Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
It takes 20+ years for UV to deteriorate tires, it takes about 5 years for Ozone to deteriorate tires.

I've never yet figured out a way to protect tires from air.
I never heard that? 5 years for ozone to wreck a tire? Where did you hear/see that?
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #16
dms

Al Gore said it I'm quite sure!
Old 11-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #17

303 protectant is what I've used for 10 years. It's good to clean and treat with it after every trip. It doesn't have petroleum in it. You can get it online for about $45 a gallon.
Dave0559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
I park my DP in an enclosed garage when not used. Always wondered how much those tire dressings really help anything, but they probably do somewhat. But they sure make your ride look nicer, right?
Probably covering your tires if stored outdoors and not in use and tires not sitting in standing water is the two best things you can do if stored outdoors. And keeping them properly inflated when you do use the RV.
awol50
Don't you keep your tires properly inflated at all times?

Unless you deploy the jacks or use jack stands when you're not using the coach....the tires support the weight of the coach whether the coach is being used or not being used.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #19

Quote:
I never heard that? 5 years for ozone to wreck a tire? Where did you hear/see that?
awol50
For the 6 Michelin tires I bought for my coach in 2011 it only took 3-1/2 years...(42 months).

MICHELIN SIDEWALL CRACKS @ 42 MONTHS
Old 11-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #20

303 on tires and everything that is rubber or vinyl. Slide seals and tracks, inside and out. Rubber/vinyl inserts around the windows. Exterior door/baggage door seals. Even give your coach's decals a coat of 303. If your using tire covers, give them a coat of 303.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
awol50
For the 6 Michelin tires I bought for my coach in 2011 it only took 3-1/2 years...(42 months).

MICHELIN SIDEWALL CRACKS @ 42 MONTHS
How do you know it is ozone?
Old 11-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #22

Quote:
How do you know it is ozone?

awol50
I have no proof that ozone caused my Michelin tires to crack... I have to take Michelin's word for it.

I had my 42 month old sidewall cracked Michelin XZE tires inspected by an authorized Michelin dealer.... who took photos of the sidewall cracks on all 6 of the tires and submitted a "warranty claim" to Michelin on my behalf.

Michelin Customer Care determined that the cracks where caused by "ozone exposure"...and that those cracks where bad enough that "the tires where no longer safe to use".

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 11-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #23

Quote:
awol50

Unless you deploy the jacks or use jack stands when you're not using the coach....the tires support the weight of the coach whether the coach is being used or not being used.
No. Why would I? It is not as if potentially losing a couple pounds of air is going to hurt anything while parked. Anyone who does what you propose probably has to much free time on their hands.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #24

Quote:
awol50
Quote:
No. Why would I? It is not as if potentially losing a couple pounds of air is going to hurt anything while parked. Anyone who does what you propose probably has to much free time on their hands.
awol50
I don't disagree with that.

But I don't understand when/why you think I'm wasting my time?

When I store my coach I store it with the tires inflated to the same psi that I use when traveling, (aka: "properly inflated").....which takes NO additional time.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Tire prep for storage.

Clean and dry. No chemicals on the tires. Park on plastic or metal so as to prevent moisture from migrating out of concrete, wood, gravel, dirt, and any other porous material that can attract moisture. Moisture causes dry rot which is the source of sidewall cracks and other life shortening damage to your tires. The sun does cause damage but it is minor compared to moisture. Driving the vehicle is the best protectant for the tires as it keeps the chemicals in the rubber circulating when the tires are warmed up. Of course that is not always possible with vehicles we layup during the winter. Thus the other methods above are a decent alternative.
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Extra virgin olive oil brushed on liberely.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #27

Quote:
awol50
I have no proof that ozone caused my Michelin tires to crack... I have to take Michelin's word for it.

I had my 42 month old sidewall cracked Michelin XZE tires inspected by an authorized Michelin dealer.... who took photos of the sidewall cracks on all 6 of the tires and submitted a "warranty claim" to Michelin on my behalf.

Michelin Customer Care determined that the cracks where caused by "ozone exposure"...and that those cracks where bad enough that "the tires where no longer safe to use".

Mel
'96 Safari
No, that is not what I meant. Just because somebody at a Michelin tire dealer says so does not make it so. Do you have anything from some sort of scientific study that shows that tires degrade that fast from ozone?
I have had tires on some of the vehicles I just putt around in that are over 10 years old and no signs at all of sidewall cracking. These vehicles are always kept in an enclosed garage when not being used which protects them from UV, but obviously not ozone.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #28

Quote:
awol50
I don't disagree with that.

But I don't understand when/why you think I'm wasting my time?

When I store my coach I store it with the tires inflated to the same psi that I use when traveling, (aka: "properly inflated").....which takes NO additional time.
Wasting time? That is up to you whether you consider it a waste of time. Of course it takes extra time. Because you are inferring you check/add air on a regular basis while parked, both of which take time.

I guess I see no value in physically checking air pressure in tires when parked. Visually looking at tires occasionally when parked is sufficient unless you suspect unusual leakage. Even a tire 20 psi under inflated does no harm while parked, when the fully inflated psi is in the 100 psi range.

Tags
storage