Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2015, 10:12 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Tire comparisons

[QUOTE=macandphyl;2718075]X2 on the Michelins thru FMCA's buying program. I got 275/70R 22.5
for $ 495 each. You will not be making a mistake by buying a
quality brand name you know and can trust.
JMHO.[/

Great deal.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Michelins are over rated and extremely overpriced. When a tire has to be replaced in three years due to extreme cracking I would call it a POS. My Hankooks look like new after three years and ride and drive as well or better than a Michelin. Wouldn't have another Michelin on a kids wagon.

Lol. Hilarious.

Michelin is an awesome tire, and the customer service and backing up their product is hands down the best in the industry.

Have fun on that wagon!

Cheers!

Old 08-27-2015, 10:24 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you could trust them would be great. Over rated and over priced.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:23 AM   #18

My wife knows little about tires, but she did notice the brand of tires on our new mh. Looking at the tires she said, "Oh it has Michelins, thats not good, remember how much trouble I had with Michelins on my van?"
In my family anything to do with Firestone was avoided due to belt separation. Firestone had belt separation problems long before the national news stories in the year 2000. My dad purchased a set of Firestone tires in the 70's which developed belt separation. The rear of the car would waddle side to side, most noticeable at low speed. A few years later he purchased tires at a dept. store and this set of tires were soon exhibiting belt separation. When we returned to the dept. store, dad asked what company made their house brand. The salesman replied Firestone and at that point dad was through ever considering the Firestone brand. In the mid 80's I purchased a used pickup with Firestone tires. A front tire had belt separation at 60 mph and the truck nearly shook to pieces. I exited the freeway and took the side streets home. The tire was 2" out of round. A couple years later I had a flat with this same truck and mounted the original Firestone spare, sure enough at slow speed I could soon feel the side to side waddle. This was the only brand tire that failed in this manner and consistently in our family, it may be anecdotal but it was real enough to us.
I had to smile when Firestone was in the spotlight again many years later for the same issues. I thought heck, that is a design feature of that brand. Not only would I never buy their tires, would not even consider their stock shares. Sometimes opinions are formed with real life experience.
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:14 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I run Toyos on my Pace Arrow. I've always gotten good wear out of them and the ride is nice. They handle well on wet roads. Living in the Pacific NW that's a plus. During our recent trip through Texas with tropical depression Bill the Toyos performed very well. We hit all the rain headed east and all the rain returning west. No hydroplaning and never any handling scares. They are priced reasonably, as motorhome tires go. I also run Toyos on 2 out of our three passenger cars. We run Perelli P600 W rated tires on our Jaguar which are very pricey making the 8 Toyos on the motorhome all the more reasonable.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #20

Tire Comparisons

Guys and gals,

Many thanks for all the input. I see that quite a few of you are running Toyo tires. These were in the back of my mind anyway since I have had much experience with Toyo on heavy use trucks such as garbage trucks.
You can imagine the abuse tires take on garbage trucks with landfills, rough alleys and driver abuse. Toyo held up pretty well in these conditions.

Methinks I'll be checking out the availabilty and pricing here shortly.

Many thanks again all. It is always a pleasure dealing with those in the know...
Old 08-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #21

I run Sailun 255/70/22.5. Counteract balancing beads. Ride very nice. Price was very good at a GCR shop.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:00 AM   #22
epj

I put 6 Toyos on our HR a couple of months ago. Only been on one trip, but so far so good. About $2700 installed in my driveway. These were the 19.5.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadDad View Post
I run Sailun 255/70/22.5. Counteract balancing beads. Ride very nice. Price was very good at a GCR shop.
After much time researching, I decided on Sailun truck tires. They are not well-known in the U.S.A. yet, I've seen a few HDT's running them. I solved my ST tire problem on our 5er with Sailun S 637 tires. Simpletire.com has them for a great price. A local tire shop quoted me $2,200 total, for 6 275/70R22.5, LR H.
Buying while in a no-sales tax state saves some too. Michelin and Goodyear have priced their tires beyond reason IMO, especially after reading about their problems.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #24

The Toyo should treat you well. You might also want to go thru the FMCA Tire Buying Program (Basically a Fleet Account discount.), and get some quotes on the BF Goodrich ST230. Made by Michelin, so good for the program.

These were on my short list about 5 years ago, and finally went with with the Michelin XZE* for the extra materials they put on the sidewalls. 5 1/2 years, and they're still going strong. I did just have to replace two of them, due to pot hole damage. Michelin tire shortage, should be flowing to the the tire distributors again soon, as they are supposed to restart the RV tire batches again about two weeks ago now. So this shortage impacted other brands too, and finding the ties I needed in our size required many phone calls. They found me 2 relatively young BF Goodrich ST230's close by, and I paid for them to be shipped to the shop. (Actually 'transferred' $11 each, as this was TCI Tire Center transfer from one shop to another.) Substantial discount with the FMCA tire program.

Worth comparing to the costs of the Toyo's.

I also second the idea of buying new tires while traveling in a zero or low sales tax state. Oregon is where I'll be replacing the balance of my tires.

Good luck, and travel safe,
Smitty
Old 09-05-2015, 08:30 AM   #25

American Coach Owners Club
I have been researching tires as well in the 295x80x22.5 size. I havn't found the proper Hankook yet, but just started looking.

I will say though that I priced the Michelin XZA2 Energy through FMCA and then just this am found them cheaper on Simpletire. I had not even heard of this place, but they are about $10 cheaper per tire than FMCA. Didn't even know FMCA could be beat on pricing....lol $10 aint much, but it's $86 when all 8 tires are added together +tax.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
I have been researching tires as well in the 295x80x22.5 size. I havn't found the proper Hankook yet, but just started looking.

I will say though that I priced the Michelin XZA2 Energy through FMCA and then just this am found them cheaper on Simpletire. I had not even heard of this place, but they are about $10 cheaper per tire than FMCA. Didn't even know FMCA could be beat on pricing....lol $10 aint much, but it's $86 when all 8 tires are added together +tax.

Simpletire could work out well and save you some money. But when I was talking with them, I could not get any advance confirmation or agreement on DOT Born On Dates being under 6 months (I prefer 3, but sometimes you just have to buy tires, especially when you have two on your coach with damage from potholes! Simpletire said that they could be up to 11 months old, and I would not know until they showed up. Plus, shipping costs and sometimes higher mounting balancing costs from a place your not buying tires from, can eat into those savings on the price to Simpletire.

Many don't care about DOT Born On Dates, so for them no problem working with Simpletire.

Best to all, keep the rubber side down,
Smitty
Old 09-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Tire comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Simpletire could work out well and save you some money. But when I was talking with them, I could not get any advance confirmation or agreement on DOT Born On Dates being under 6 months (I prefer 3, but sometimes you just have to buy tires, especially when you have two on your coach with damage from potholes! Simpletire said that they could be up to 11 months old, and I would not know until they showed up. Plus, shipping costs and sometimes higher mounting balancing costs from a place your not buying tires from, can eat into those savings on the price to Simpletire.

Many don't care about DOT Born On Dates, so for them no problem working with Simpletire.

Best to all, keep the rubber side down,

Smitty

www.simpletire.com WILL give you DOT manufactured dates if you are persistent . I told them I would not purchase without knowing the dates so they contacted the warehouse distributor and gave me the DOT manufactured dates. Less than one month old Michelen XRV's.

I purchased in July, they were manufactured in June. Great service, arrived promptly, drop shipped to local commercial tire dealer and installed there.

Cheers!
Old 09-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #28

Whatever you are going to buy, consider a vacation trip to Oregon, and while you are there get some new tires. No sales tax, no recycling fees and usually lower prices. That saved a couple of my California friends $800 on a six tires for their Allegro. When I need tires I be taking that vacation trip to Oregon too.

Tags
comparison