Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #1

Tire Chains for Class A

I want a set just in case for my Sightseer.

Saw these local to me.

Any comment on this style? I looked on the tirechain site and they look pretty nice:

Diamond Chains

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komvee View Post
I want a set just in case for my Sightseer.

Saw these local to me.

Any comment on this style? I looked on the tirechain site and they look pretty nice:

Diamond Chains
they look ok to me, good price too.
i use the standard twisted link chain with round rubber band tensioners because that is all i could get when i needed them. the ride is pretty rough. if i had to buy another set of chains, i would go with the cable chains for a smoother ride.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #3

I have 245-70R on my Sunova. Those chains won't fit. Better check your tire size.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #4

Mine are 225's, though I called Tirechain.com and they said that set will fit from 225-255.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #5

Just as my opinion, mind you, I have a hard time imagining any situation in which I would use tire chains on a motorhome.

Keep in mind I'm a long-haul trucker, and I've driven all 48 states for a lot of years. I figure if chains are required, it's time to park.

The VP of operations at one company I worked at said that the only way to use chains was, if you got stuck, to throw them under the tires so you can get going again, and come back next spring to pick them up.

In 32 years of driving, I have chained up exactly 1 time, have never had a load late due to not chaining, and I would not have had to chain up that time if I had done the routing as I wanted to, instead of how a substitute dispatcher wanted me to.

I suppose if it was Friday afternoon, and you were in Sacramento, and it was snowing over Donner, and you were just starting out on your vacation, you might be willing to use chains, but that's about the only scenario I can imagine.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen RVs get stuck on wet grass after a lot of rain, these would definitly be cheaper than a tow truck
Old 07-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #7

In California, if the level is raised to 2, at least in Big Bear, you are required to put on chains and have M+S tires: No choice.

So they are pretty much mandatory for me to have since we go up a lot in the winter.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Chains

You might want to try automatic chains. Flip a switch and you are chained.. Actually they go under you tires. Are authorized in california and colorado. They fit on your axle and drop down after fliping switch.

YouTube - Onspot Automatic Tire Chains
Old 07-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
Chains

You might want to try automatic chains. Flip a switch and you are chained.. Actually they go under you tires. Are authorized in california and colorado. They fit on your axle and drop down after fliping switch.
Sounds expensive!

I tried a set of these Disamond chains out yesterday - Took me 3-5 minutes a side and no crawling. Awesome.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
komvee

They are.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
You might want to try automatic chains
Expensive or not, I believe that is the only type of chain I would trust on my coach. Fiberglass damage is expensive too, and many of us would be risking damage with chains on the rear wheels due to limited clearance between tires and fiberglass. Some cable types might work, but the automatic chains definitely would work and are much easier to engage/dis-engage.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:39 PM   #12

The ones that you listed are not heavey enough for an RV with 19.5 wheels. The same company does make a heavier version. I have used a set for 4 years and they work great. I use my RV (35' Winn) all winter for skiing. I spend every weekend from mid Nov. thu late April in the snow and have to chain up about half the time (in most states snow tires required means chains for anyone over 10K). They are easy to put on and they stay tight. I have traction tires on the drive wheels and by adding the chains my rig does very well in the snow. Just keep it slow and steady.

2003 Brave 34D
Seattle Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #13

I have only had to put chains on twice, both times at Yosemite National Park. Needed them to get out of the campground and then the valley floor. Removed before getting out of the park. It had snowed a bunch about four days before we were to leave and I had to buy the chains in the valley. Kept going to the garage (now closed) to verify no one purchased the chains before I left. The second time was to get into Yosemite. At least I had a set of chains. My next motorhome had the wide tires and I bought new chains. I never used them. My present motorhome I do not have chains. Will deal with it when the time comes. Most likely just stay put until the roads are clear.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would be scared to death to drive my motorhome in the snow. What happens if the front end starts to slide sideways? Yikes. Take a different route or wait for the snow to melt.

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote