Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #1

Tire Confusion ....

Hello, Could anyone out there help clear up a little confusion with replacement tires?
We just picked up a "new to us" 1995 Safari DP, knowing that it needs 4 new back tires.

The front steer tires are new last year: 225 R70 22.5 Are these steer only tires are can I put these same kind on the back too?

The rear 4 tires that are on the rear now are Michelin X9R 22.5 XZE (DOT 0203 Yikes!!). I am trying to look online for replacements but don't know what size I should be looking for.

We are remodeling this unit over the next year and a half I wasn't planning on replacing tires until just before we were ready to hit the road - I figured there was no point in letting them age till then- but these are so old I am nervous to drive anywhere! So I would like an economical interim replacement.

I suspect the ones on there now may not be the right tires/size? On the way home noticed the speedometer is about 5 km out/over.
mrjohnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjohnz View Post
Hello, Could anyone out there help clear up a little confusion with replacement tires?
We just picked up a "new to us" 1995 Safari DP, knowing that it needs 4 new back tires.

The front steer tires are new last year: 225 R70 22.5 Are these steer only tires are can I put these same kind on the back too?

The rear 4 tires that are on the rear now are Michelin X9R 22.5 XZE (DOT 0203 Yikes!!). I am trying to look online for replacements but don't know what size I should be looking for.

We are remodeling this unit over the next year and a half I wasn't planning on replacing tires until just before we were ready to hit the road - I figured there was no point in letting them age till then- but these are so old I am nervous to drive anywhere! So I would like an economical interim replacement.

I suspect the ones on there now may not be the right tires/size? On the way home noticed the speedometer is about 5 km out/over.
There should be a placard on the wall near the driver's seat telling the tire size. It should also give you a suggested tire psi to use till you get the coach weighed and loaded ready for a trip. The 225 tire tread width is similar to the 9R tire. Do they say "steer tire" on the sidewall? Quite often a steer tire can be used in other locations.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:45 AM   #3

Quote:

Yea you can use steer tires on the rear....

What brand are your fronts...?

I would suggest and this is what I do... put the 2 fronts on the outside rear and buy 4 tires just like them, providing they are the right size for your coach ....I always keep the freshest tires up front
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I can't answer your tire questions.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to find out what the rig weighs front and rear then you can select the proper size tire you need.
Don't worry about drive or steering tires now as most are able to fit all around.

Find more info about your rigs weight is your starting point.
Your front tires you mentioned just seen very narrow 225 R70 22.5 and seem they should be around 245/75/22.5 for a small diesel pusher.

Here is a great place to compare tire sizes.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc....5-245-75r22.5

Just change the size what you have now and compare to larger ones.
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #6

Thanks so much for all the Great Information! I will check into it. I don't see a brand name on the front tires. I will go look for the info on a sticker/plaque inside.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #7

What does the "R" refer to? what is the difference between a 9R and 11R- are they interchangeable?
Old 06-21-2018, 05:32 PM   #8

Quote:
What does the "R" refer to? what is the difference between a 9R and 11R- are they interchangeable?
The R means radial. The 9R has a 9" wide tread and the 11R is 11" wide at the tread. Your 225 tire is 225/25.4 or 8.85" wide. (225 mm divided by 25.4 mm/inch) It is 35" tall.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:57 PM   #9

Oh that makes sense. Why do they have to make it so confusing !! It's like learning a secret code..............
Old 06-21-2018, 06:24 PM   #10

What kind of coach did you get to restore? The more information, the more help you will get in this forum.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #11

It is a 1995 Safari Sahara 37 foot diesel. So excited to make it our own cool style
Old 06-21-2018, 07:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
There should be a placard on the wall near the driver's seat telling the tire size. It should also give you a suggested tire psi to use till you get the coach weighed and loaded ready for a trip.
Agree! That placard is there for a reason. While you could deviate some, you have to be careful that you don't get tires that don't properly fit the rims, or are too wide and rub on the rear duals.

When you are reviewing tires many will state if they are "all position" or not.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:13 PM   #13

Quote:
It is a 1995 Safari Sahara 37 foot diesel. So excited to make it our own cool style
Those seem like very small tires for a 37' diesel.

edit: I stand corrected. The 9r22.5 is the oem tire for your coach. Here is the specs of a 12 ply:

Manufacturer: Bridgestone Tire
Manufacturers Part Number: 000-275
Ply Rating: 12
Load Range: F
Max Speed: 75 mph
Overall Diameter: 38.4 Inches
Section Width: 8.9 Inches
Tread Depth: 19 (32nds)
Recommended Rim: 6.75
Weight: 86 lbs
Single Max Load Pressure: 4540 lbs at 105 psi
Dual Max Load Pressure: 4300 lbs at 105 psi