Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #1

Tire comparisons

Howdy All,

At the risk of starting a brawl how about some tire feedback? I have Michelin Energy XZE that are approaching 6 yrs old on my Alfa SYFE36FD right now and love everything about 'em except the replacement prices. He in CA everything is to darned expensive especially with the state taxes we have here as well as environmental fees, disposal fees, save the kangaroo rat fees etc(OK, just kidding about the rat fees!)

I know a lot of you out there are running all kinds of brands. Tell me a little about the good and bad. I like a solid feel and prefer H load ratings with 14 to 16 plies. All are expensive but Michelin is waaay out there at 75 to 100 bucks more per tire. BTW tires are 255/70R 22.5 LR H.

Goodyear
Toyo
Continental
Hankook ( I have Hankooks on my 2500HD and they have been great)
Firestone

All are competively priced so I just wondered where I can get the best bang for my buck. Of course they all say theirs are the best. I want real world comparisons.

Thanks all and safe travels.
McFarlin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced my factory Michelin's with Toyo's 3 years ago and am very satisfied. I bought mine from Les Schwab in Oregon and have had them rebalanced in CA with no problems. You can get $50 and more for your old tires if you ask at most places. My Michelin's had numerous cracks before the 3 year mark, the Toyo's look like new.

I am not a Michelin "hater", I have them on my 3 automobiles.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #3

Thanks UFO,

Specific Toyo type to look at?
McFarlin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:56 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe they only have one type they install on MH's. Mine are M154.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"McFarlin AZ"......I really like the Hankook AH12's. The only problem with them is that they only come in a few sizes. I think Hankook could corner the market if they made more motor home sizes. With that said, your tire size is one of the few they make. I put them on my Monaco Diplomat and loved them (255/70-22.5). I was only getting about 20K out of the Goodyears before they would "river" on the front axle. I went with the Hankooks on the front and had over 22K on them when I sold the coach. They still looked new and were wearing perfectly. They're also a great riding tire.

They are substantially cheaper than the Goodyears and Michellins.

There is a place here in Simi Valley ( a little bit of a drive for you) Grand American Tire, (805) 527-1515 that can get the Hankooks at a good price and install. Might be worth the drive. Ask for Eddy for a quote.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have Michelin's and trust them...they are on all my vehicles. Your right, you will get lots of answers. My theory is buy what you trust. It may cost more, but at my age I have had enough budget surprises.

I've also read that FMCA has a great tire discount program for members...and the club does provide value to me, so I don't mind paying the membership dues. Check it out.

Good luck on whatever you buy. Tire pressure and weight are obviously critical items....5 lbs really makes a difference on how the front end handles.

Lastly, please provide us feedback on whatever tire you purchase! We have the tire bashing columns almost every other week....it would be nice to get some definitive feedback on what new owner's think about their purchase a couple of months after making the switch.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #7

Vote #2 for Toyo 2 years and 10000 mi handle great.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #8

www.Simpletire.com lists 79 tires in your size. They range in price from $156.99 each for "Doublestars" to $589.99 each for "Goodyear G670 RV MTR". I've never bought from Simple Tire, but I do find their web page to be useful for comparing lots of brands in one place.

I have Samson GL283 A's on my coach. I have about 6000 miles on them and they handle every bit as well as the Michelin XZEs that they replaced. In your size, a GL283 A will run $ 179.99.

Most importantly, but whatever makes you comfortable. It's no fun driving along, worrying about something going wrong! If you're convinced that a tire has to cost $400 or $500 to be good enough, then that's what you should buy. Life's too short to be tense all the time.

As for me, until I actually hear of one failing, I'll roll on Samsons and put the extra $$$ in the gas tank!
Old 08-27-2015, 06:23 PM   #9

10,000+ miles on my Toyo M154s (second time I've bought these - sold the other coach after a few thousand miles). Love them!
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:44 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought from simpletire.com and enjoyed great, quick shipping and brand new Michelin XRV's at a fair price. Local commercial truck tire dealer did the install, had them dropped shipped to him.

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:06 PM   #11

i have a set of yoko's with about 6k miles. Ride well and easy to find on the road if needed.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
X2 on the Michelins thru FMCA's buying program. I got 275/70R 22.5
for $ 495 each. You will not be making a mistake by buying a
quality brand name you know and can trust.
JMHO.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:45 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Michelins are over rated and extremely overpriced. When a tire has to be replaced in three years due to extreme cracking I would call it a POS. My Hankooks look like new after three years and ride and drive as well or better than a Michelin. Wouldn't have another Michelin on a kids wagon.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I just bought 4 Toyos for the rear for $1500 in Georgia. Michelins were about $900 more and a two week wait.
We're in Nebraska now with 1400 miles on them and no problem. They ride the same as the Michelins I had.
The price included a $40 disposal fee. The tires were almost 10 years old and still looked good. Only small cracks. Michelin priced themselves out of my market.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparison