plus years and he indicated that leaving the pressure on the jacks for the winter months is not a good idea. He says he regularly replaces a lot of hydraulic hoses in those things, after they have been left in that position for months at a time.

So, who knows.

Kenn

Thousands and thousands of us snow birds will be in Florida with the jacks down for months, so that is not an option, nor do I think it's an issue.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Thousands and thousands of us snow birds will be in Florida with the jacks down for months, so that is not an option, nor do I think it's an issue.
Dirk, That's absolutely correct!