Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
That is probably one of the better points brought up on this subject. If the motorhome sits, the likelihood of a brake hanging up is quite high.

If the brake was dragging that hot to overheat a tire, then the brake should have been smoking bad and the burn't brake pad smell should have been overwhelming.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
If the brake was dragging that hot to overheat a tire, then the brake should have been smoking bad and the burn't brake pad smell should have been overwhelming.
In theory, that sounds reasonable.....but not always true.
Believe me, or not - I know what I'm talking about.
It's worth the OP checking out - is all I'm saying.
Rock-N-Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:48 AM   #17

We had a similar thing happen several years ago. Sitting in a campground on Sunday morning. Had been there since Thursday with the jacks down taking a little load off the two year old tires with maybe 4,000 mile on them. Suddenly, boom!! Came running out and hear air leaking out. Sidewall had just blown out on the ps outside dual. Pressures were good on all the tires before we left home and drove the 50 miles to the campground. Took the tire back to the dealer and they had no explanation. Just "stuff happens". I will say that the tires in that set were all junk. They were Kellys made by Goodyear. Had almost all of them fail in some manner before they were all replaced.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #18

I've been mesmerized by this Youtube https://youtu.be/Vtt41vbgwn4 all about an MH graveyard in Kentucky. They talk about the majority of the wrecked vehicles were the result of one or more blown front tires resulting in a crash. Replace those tires after 5-7 years for sure.
Fairfieldwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #19

Maybe I missed it, but did you say how long you've owned this coach and if you were the one that purchased the tires? If you haven't owned it the entire 8 years that the tires have been on the coach, you have no way to know how often they were run low on air in the past. To me, buying a coach with used tires is like buying a pig in a poke.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smile

Thanks for all the insightful information and tips. We are replacing all the tires. I have owned this coach 8 years and put new tires on it when I bought it - just thought 10 years was the target time...apparently that is incorrect. Friday is the day for new tires.

The Brakes may have dragged but I believe my TPMS would have provided a heat-alarm which it did not. This was a sudden catastrophic failure so either dry-rot, perhaps road-debris in the past, or a defect in the tire.

I get a kick out of reading everyone's perspective and thoughts --- take care and thanks so much...Happy Trails!!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfieldwiz View Post
...They talk about the majority of the wrecked vehicles were the result of one or more blown front tires resulting in a crash. ....
While nice looking folks they do not appear to be trained in root cause accident investigation. Every root cause investigation I did included a manager who knew immediately the cause and they were always wrong.

The object of a lessons learned program is to learn the right lesson.

Before taking our granddaughter in the MH I did some serious research. Dying in you class A MH accident is very unlikely. About 5 per year.

My conclusion is that as a group Class A MH drivers are a cautious group.

Generally speaking fatal accidents do not leave enough of the class A MH to be parted out in a salvage yard.

When a steer tire blow out occurred it was at a bottom of a hill and over loaded.

So keep your speed down and minimize what you take with you.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:25 PM   #22

Anyone running eight year old tires has more guts than me.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:20 AM   #23

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/art...-on-tire-aging
reosw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:21 AM   #24

See post on final word on tire aging. 5 is not a "rule", 8 is not a "rule". Read the facts from a tire distributor, with a vested interest in selling more, not fewer new tires.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:06 AM   #25

Time bombs

So the bottom line is we are all driving ticking time bombs ? Goodyear sucks, Michelin sucks, TPMS is worthless in a blow out, almost new tires fail, old tires fail. Tires simply explode for no reason and no one ever does the diligence to ascertain WHY the tire simply "exploded"

What no one seems to have done is an actuarial table comparing the number of millions of miles driven on any given tire to the failure rate. The vehicular death rate is currently 1.16 per 100 million miles drives. Dying in a commercial airline crash, a minute fraction of that.

Ergo, rather than myriad "opinions" on when to replace you tires, or what brand is least likely to "explode", will someone please publish statistics on the number of blowouts of each brand, the age at the time of failure, the cause and any mitigating circumstances, and other pertinent facts so that we can dispense with conjecture and opinions and provide substantive information to consumers rather than creating unnecessary paranoia.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfieldwiz View Post
I've been mesmerized by this Youtube https://youtu.be/Vtt41vbgwn4 all about an MH graveyard in Kentucky. They talk about the majority of the wrecked vehicles were the result of one or more blown front tires resulting in a crash. Replace those tires after 5-7 years for sure.

I've watched that video and if you watch it again and look closely you'll see the largest cause is related to.....

Fires.

Either engine related or fridge related.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by reosw View Post
So the bottom line is we are all driving ticking time bombs ?
That is correct!

The nuclear industry does have a rule for the age of rubber components in safety related applications.

It is five years. I did a root cause of a failure detected by required testing. Maintenance had been deferred beyond the five year point.

Saying someone is more likely to die in pane crash is total nonsense.

If you are driving a MH yuou are responsible for the life of the person sitting next to you. And maybe your children and grandchildren. And the oncoming traffic.

So go ahead and drive with old tires. Drive down that hill at 75-80 mph on a hot day. Overload your rig by hauling a huge utility trailer with all your toys. And no reason to have your grandchildren in seat belts because it is not required by a rule.

Tires do fail. Responsible drivers live to share their experience.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #28

Commercial Member

One fact that few engineers and not all tire engineers know is that there is a "T" for time function in any calculation on tire component strength, with the time normally being measured in years. What makes this more complex is that the T for time is also changed by the T for temperature and that response is not linear but the effect doubles every increase in temperature of 18°F.
I was able to demonstrate this to my manager by setting up a 2 tire test.
Inflated to a certain pressure that was well below the normal failure pressure. Places in our tire burst chamber and both tires failed within a couple of hours of each other 18 days after starting the test.

Yes, the basic format for the formula for tire failure X number of days at Y inflation and z temperature. The problem is the nonlinear nature of the response. When the conditions exceed normal temperatures by 150% or pressure by 250% the time can be weeks or months. But if the temperature were reduced by 18F the resulting length of time might increase by 80% to 120% depending on the type of rubber used. Even the tire size comes into play and changing the rubber might result in a loss of wear of 50%.
Tires are nor simply rubber poured into a mold and cured.

I am posting a great 10 min video on modern tire manufacturing in a couple of weeks. You can check my blog if you are interested.