Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #1

I am in the market for 2 new replacement tires for my front axle Michelin XRVs on my '04 Brave. Size is 245/70 R19.5 . I have received quite a number of quotes ranging from $500 a pair installed(Dynastar??) up to $1050 a pair installed(Michelin) and everything in between (Bridgestone, Toyo, others).

During this process, I have been told by different dealers different things. On one side, I have been told that in this type of tire (RV, heavier load range), the higher cost is just for the name brand and paying more doesn't get me a better tire. On the other hand, I have been told the top of the line tire will make a huge difference on ride, economy, and safety and to settle for nothing less.

I don't change tires often enough to be comfortable with making an uninformed decision on which way to go. Anyone have any suggestions?? Any assistance is appreciated. Need to make a quick decision (by Monday) as I need these tires installed Tuesday.

Thanks.

goldcountryca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #2

I am in the market for 2 new replacement tires for my front axle Michelin XRVs on my '04 Brave. Size is 245/70 R19.5 . I have received quite a number of quotes ranging from $500 a pair installed(Dynastar??) up to $1050 a pair installed(Michelin) and everything in between (Bridgestone, Toyo, others).

During this process, I have been told by different dealers different things. On one side, I have been told that in this type of tire (RV, heavier load range), the higher cost is just for the name brand and paying more doesn't get me a better tire. On the other hand, I have been told the top of the line tire will make a huge difference on ride, economy, and safety and to settle for nothing less.

I don't change tires often enough to be comfortable with making an uninformed decision on which way to go. Anyone have any suggestions?? Any assistance is appreciated. Need to make a quick decision (by Monday) as I need these tires installed Tuesday.

Thanks.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:30 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I have run the Michelin XRV 19.5" tire on a 36' coach and was quite happy with them. I now run 22.5" Goodyears and are happy with these too. What weight is on your front axle when loaded and all passengers are aboard?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'm a firm believer in quality name brand tires.

I run only Michelin or Goodyear tires.

IMHO, the higher cost of a top of the line tire is worth the money.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:54 AM   #5
paz

Another thing I have found is that Michelin will stand behind their tires. I had weather checking on 2 tires after less than 4 years. Michelin gave me 2 new tires 70% off based on 70% of the original tread remaining.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:56 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
A tire purchase is not a commodity purchase (like the everyday consumables we buy where price may be the most important factor). In addition, the importance of high quality can not be understated. For me, it is Michelin tires (for 30+ years).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with others. Go name brand.

Not to hijack the topic, but is there a problem with having a brand on the front which is different from the rears? I'm assuming by the question that the rears will remain to be Michelin XRVs.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:17 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Not to hijack the topic, but is there a problem with having a brand on the front which is different from the rears? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMO, no.

I would not mix brands on the same axle though.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:47 AM   #9

I have Bridgestones on our coach which is my first choice of tires. One advantage is their deeper tread depth than other brands mentioned.

Granted, most will change out their tires due to age, long before their tread wears down, however I feel a bit more comfortable with more rubber on the road.

Happy Holidays

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #10

Thanks all for the info.

WIZARD: it has been a few years (probably since it was new) that I have weighed in. In all honesty, I can't remember what that number is. I know this is something I need to do but have been putting it off. Now is the perfect time for me to head to the scales while I'm out getting the new tires. Would this make a difference in what tire I need?

BOB: Not to worry about hijacking the topic as this was another question I had. Nice Job!!

I like the idea of the new tires being a name brand and would never want to sacrifice my family's safety to save a few $$'s. One national dealer gave me a quote for $920 for a pair of 16 ply Michelin XZE tires and said that these are the newer model of the XRV's. Is this correct?? Anyone runnning this tire?

Thanks again all for your input.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #11

The XZE is not a newer model of the XRV, it is an entirely different tire. I replaced XRV's with XZE's simply because I wanted to upgrade to 275's, and the largest XRV is a 255. I have been very happy with them.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I have received quite a number of quotes ranging from $500 a pair installed(Dynastar??) up to $1050 a pair installed(Michelin) and everything in between (Bridgestone, Toyo, others). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
GoldCountryCA,
I don't know exactly where in the goldcountry you are located, but the prices you are being quoted are too high in my opinion.
This store has your size in Michelins for basically $300 each and their price includes mounting, balancing etc.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SacsTC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I have received quite a number of quotes ranging from $500 a pair installed(Dynastar??) up to $1050 a pair installed(Michelin) and everything in between (Bridgestone, Toyo, others). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
GoldCountryCA,
I don't know exactly where in the goldcountry you are located, but the prices you are being quoted are too high in my opinion.
This store has your size in Michelins for basically $300 each and their price includes mounting, balancing etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GoldCountry, be sure and check with the Costco store to see if mounting is available for these tires. Mounting is NOT available at all stores. Just purchased 2 for the front of my motorhome in September in Bakersfield. No mounting or balancing available. Cost me $60 to get it done at a truck tire place.

Dieselclacker

On edit, I also went with the Michelin XZE tires that I replaced on the front. I still have the XRV tires on the rears. Fronts were replaced because of severe weather checking on the sidewalls. XZE tires are great. I also run on 19.5 wheels as you do.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #14

Had a Class C years ago that had Michelin tires. I drove it without even thinking about the performance. I replaced them with a low-priced store brand tire and regretted it almost before I got home. I couldn't afford to replace them, so suffered bad handling and ride until I sold the rig. Known top-line tires on the RV for me from now on!