Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Tire covers - do you tie yours down?

I just put 3 pairs of ADCO tire covers on my motor home. They are a pretty snug fit, and since they came with the bungee cord ties. Well, took me over 30 minutes to get them on - lying on the ground to fish the cords first one direction, then back, especially the tag/drive pairs.

Recently I went to do the monthly fire up and move the coach routine, and I was thinking that it would take me the better part of an hour to take them off and then put them back on. Without the tie downs it is about a 5 minute operation.

So, given that they are pretty snug to begin with, any one have any experience leaving them off? It gets pretty windy here, but even so I am having a hard time seeing how anything short of a tornado would pull them off, and I think I'd have other concerns if that happened.

2006 Patriot Thunder
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I find I can "jam" the long end of the cord under the far end of the tire- between the rubber and the concrete, or whatever the RV pad material is made of. Easy to do and undo. I use the "loop" end for this purpose. The "big ball" end pulls the cover taut.

Held good for me all this winter (since mid-November) here in coastal Mississippi, and we have had our share of strong winds.

Max H,
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire, 37', 3778, W-22, 8.1 Vortac, Ultra Power upgrade, CAI (cold air intake), Taylor wires, colder plugs, Koni shocks.
Max Hubrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't use the bungy cords to keep mine on and I do sometimes have to chase them down when the wind is strong enough and comes from the wrong angle.
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
I have been putting them on for 2 years with out bungees. No problems what so ever. BTW if you own a pusher remember to not dump the air until after you have them on. Ask me how I know. Lol.
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
I did at first, but it was such a PITA, I don't anymore. I bought two with the $50 credit they gave me at the dealer and made another one out of marine UV restraint Naugahyde. It has 2" elastic strap on the top 1/3 that holds it on. I coated all with 303 Protectant.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
I do not use them, but I am glad that put them in the box, thay are great for other uses!!!!!
2008 Monaco Camelot 42 DSQ
Irondale, Alabama
38 Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
I use the bungees and know the problem you have. I fish the bungee to the opposite side of the tire then loop the bungee and feed the loop thru the grommet. Tighten the bungee by pulling on the loop and then feed the free end(the one with the ball on the end) of the bungee thru the loop tightening the loop over the free end. It sound complicated but it beats feeding the bungee back around the tire and chasing the cover in high winds. I also use the awning rod to help fish the bungee around the tire. I can put on four tire cover in about 10 minutes.
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't had to tie mine. They stay on pretty tight and we've been in some pretty gusty wind and their still on.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Country Coach Owners Club
I found them to be a poor design and I bled every time I tried to tie them down. So after screwing with them for a couple of days I returned them. I then made my own for about $16 a piece and they work great.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
No bungees for me. The covers stay on. Never had a problem.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post

X2 GaryKD!!

Plus I hate bending over already with this L-4/L-5 monster in my lumbar spine ready to growl and lash out at the nerve root any time it pleases....
Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Same here...seems those with problems might have gotten a size too small. Even though mine are snug, when I put them one, I flip the end of the bungee with the ball around to the other side of the tire and secure it...just in case.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I do not often use the wheel covers but from just before thanksgiving till new years... They are the "Projection screens" for my holiday projectors, This means they need to be tied on so they remain more or less wrinkle free.

Now as it turns out your RV came with a special tool to fish the tie line around behind the tire.. (I'll bet you did not know that it did) even if it did NOT come with wheel covers it came with this special tool.

The Awning hook.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
I don't use the cord. No problems.

Hootie-Owl is offline   Reply With Quote

« Car Accident | INFO »