Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tire dates

Looking for new tires

Found six 22.5 inch

3= march 2012

3= aug 2012

Is it even possible to get a set with les than 8 or nine months.?
Whoachubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #2

my Firestones were 2 months old when purchased last April
295-75-22.5
Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #3

I am in the process of getting quotes on 22.5 inch tires. When told that I will not accept anything other than new tires, some sellers have agreed readily, others quickly told me to go elsewhere, some with excuses about the warehouse not checking dates and others honestly saying they just do not want the hassle. I do not know about you, but I am not going to compromise when I am spending that much money.

Keep looking. You will find new tires at a competitive price.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #4

We all do need to be a bit rational with tire date requests. If a dealer or warehouse can not sell a tire a month or 2 old...there won't ever be any tires available...they will be a special order only....which might entale a long wait period until they can schedule making another few of a particular size. Possibly even not make a batch until they have pending orders of a certain amount. Which will definitely make the price increase too
Old 10-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283
We all do need to be a bit rational with tire date requests. If a dealer or warehouse can not sell a tire a month or 2 old...there won't ever be any tires available...they will be a special order only....which might entale a long wait period until they can schedule making another few of a particular size. Possibly even not make a batch until they have pending orders of a certain amount. Which will definitely make the price increase too
I agree. I bought two tires in June while on the road. They were dated March. I was cool with that.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
So how many months old or years are you recommending everyone should still buy them?

Or how old of tires are you willing to buy for your MH or have bought in the past?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #7

Triker, That was a realistic thought of the RV tire industry based on the dealer and warehouse and manufacturer perspective. All I was recommending was to be realistic and rational.

Everyone has to do what they see fit or are comfortable with.

I didn't stress "just made" tires when ordering mine...I got lucky and the 6 that appeared were just barely 2 months old. Prior to the purchase of these 6, 22.5s...I NEVER gave it a worry of the date of manufacture.

When its time for my next set...my purchase will be based on supply and demand...I'll have to buy what is available.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bought 235/75R 22.5 Michelins a few months back, requested as new as possible, They was installed the end on the month with a first of the same month date codes.

Really, even I was surprised.

Jerry
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
I am in the process of getting quotes on 22.5 inch tires. When told that I will not accept anything other than new tires, some sellers have agreed readily, others quickly told me to go elsewhere, some with excuses about the warehouse not checking dates and others honestly saying they just do not want the hassle. I do not know about you, but I am not going to compromise when I am spending that much money.

Keep looking. You will find new tires at a competitive price.
you would be AMAZED at the old date new tires shops try to pass off.
Plus they are stored in unconditioned spaces. I have a hard time believing regional distributors cant locate recent date code units. The amount of blowout stories you read on this forum makes me think the posters are yarn spinners or exaggerators.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #10

Guess I got lucky on ours, they were made the same month 9/11 as we bought them. Coopers, but I imagine they are a more common size also. 16" .
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine were something like a month old when they came in, special order. We had to wait for them to be manufactured and shipped. Even today, some 2 years later they still smell new.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #12

I've seen odd-sized tires sit on racks for 3 years before being sold!!! Although that doesn't pose any danger (they're kept inside, not installed), that is a bit much when you're expecting "brand new tires".

With the smaller tire shops here, they often get old stock, because lets face it....after a tire is made, it might set a dock for a month....then loaded on a truck, then unloaded and put in a Corporate warehouse, then across the boarder from there to a wholesaler warehouse ....and then retailer warehouse....and then to the retailer. It's not a quick process. Average age: 6months old. That said, the tires on my car were merely a few weeks old.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #13

Our new Toyos were < 3 months old. I have been told at rallys that 3 months is not a problem and is about right for most large tires.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Tires are made in batches, and some sizes found only on large RVs are not produced very often. Maybe only once or twice a year by each manufacturer. That can mean that the ones in the warehouse will be older than we might like. Other sizes are widely used commercially as well as on RVS and thus get produced all the time; those are typically available with dates only 1-4 months old.

Personally, I think anything up to 6-7 months old is reasonable. I would get concerned if the best they could do is 9-12 months old, and would check to see if another brand could do better.

One thing you can do is to wait and try again a few months later, hoping to catch a new batch in the warehouse. If the dealer has good connections, he may even be able to get a forecast of when the next batch may be built.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote