Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #29

Since I started RV'ing seven years ago I thought the tire change rule was a bit over stated for us living in less than full searing hot sun northeast. When you think of the hot bed markets for RV's being Florida and the west and southwest, IMHO it's an entirely different conversation. Even while driving in those regions think of the surface temperature of the highways they are rolling on compared to Maine, Vermont, northern New York etc. For winter storage outside I do use tire covers because for $30 they can't hurt and they do offer protection from snow accumulating against the tire and wheel. An acquaintance of mine who happens to be an excellent mechanic, racing cars up and down the east coast has a 1986 Winnebago, stored outside with the original rubber on it!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't mind the few minutes it takes to put tire covers on to delay spending around $4000 for new tires!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
One of the best perks for a service manager is customers trying to stay on his good side. (with me it was pretty easy because i was crazy about almost all of my customers.) I had several customers give me "stuff" for my gas rig when they moved up to a DP. One guy gave me a new set of tire covers for my 19.5's when he moved to a DP with 22.5's. I started using them when I moved my coach to my house upon retirement. I installed two new Michelins on the front in 2007. I installed the tire covers only on the southern side of coach, since the sun did not shine on the other side. Now seven years later the southern side has no cracks, while the northern side with no cover has many small cracks. The only thing I can figure is that the cover keeps off the rain spattering dirt.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing I have found, quite by accident. is that many of those covers do not block UV all that much...

SO, Do I have a set: YES
Do I use them: Occasionally
When: If parked for very long terms (Monthly parking) and over holiday periods (THanksgiving, Halloween, Christmas) since I project scenes on to two of them with projectors.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #33

To determine if UV light is so damaging, compare the quality of the outside dual wheels to the inside dual wheels. So far I see no difference and therefore, don't use wheel covers.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Neal View Post
To determine if UV light is so damaging, compare the quality of the outside dual wheels to the inside dual wheels. So far I see no difference and therefore, don't use wheel covers.
Wait for it. Your rig is only 2 years old.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #35
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Depending on what surface you park your coach on, it can absorb moisture and dry your tires out, especially concrete. Have you ever looked at a block wall when water is present at the base. Within a short amount of time, the wall is absorbing the moisture and the water starts climbing the wall. The same thing happens to tires. Cardboard, wood and other material are a pain to use and deteriorate quickly. I use rubber mud flaps under my tires to protect them.

When it comes to covers, those who drive their coaches the least, need them the most. The lack of exercising the rubber compounds causes the greatest damage. For those with diesel pushers and alloy rims, the covers really keep the wheels clean and protected, making them easier to polish and maintain their luster. I was always polishing my wheels until I started using covers while stored at home. After installing the covers, the rims only needed an occasional touch up.

PERSONALLY....I spent a lot of money on my RV's and I'm not going to cheap out in protecting it from sun damage.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:21 AM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Other than the Aerospace 303, is there any UV tire dressing anyone heard of and has had experience with ?
Just changed my rear tires. The 2 outside tires were checked / small cracks. The 2 inside ones looked new. Same date code. No cracks.
I have covers (came with rig), use them occasionally but I would rather apply a dressing with UV / ozone protecting qualities if there is a thing.

greg6746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:57 AM   #37

Greg6746

Camping world sells a product for this called "Sun Block" good reviews on the site but I cannot give a personal testimonial. This is for UV protection. would like to hear from others who have used it.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #38

I hate cleaning/polishing wheels... this is a good reason to invest in tire covers.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
I hate cleaning/polishing wheels... this is a good reason to invest in tire covers.
This is actually the only reason I would consider using them. Every "theory" I've heard regarding tires just doesn't make sense to me.
UV damage? Why don't the tires on my cars get damaged? Because I drive them more?...so the UV rays know if they're hitting a tire that's spinning vs. stationary? Nope...doesn't work. Never seen truckers use them, either on their tractors or on trailers that are parked for extended periods of time.
"Natural oils need to circulate in the rubber"?...if that theory were true, why don't I see those oils seep out of the bottom of the tires when they sit for extended periods?

Keeping wheels clean?...that one I get, however, for rigs that sit, many folks I've talked to have mentioned that it seems to be a really favored spot for yellow jackets to nest.

My front wheel covers stay clean...so it's only the rear that gets dirty, and once they're polished up once a year with Mother's, doesn't take much more than a quick wipe to make them pop.

Jim
Old 03-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #40

Lobstah, the tires on our cars wear out the tread. I replace my car tires about every 50K miles; about every 2 years or so.

RV tires "age out", but can go over 100K miles and then be re-grooved, but they are the very rare exception.

Some rare folks may have their car tires for over 7 years, but they drive very few miles/year and will do well if garage kept.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #41

Well our school bus company recently changed hands (more then once). over the course of a few years and as things go 'stuff' fell throughout the cracks,one seems that tire records were in the head of a mechanic/manager. (small company) the result of which was we found 20 year old tires on the drives of several buses you could not tell by looking at them.
The spacer between the duels rusted away on one and let the 2 piece rim collapse letting out the air ,
They had been recapped a unknown amount of times but the carcass showed no signs of age what so ever,they sit in the sun for 2 months not moving year after years.
Are commercial tires special? I hope so because my trailer has 17.5" and are staying on until I see cracking.
I wonder if the 5 year rule is a clever viral sales campaign from the tire companies?
hone eagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Lobstah, the tires on our cars wear out the tread. I replace my car tires about every 50K miles; about every 2 years or so.

RV tires "age out", but can go over 100K miles and then be re-grooved, but they are the very rare exception.

Some rare folks may have their car tires for over 7 years, but they drive very few miles/year and will do well if garage kept.
Yup...I'm well aware of that. I just don't think they age any faster when running or parked.

Jim