Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #15
Nothing but Michelins for me. The four rear tires on my class C are Goodyears (installed by the previous owner) but I replaced the two front ones with Michelins as soon as I bought it.

2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ
1999 American Cruiser RE2000
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #16
Called Costco today and they wanted me to bring the coach down to look at it before they would say whether or not they could mount the tire on the rim. Sounded kind of fishy to me. I could probably give them the info they needed over the phone. They have a better price for the tire though and it still may be worth getting the tire from them if they can't mount it. Unless another dealer would match their price...

This was for the Michelin XZE.

goldcountryca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:54 AM   #17
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just put 6 new Michelin tires on our RV at 5 years. This is the second set that I've purchased (I bought the first set immediately after our purchase of the RV.) Call me crazy but I figured out that it costs me $160 a year more to replace tires at 5 years rather than 7 years and I intend to keep doing it with Michelins. I can share the spreadsheet that I used to arrive at those calculations. I've read the stories about blow outs and am willing to do anything that I can to avoid them. Michelin and Goodyear offered me tires but the Goodyear's profile was wider and I was concerned about more heat build up on the rear tires because of it.

The original tires that I replaced were about 5 years old based on the DOT codes when I replaced them. Our RV's original owner had gotten about 24K miles out of them without incident. Now, I've gotten 5 years out of our first set, also without incident. When I started thinking about:
1. The physical damage to the RV from a blow out
2. The potential safety problems of sitting precariously along a highway somewhere, waiting for help
3. The costs involved in having to buy an emergency tire and have it brought to me
4. The inconvenience of having one of our trips interrupted

I decided that new, brand name tires were, in the long run, the cheapest solution.
Your mileage may vary.
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go with a good name brand. For your size of tire, I would include Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone/Goodrich, Toyo & Yokohoma in that category.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #19
The money you spend on the best tires you can buy will be a small price to pay when the safety of your loved ones is at stake. That happens the first mile you drive. Safety first!! JMHO
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #20
Went with the Michelin XZE's in the size I needed. Ordered them from Costco (Special order) but fortunately they are coming out of Reno and will be here by Wednesday. I will pick them up and have a local dealer install them as it is still less expensive than buying them here. Costco could install them but it would be quite a bit of time. Ended up saving a couple hundred dollars and still getting a good tire. Thanks all for the input.

goldcountryca is offline   Reply With Quote