Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #29

I follow rules that make sense.

First, the staties would need to have a reason for piling me over. Not knowing whether I have chains on board isn’t sufficient. Then, they’d have to prove that an absence of chains on a dry road in clear weather conditions constitutes a safety hazard.

They can issue the ticket all they want.

I’ll still beat the rap.

And btw, I wouldn’t drive in a snow zone that had actual snow, because I’m not going to ever be near snow again for the rest of my life. That’s what the motor home is for.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post

First, the staties would need to have a reason for piling me over. Not knowing whether I have chains on board isn’t sufficient. Then, they’d have to prove that an absence of chains on a dry road in clear weather conditions constitutes a safety hazard.

I’ll still beat the rap.

And btw, I wouldn’t drive in a snow zone that had actual snow, because I’m not going to ever be near snow again for the rest of my life. That’s what the motor home is for.
That's up to you...and it sounds like you aren't going to be around mountains in the spring/winter/fall, which solves your problem.
For the rest of us, mountain weather is unpredictable. It can be sunny and dry on one side of the Eisenhower tunnel and snowing like a bear on the other. If you assume that the road will be clear and dry because it looks good where you are, good luck.
Once in a while there's a good reason for a law. Chain laws are a good idea. OTOH, my son in law made a good living towing people over Vail pass who didn't need chains. Wreckers aren't cheap there (nothing is cheap in Vail) and neither is the ticket.
Your choice.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:50 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry chains for 'chain law' States. Have no intention of ever putting them on. Instead will just hole up somewhere till weather clears.

Bought at NAPA auto parts.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #32

Quote:

I’ll still beat the rap.

So you only follow the laws you agree with and want to follow? You gotta love all the rough and tough internet lawyers.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
So you only follow the laws you agree with and want to follow? You gotta love all the rough and tough internet lawyers.

Yes. Your point? I’m not a sheep. Nor am I a lawyer, but I have successfully argued in court when a bad law is attempting to be enforced, and I’ve won.

Tell me truthfully. Do you never exceed the speed limit?
Old 11-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #34

Tire Chains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
If you assume that the road will be clear and dry because it looks good where you are, good luck..

I never assume anything. I plan. I research.

Everything.

I leave assumptions to lesser humans
Old 11-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #35

Quote:
Yes. Your point? I’m not a sheep. Nor am I a lawyer, but I have successfully argued in court when a bad law is attempting to be enforced, and I’ve won.

Tell me truthfully. Do you never exceed the speed limit?
AND you may 'beat' the ticket you got, but will it be worth the 1/2 day you spend in court ?
And you may not beat it, depending on the judge...

Being successful previously does not guarantee future success.
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by apatz View Post
Cheap insurance!

On my Country Coach I couldn’t get chains on mine with a shoe horn. Not nearly enough clearance.
Same here!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
WA REQUIRES you to carry chains that fit your rig if going over some of the passes here, whether you need/use them or not. Anything with a GVWR (NOT GCVWR) of 10,000#'s or more is affected.
Not just the passes, but other roads such as HWY 14 through the Columbia River Gorge.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybubba View Post
AND you may 'beat' the ticket you got, but will it be worth the 1/2 day you spend in court ?

And you may not beat it, depending on the judge...

Being successful previously does not guarantee future success.

It’s always worth the time to prove I’m not a sheep.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #39

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
It’s always worth the time to prove I’m not a sheep.

Never ceases to amaze me the people who post on a topic that have no business doing so and then want to argue their irrelevant point.

This law is not a bad law. It in place to protect all of those that drive the mountain passes. It was in acted because of the number of people getting into incidents by not being prepared. The weather can be unpredictable. Certainly storms can be predicted, but it can snow anytime up there. The only time you are stopped to ask about traction devices is when they are required. If you are stopped for another reason you may be asked but getting a ticket for not having them is probably more of your attitude in responding.

The most dangerous drivers are the ones that choose not to be prepared or those that simply disregard the law that they don't agree with. I've lived in Oregon all my life. I've also sat for hours waiting for an accident to be cleared. Usually caused by people driving too fast and not having traction devices.

If you are fortunate enough to not have to travel in winter weather areas or can sit out a storm that is great. Don't assume everyone can do that.

This thread is about recommendations for chains.

I find the Autosocks interesting and need to see if they are legal here and the places I will travel.

Is there anyone that drives winter weather and actually uses chains that has a recommendation?

Not chaining up at times will not be an option for me this winter.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #40

Any law that doesn’t require the officer to think is a bad law.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #41

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tire Chains?

Quote:
Any law that doesn’t require the officer to think is a bad law.

Any person that comes on to this forum do be argumentative has no place here!
Old 11-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #42

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
I would dare them to write me a ticket for not having chains on dry roads and fair conditions.

And I’d beat that rap.
NOPE.... I was a jurist on a trial for not carrying tire chains in November of last year in Oregon....The law is the law here! There are no exemptions.
Guy from TX lost the case big time .. then got a bit mouthy with the judge & jury after the jury's decision was announced.. so got 90 days because of that....on top of the fine and court costs..
You might want to just stay out of the states that enforce their winter travel laws..
And yes I carry a set of singles.... but no way to safely mount them without fearing damage to the coach & suspension if I ever used them.(outboard air bags all around)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote