Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #15

I read that tires that sit are benefited by covering if they get a lot of direct light. Tires that are being used in direct light (they all are) benefit from use, as the various components that make up the rubber some how are mixed and somehow keep a tire fresher than one that just sits, especially in direct sun. So there are all kinds of variables direct sun, partial sun, bad surface the tire is on, whether used often or not can all have an impact on tire life. It's generally accepted that tires on mh's don't get worn out they tend to age out and basically are rotten, making a tire that looks perfect--- unfit for use on a heavy vehicle, and fail. Car tires on the other hand don't carry the weight a mh tire does so usually a car with an older tire on won't just blow out the way a truck tire will on a loaded vehicle. He's something I read I think on the michlen site, at truck tire that is sup-post to have 110 psi is flat when it's pressure is down to 80%! That means a tire could be standing up and looking ok but is low enough that ran very far this way will fail!
Loren
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
My thoughts are that ANYTHING left in the sun long term will degrade.

Ed
Agree. Plus, RV tires will die of old age before we run the tread off them, so I figure the covers might help them live a bit longer...sure can't hurt.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #17

Just look at the inside of the tires vs the outside of those that have been exposed to a lot of direct sunlight for a few of years. This speaks for itself. My RV is stored inside when we are not travelling and I do not use tire covers however direct sunlight does degrade a lot of materials, this is not just conjecture. How much degredation is of course subject to the material composition and exposure levels. Tires are no exception to this fact. But different tires would likely degrade at different degrees, nonetheless tires will degrade more if exposed to direct sunlight for an extended period vs those not exposed to direct sunlight.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #18

Tire covers it is.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:29 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Roger Marble is a retired tire engineer with a 40-year career behind him. He frequents several online fora as "Tireman9". He writes a blog at www.rvtiresafety.com . Here's his write-up on tire covers.

RV Tire Safety: Tire Covers - Do they do any good?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:05 AM   #20

I cover mine always when parked to mainly protect the wheels. Lots of work to keep shiny and the cats like to "mark" the tires1
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #21

While living in Las Vegas our RV tires were covered all the time. Friends who didn't had visible dry rot by the second year. Now that I am retired and a full-timer, I only cover mine if I will be in the same place for a couple weeks and only on tires that are in direct sun. I always have them with me. but only use them occasionally. Very dry climate and direct sun accelerate the rotting process.
Pa Uon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #22

The covers do help if your RV is exposed to the sun. Just as important as the cover-up is applying a UV protectant. "Aerospace 303 protectant" keeps rubber, vinyl, plastic trim looking new.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I opted for wheel well covers instead of wheel covers. They are easy to put on and provide air flow around the tires. I have them cut about 1-2" above the ground with the MH on it's jacks. That is low enough to shade the entire tire but keep them off the ground. Since I had these made by the same place that made my window covers I think they added about $200 to the price tag. I had wheel covers on my previous MH and such a PIA to use so even if the $200 is more expensive...it is worth it to ME.

Personally, I don't think the tire companies have a dog in the debate of cover or not cover. WAIT, I take that back. If they even suggest to protect them I would take them to heart because the only down side of ignoring them is that you might buy more tires and make them even more money.

BTW...the observation about a spare tire disintegrating under the coach without being used is a bit of a red herring. One reason is that we don't know if it was exposed to road salts and other corrosive events and never getting a chance to get cleaned on occasion. The second reason is that tires actually benefit from being driven on. The act of driving them causes emollients to be released to the surface to help protect and condition the tires.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
My thoughts are that ANYTHING left in the sun long term will degrade.

Ed
I bought new ST tires for my cargo trailer a few years ago. I keep it parked in my driveway, E to W. The tires facing South now have tiny cracks running longitudinally around the tires. The North facing tires have no cracks whatsoever. Obviously I should have covered them from the sun. Those tires only have about 1,000 miles on them.
IMO, that pretty-well speaks to the ozone vs sun theory.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
We use them anywhere we're parked for more then a few days. Cheap insurance for expensive tires, in my mind. We also regularly apply Aerospace 303.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I opted for wheel well covers instead of wheel covers. They are easy to put on and provide air flow around the tires. I have them cut about 1-2" above the ground with the MH on it's jacks. That is low enough to shade the entire tire but keep them off the ground. Since I had these made by the same place that made my window covers I think they added about $200 to the price tag. I had wheel covers on my previous MH and such a PIA to use so even if the $200 is more expensive...it is worth it to ME.

Personally, I don't think the tire companies have a dog in the debate of cover or not cover. WAIT, I take that back. If they even suggest to protect them I would take them to heart because the only down side of ignoring them is that you might buy more tires and make them even more money.

BTW...the observation about a spare tire disintegrating under the coach without being used is a bit of a red herring. One reason is that we don't know if it was exposed to road salts and other corrosive events and never getting a chance to get cleaned on occasion. The second reason is that tires actually benefit from being driven on. The act of driving them causes emollients to be released to the surface to help protect and condition the tires.
Well said.
I had the Sunscreen Curtains made for the windshield and while they were at it, I had them make a set of snap on covers for each wheel well.
I have not checked the surface temp of the tires in the sun when the covers are installed but if they are as effective as the one for the windshield, there will be at least a 15 deg. reduction in temperature. Plus they look Cool.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #27

Off topic a tad but.......where did you guys get your Wheel Well Covers?

thanks
Old 03-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Off topic a tad but.......where did you guys get your Wheel Well Covers? thanks
Google "RV tire shades" and you will see a lot.

Mine came with the rig. They have a rope edging that feeds thru a channel on the edge if the wheel well. They totally shade, do not trap moisture, and allow full air movement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2528753708.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	465.0 KB
ID:	58036
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote