Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
Tire covers - use or not to use

Hi all, I am considering purchasing tire covers for my Momaco. I have read reviews and articles with both pros and cons for using wheel covers. Who here uses them and who does not?

2005 Monaco Monarch SE
FrankAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Other than a few bucks and storage, what are the "Cons?" We use them for UV protection. Also keeps the wheels and tires cleaner. And we carry two extras in case we lose one. \ken

Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Why bother with them? The object is UV protection of the tires. Periodic spraying of the tires and rubber seals of the slides with 303 accomplishes the same thing and you don't have the covers taking up room in your storage.
Monaco 2004 Signature 45' Castle IV Detroit 60
Towing 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #4

Originally Posted by FrankAN View Post
Hi all, I am considering purchasing tire covers for my Momaco. I have read reviews and articles with both pros and cons for using wheel covers. Who here uses them and who does not?
If I am parked outside for more than a day or two, they are installed. I also treat the tires with Aerospace 303 at least a couple times per year.
UV is one of the biggest killers of RV Tires. It pays to look after them.
I have a set of Curtains that snap on around the wheel well. They were custom made with my Windshield Sunscreen.
There are comments that the slip on covers cause the tires to overheat but I'm not sure this is fact so much as someone's opinion. Personally I think any cover will do the job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	505.5 KB
ID:	109363  
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Frank,

When I'm parked more than 2-3 days, I use my covers. It looks nice (mine match my rig), seems to prevent the stinking dogs from urinating on the tires (which pools in the back dual wheel), and can't hurt with UV protection.
JD & Buddy (the ferocious feline) - Full timer out west
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4023 | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The protection wheel covers give very much depends on your Rv'ing style:

If you spend most of your time parked somewhere, wheel covers will give you a great deal of protection against UV damage. On the other hand, if you spend most of your time on the road then the few days here and there you can actually use the wheel covers isn't going to offer much protection in the long run.

If I'm parked more than a day or so, I put them on just because it certainly can't hurt and mine are so easy to install. However, I concur that the best protection would be wheels covers when parked and Aerospace 303 regularly to protect them while parked or driving.
2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 4302
pulling a 2013 Ford Edge Limited

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
I don't bother. They seem a peculiarly-US thing, although some Europeans spending the winter in Morocco park their MH, carefully cover the tyres, strip off most of their clothes and lie in the sun all day every day.
Australia they are virtually unknown and discussions of tyre rot and sidewall cracking just don't happen..
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #8
I use them only for long term storage, a few months.
Barry & Martha Trueman
2014 Bay Star Sport 2702
2008 Goldwing 2006 Harley FLHT
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #9
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just bought some tire covers at CW at a 2 for 1 deal to members. I've already gotten my money's worth for the membership costs, and then some. About $30 for two pair of covers seems prety good to me, even if they provide little benefit. We all know these tires are gonna age out before they run out of tread, but they might as well age as gracefully as possible. I'm not.

After all, the tires are your only connection to the road.
ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I use them if parked for three or more days.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
I've been covering my tires for over 10 years, but only when I home. When we come home from a trip, I back the coach into it's parking spot, where the tires sit on rubber mud flaps, and cover all six exposed tires. I then air down the coach and slide foam insulation over the wipers and install mirror covers over my power mirrors. About 10 minutes of prevention.

The California sun can be brutal on motor homes. The major reason I cover the tires is to protect the rims. On my previous coach, the rims only needed a quick touch up on occasion when covered. My wiper blades are in direct sunlight and collect dirt, when they're not covered. Lastly, the mirror covers protect the chrome and keep birds and other critters out of the mechanisms.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
I cover my tires if I am going to be somewhere for more than one night. The more sun I can keep off the tires, the better, is my feeling.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #13
Wheel covers like the ones that came with my rig look great and are easy on and off.
homeless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I too just bought a set of covers from CW (2 for 1) I will use them while in storage at the house with the 303 spray. A small cost to do all I can to protect the tires for the coach IMO

Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is online now   Reply With Quote