Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I currently have the typical wrap tire covers that I put on during the winter storage time. I saw some the other day that must slide into the fender well channel and then hang to the ground, anyone have these are any issues with them. they look better than just the covers and easier to install, but I heard they are about $400 for the 4 tires, OUCH.

ALso, been debating on whether getting a front mask or have the 3M plastic shield installed on the unit. The 3M product is about twice the price, not sure of all of the pros & cons with either. When I was younger, always but the front end masks on my sport cars, but they just hooked on, these would have to use snaps.

majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I currently have the typical wrap tire covers that I put on during the winter storage time. I saw some the other day that must slide into the fender well channel and then hang to the ground, anyone have these are any issues with them. they look better than just the covers and easier to install, but I heard they are about $400 for the 4 tires, OUCH.

ALso, been debating on whether getting a front mask or have the 3M plastic shield installed on the unit. The 3M product is about twice the price, not sure of all of the pros & cons with either. When I was younger, always but the front end masks on my sport cars, but they just hooked on, these would have to use snaps.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #3

I have the 3M mask on my Vectra. I consider it a good value. They're not inexpensive to install (or have installed), but are very nice.

As far as wheel wraps, I can't help you - but theoretically, they should extend the life of your tires 2 to 3 years if properly used. At $2000+ for a set of tires, $400 isn't that big of an expense.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the 3M mask, no complaints so far.

The people who made my sunscreens offered covers for the wheels also. I believe they snap on. The shouldn't cost more than $400 for 4 based on the cost of my 6 sunshades they made for me.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The tire covers that slide into tracks mounted around the curve of the wheel well are made by MCD Innovations in McKinney TX just north of Dallas. Their website is http://www.mcdinnovations.com/, and you will find prices posted. They do look nice, but for the money I like my regular white tire covers I got for $60 a pair!!

We have the 3M vinyl on the front, and I also had a piece put on the cross piece just under the engine access door where careless service guys were scratching the paint. Ours still looks good after 5 years, even with some rock dings, etc. The 3M is basically put it on and forget about it. If by "front mask" you mean something like a "bra," they take a lot more care in terms of keeping dirt/grit off and removing them when parked so they don't affect the paint. No way I would want something else I have to constantly mess with!!
Old 10-01-2008, 02:24 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i did see a 3M on a unit this past weekend, he had a rock chip hit it and went thru the plstic and nicked the paint. he told me 3M did not do anything about it.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:50 AM   #7

It's a protective barrier, not magic. If they would pay to have a rock chip fixed that had penetrated it, I'd have it on the windshields!

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #8
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Don't get a front mask (braw)as it will chafe your paint. I just saw a unit that had both headlights chaffed - the clear plastic looked like there was condensation behind the lense. You will allways get bug guts and sand behind them. Go 3M.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:16 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">had a rock chip hit it and went thru the plstic and nicked the paint </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It protects against most stone chips, but it won't totally stop the big ones ...like the rock I saw flying toward me that I was very glad to have hit and mar the vinyl about 4" below the windshield!! ...or the blissfully ignorant DW's friend who vigorously throws a car door open into the front end...
Old 10-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
FWIW I was at a tire seminar at a rally a few years ago and the question about tire covers was brought up. The Michelin speaker said that if you are going to cover your tires you must wrap the entire tire or you are wasting your time, energy and money. He said the damage comes from ozone and it can reach all sides of the tire not just the side exposed to the sun. I'm not sure I totally agree with that because we see what the sun itself does to many things. Also, some protection is better than no protection. I do not use tire covers though.

My present coach has the 3M mask and I do like it very much.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning, our 2008 Newmar came with a 3M Film.
NEVER again...... after 1 year it starts to look very ugly underneath.... If we order another one.... NO 3M Film...... nothing, just from time to time a good waxjob.

RVgreetings
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">our 2008 Newmar came with a 3M Film. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Are you sure is is 3M??? I think Newmar used Diamond Shield of some other brand. My 3M film was put on in 2003 and still looks great. ...no yellowing or any other problems.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are right, I just called it 3M... it's Diamond Shield...
Looks to me like a waste of money... 2008 it was part of the Standard package.... thats how we got it. : We thought it was a good thing, when we ordered our MH... You learn as you go...
Right now it looks like we did not clean the front. Thanks for reminding me of the correct name...
Evening greetings
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #14

My rig came with 3M film on the front, from the windshield all the way down. In 3 years and 20k miles it is still in great shape. There are a few small dings where an object managed to tear or divit the plastic, but the whole front end still looks great. I wouldn't have a MH without it now. Pushing that flat billboard down the road at 60 MPH, something is bound to hit it. It really helps to protect the full body paint, and I think that it makes the bugs easier to get off.

BTW, I use the single wheel tire covers from CW. They really help to cut down on the maintenance on the Alcoa's.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote