Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Can anyone tell us why in our travels in life we only see "tire covers" on RV'S ? I have never seen tire covers on anything else. Is it just a RV thing? Todays 20" tires on auto's are getting really expensive, does anyone cover them when not in use outside? When I replaced the Michelin's on my Coach w/29,000 miles on them 9 years old visual appearance was great, no rot or cracks, replaced due to age. No covers here. I guess another subject that is personal preferance.

A couple of thoughts as to why RV tires are covered vs. auto/truck tires:

RVs are not used on a regular basis and sit for extended periods of time which may or may not be exposed to direct sunlight. Also, autos are typically parked under cover - not all certainly, but many thus protection from harmful sun's rays. Autos are used on a regular basis, thus using tires that must be replaced on a more frequent basis - usually not 7+ yrs.

I agree with tires getting expensive. I just replaced the 4tires on my ZO6 Corvette last week - big $$$$. Wife is responsible for wearing out rear tires - she disagrees, however.

Bronk

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #30

Driving a car/truck also helps distribute the oil in tires.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I use them for the six months we're home. On the road I keep 303 generously applied.
Cliff
Another thing with UV protectant is Black Magic Pro Shine Protectant. I'm sure it is a lot cheaper than 303. It says to "not use on 2-wheel bicycles and motor cycles and to wipe off excess from tire treads to prevent slinging-off that could permanently stain some surfaces." I use it on my tires and dash-board.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We always put on tire covers if we're staying for more than one night and the tires will be in direct sunlight.

I love the designer tire covers from Camping World. The colors go very well with our MH. Just be sure to order them for the size tires you have.

Designer Tyre Gard 4-pack

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #33

Absolutely, we use a set of tire covers my wife made out of marine vinyl. They look great and keep the sun off the tires.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #34

I don't use them currently, but do plan on getting a pair.

What really makes me smile, is seeing an RV parked on an east/west orientation, with both the north, and the south facing tires covered. Or, even better, covered when they are protected by the shade of a slide-out.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My Goodyear manual says it's not necessary, that RV tires are treated with a special additive to protect them from the sun. Having said that, I cover them if staying more than a few nights.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
i don't see the harm in covering them. If I am staying at least two nights I cover mine.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The added benefit is that you keep your wheels looking nice. When it rains, you won't get crap kicked up all over your wheels.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #38

I own a roofing company and install EPDM roofs all the time. The rubber is made by Firestone and has what's called "carbon black" which gives it the black color. This is mixed in with the rubber to give it UV protection. I asked one of the chemical engineers from Firestone how long would the EPDM itself last on a roof. He told me 60 years minimum.

We do huge warehouses that have no shade whatsoever and the rubber is exposed to all the elements plus UV. So I don't think rubber tires are going to be hurt all that much from several years of sunlight.

I suspect that the main reason for tire covers is looks. Maybe someone at some time thought it would protect the tires. They just really don't need protecting. They really do look good though.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Can anyone tell us why in our travels in life we only see "tire covers" on RV'S ? I have never seen tire covers on anything else. Is it just a RV thing? Todays 20" tires on auto's are getting really expensive, does anyone cover them when not in use outside? When I replaced the Michelin's on my Coach w/29,000 miles on them 9 years old visual appearance was great, no rot or cracks, replaced due to age. No covers here. I guess another subject that is personal preferance.
IMHO in most instances other than RV's, the tires wear out before they age out, whereas in most RV cases, they will age out before wearing out.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury0_0 View Post
I own a roofing company and install EPDM roofs all the time. The rubber is made by Firestone and has what's called "carbon black" which gives it the black color. This is mixed in with the rubber to give it UV protection. I asked one of the chemical engineers from Firestone how long would the EPDM itself last on a roof. He told me 60 years minimum.

We do huge warehouses that have no shade whatsoever and the rubber is exposed to all the elements plus UV. So I don't think rubber tires are going to be hurt all that much from several years of sunlight.

I suspect that the main reason for tire covers is looks. Maybe someone at some time thought it would protect the tires. They just really don't need protecting. They really do look good though.
Do you have a reference about there being "carbon black" in EPDM roofing?
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
Sun is the culprit!!
Ozone is an even bigger culprit, especially if stored inside around arc welding.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
If you are in the 5 to 7 year replace them, rich $$$ group. No need to cover them.

If you want them to last from 8 to 10 years, for a lower cost $$$ per year, then cover them.
Never covered mine and they easily went eight years.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote