Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #1

Tire failure as usual so Im going to vent a bit

Anyone ever experience this?
Im sitting in my driveway and all of a sudden my outboard tire blows alittle hole in its inside sidewall?
I hadnt driven it in 3 months.
I have put up for the last 10 years as all of us have with the crappy low life expectancies from them. They always come apart and take part of the rv with them as they come apart. The have always occured from 45 to 55 mph that usually my top speed.
This last issue really irritates me.
Its just hard to get used to as we dont expect this with our cars. 10 wheelers dont have this issue so often do they?
Why dont they build us a more reliable tire? Charge us more.
We shouldnt have to endure this really poor tire life expectancy.
Im talking 5000 miles to 10000 miles and from 2-4 years old.
Its just irritating thats all. Ive been a class A owner since 1996, I never had this many failures on my last RV and I bought used 19.5s back in the late 90s.
I buy new goodyears on my 2001 rexhal and have had more problems... it seems .
Is it goodyears or are all of the tires this unreliable?

Ive put 20K on my old rv and 20K on my present one btw

Ill have to start checking mfg dates on the tires. I keep the tires about at 110. My old RV I ran 90 to 100 lbs
I rarely exceed 55.
PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
what brand and load range tires are you buying?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

... and how did you arrive at those pressures? I believe having your coach weighed and then referencing the tire mfg inflation charts is the best way.

Having said that, I do seem to hear a lot of complaints about Goodyear tires.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Had Goodyears on one....not so good. I put on Bridgestone highway RIB radials and no more problems. Had Firestones on another one....bad tires. Replaced with Bridgestones again....no more problems. I run Michelins on my F350 and no problems.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
What size of the 19.5" are you using?
245/70/19.5 are only rated to 100 PSI
Are they G670's or another model?
What is your 4 corner weights?
Are they covered from UV while sitting?

Prices are high enough now to build a good safe tire.
If your tires are only 2 years old like you say.
Then they are still in the 4 year Goodyear warranty and should be covered.

A few years ago some XRV Michelin's were reported on forums blowing out just sitting. They were 22.5"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #6

I know there lots of details that can make a big diff,but I couldnt see the date code as its still on the rv,but the sidewall leak is on a
G159 1 ply steel sidewall. as I find more info Ill post

====================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSprings View Post
Anyone ever experience this?
Im sitting in my driveway and all of a sudden my outboard tire blows alittle hole in its inside sidewall?
I hadnt driven it in 3 months.
I have put up for the last 10 years as all of us have with the crappy low life expectancies from them. They always come apart and take part of the rv with them as they come apart. The have always occured from 45 to 55 mph that usually my top speed.
This last issue really irritates me.
Its just hard to get used to as we dont expect this with our cars. 10 wheelers dont have this issue so often do they?
Why dont they build us a more reliable tire? Charge us more.
We shouldnt have to endure this really poor tire life expectancy.
Im talking 5000 miles to 10000 miles and from 2-4 years old.
Its just irritating thats all. Ive been a class A owner since 1996, I never had this many failures on my last RV and I bought used 19.5s back in the late 90s.
I buy new goodyears on my 2001 rexhal and have had more problems... it seems .
Is it goodyears or are all of the tires this unreliable?

Ive put 20K on my old rv and 20K on my present one btw

Ill have to start checking mfg dates on the tires. I keep the tires about at 110. My old RV I ran 90 to 100 lbs
I rarely exceed 55.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I near got kicked off the forum by stating my experiances;; Our motorhome was less then 2 years old . Of the freeway north of Las vases at about 70 MPH one Sunday morning The Left front, Under my wifes feet Blew out . It was a mishalin Rv tire . They were famious for the inside to blow out to what is discribed as the Zipper sidewall affect. Well we called Our road service they had us back of the road in on time flat maybe 1 1/2 hours it was great; This happened at the Albaqurue Ballon fest. Well in May the next spring Back in Massoula MT> the inside Rear Duel blew out. Well my wife was it the bathroom at the time. She came out of the room not very happy. Anyway we got to a truck stop. that also sold tires. Talked to the tire manwhat he told me was vary disturbing,, The mish. RV tire was built with softer side walls to make it ride better . But they are Prone to the Zipper blowouts.; I replaced all 6 Tires with one size larger 295x 22.5 Green line X truck tires . IT was the best money I ever spent . It rides more ferm Rather then sloch lihe a bucket of water. And we picked up over 1 1/2 ++ MPG>> I done it I know . Those that have not done it will Dissagree;; Life is good ;;; If you are on the winning side;; Max; Tire life 7 years ,, Reccomenneded is 4 years.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't know what size G 159 you have but on our old MH, we only carried 78 lbs in our tires according to the wt chart. We carry 105 front and 100 rear on our 22.5 Michelins on our present MH. Sorry to hear of your problems.
Beabop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #9

I was going from "memory" and I guess my recall wasnt as good as I expected. So heres what the tires say:
The rears are 245 70 19.5 G159's F load rated ,85 pounds recommended
fronts are 245 70 19.5 G647 G load rating,100 lb recommended
I have been driving around with 85 pounds in the rear until last march I mistakenly put 100 lbs in them (havent driven them w/100 lbs) cause that is what the fronts were. So they have sat in my driveway at 100 pounds for 7 months and a hole blows in my sidewall?
I dunno. Do the "experts" on tires really think this would occur? Tires have to be designed to handle huge increases in tire pressures from hitting bumps,etc. Recommended limits are set well below failure limits (for legal protection). The only difference is that it has to hold a measly 15 pounds over recommended pressure for 7 months and that causes a breach in the sidewall?
I do find that hard to imagine... IMO. though I could be wrong .... am I now a pin head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beabop View Post
I don't know what size G 159 you have but on our old MH, we only carried 78 lbs in our tires according to the wt chart. We carry 105 front and 100 rear on our 22.5 Michelins on our present MH. Sorry to hear of your problems.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSprings View Post
So they have sat in my driveway at 100 pounds for 7 months and a hole blows in my sidewall?
I dunno. Do the "experts" on tires really think this would occur? Tires have to be designed to handle huge increases in tire pressures from hitting bumps,etc. Recommended limits are set well below failure limits (for legal protection). The only difference is that it has to hold a measly 15 pounds over recommended pressure for 7 months and that causes a breach in the sidewall?
I do find that hard to imagine...
I too find it hard to believe that this would happen just because they had been at that pressure for 7 months.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The slightly excessive pressure wouldn't cause the blow-out, especially just sitting there. 100 psi is within the tire's spec range, according to the GY spec sheet. Either the tire had a defect or the sidewall structure got damaged internally, e.g. by a hitting a pothole or road hazard. No real way to tell after the fact.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote